MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a mixed bag.

Two sculpts is a bonus, and they look like they might be okay but for the paint being a bit shiny.

He has more clothing under the jumpsuit. The flamethrower is good. Sculpted boots are okay, but is that an unsightly mould seam going up the side?

The spider-head is better than the dog, which looks a little cheap and untextured.

However, at $265 with free shipping, if this was a third party from OneSixthKit (i.e. no extra tax to pay), it wouldn't be so bad.

The big let down is the jacket, because it doesn't look like it's tailored properly. I don't think there's a single photo where they managed to flatten the collar down, so it's doomed to be stuck up forever.

Sometimes I think we focus too much on what we feel is wrong with something, rather than what is cool about it, as collectors. If I had space, I would nab this. That being said, NECA scale is more cost and space effective for me at this time (after collecting over 3 decades now). I realize none of these things are ever perfect. Heck, even Rainman's amazing Psycho set, I can find things wrong with. Namely the lack of undergarments, stocking, and shoes on Mrs. Bates, and the incorrect design of the chair she sits in. It didn't stop me from getting that set though, because.....there's nothing out there.

If you want a Mac, and NECA isn't gonna "scratch that itch", this may be your best bet unless you go unlicensed custom.
Sure. There's plenty of figures I bought that had problems, but if there's a figure where the main bits stand out as particularly underwhelming plus a price that you're not feeling then it's gotta be a skip. Having said that, you should buy this if you like it. Room be damned. As you said ,there might not be another. Maybe sell off some old stuff. I got rid of a fourth of my collection this past year.

To do or not to do is the question and probably the real monster. In the event that I weaken I will go with the standard version and move the jacket on, I do not like the exposed zipper. Now what did I do with the reel of copper wire and Palmer's petri dish?

Last edited:
Wow - a lot of negativity here today.

I don't get the attraction of the NECA release(s) - that head sculpt was so awful if was a VERY easy pass for me.

I really don't care about any clothing inaccuracies on this MONDO piece - it's the head sculpts that sell this all the way for me.

Did the maths on prices though, and $265 USD converts to around $370 CAD, and I'll get tagged for about $55 CAD taxes/duties on the way in. So, at a total of $425 CAD, I've decided to only get 1 instead of 2 :lol

It better look like that 'in Hand'..I hope Mondo understands that matching a prototype (like Hot Toys does) is essential because if it doesn't, you can kiss goodbye making any further 1/6 scale figures

Prototype shown. Final product may vary.

:panic:

I've warmed up more to the set, but the jacket is holding me back. It's his iconic look, but it doesn't really resemble it.

https://bamfstyle.com/2022/06/25/th...cReady's jacket,according to the Schott blog.

ThingKR-CL1-Jacket.jpg

Maybe I've been spoiled by DID's leather jackets?

Last edited:
One of the first lessons of high end collecting I learned was not to pay up front if you can avoid it. I got burned a couple of times, even by a seemingly reputable company that went belly up and then shrugged their shoulders when customers came asking for refunds. This happened with Big Chief Studios recently.

Mondo seems like a reasonably successful company, but. . .who really knows, and when you may be waiting a year or more, you won't have any protection from your credit card company if they end up not delivering.

I don't like this situation. Would like to have this guy, and I don't think I would get the regular without the monsters, but this is giving me pause. Plus, as others have mentioned, it frankly doesn't look like the price matches the product from what I'm seeing. Even SSC would do something of a higher quality than this with their prototype. If it were < $200 it would seem more reasonable, but given that they charge over $50 for posters (many $80!) I guess this is no surprise. You pay Hot Toys prices for a Mezco like product.
I want to get this but I don't want to pay in advance. Will other retailers be carrying the non-timed edition?

I really dig those sculpts, definitely the best MacReady sculpts out there. The things look relatively cheap to produce, especially the dog one so I don't know why they are exclusives. Overall it reminds me of an old Sideshow figure but taking into account this is likely the only 1/6 MacReady we'll see for a while I don't think a lot of you will skip it.
Unfortunately there's 3 things keeping me from getting this, the import fees which will double the price, the upfront payment and the now confirmed to be fake leather jacket, for what will end up being around a $400 figure I just don't know if I can justify the price.

I don't think the exclusive is great. What I love is extra heads. Shame they didn't spend that money on another head sculpt. I think this, if you miss the exclusive it's okay.

I am ordering the Timed exclusive because I like the figs and sculpted head and looks good, bot perfect....

Wish they weathered the jacket now that I seen some photos or used leather. Pleather is a disaster. All my Hot Toys using pleatehr has flaked.....every one.

This will 100% be one of those figures people regret passing on that then proceeds to go for $400+ on secondary market.

Personally, if I were on the fence, I'd order the exclusive and decide later if you want to keep it once its in hand. There's no way someone down the line doesn't want this and you end up losing money on it. Even sideshow's snake plissken goes for good money still and that headsculpt doesn't hold a candle to this one.

I've been waiting for this figure to be made for a long time so I'm definitely picking it up.

I can’t believe I’m too lazy to figure it out…but does anyone know when this is “supposed” to ship?

Wow - a lot of negativity here today.

I don't get the attraction of the NECA release(s) - that head sculpt was so awful if was a VERY easy pass for me.

I really don't care about any clothing inaccuracies on this MONDO piece - it's the head sculpts that sell this all the way for me.

Did the maths on prices though, and $265 USD converts to around $370 CAD, and I'll get tagged for about $55 CAD taxes/duties on the way in. So, at a total of $425 CAD, I've decided to only get 1 instead of 2 :lol

Oh, so you're gonna' make me the only person who bought two? :lol

Back