Mondo 1/6 Scale He-man and The Masters of the Universe figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Those pics look cool but unfortunately they're just 1/6 scale 12" action figures like the turtles. Not that there's anything wrong with that until they decide to sell them for $200. That's when I have a problem. The same reason I won't buy the Turtles. I can't justify those prices for molds of solid plastic with no mixed media. No matter how nice they are there's no reason to be priced out like Hot Toys when there's no comparison in design and manufacturing. No reason why they shouldn't include real leather/cloth for clothing and metal weapons. And no way the licensing fees cost more than properties like Star Wars or Marvel/DC franchises. I do look forward to seeing how they turn out though. Congrats to those looking forward to them. :)

It seems odd that people don't like these prices but willingly pay $200+ for what is essentially a ****ing Barbie doll ( Maria Hill, Black Widow)

Amazes me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems odd that people don't like these prices but willingly pay $200+ for what is essentially a ****ing Barbie doll ( Maria Hill, Black Widow)

Amazes me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calm the hell down man. you 're acting like someone insulted you. good lord.

Those pics look cool but unfortunately they're just 1/6 scale 12" action figures like the turtles. Not that there's anything wrong with that until they decide to sell them for $200. That's when I have a problem. The same reason I won't buy the Turtles. I can't justify those prices for molds of solid plastic with no mixed media. No matter how nice they are there's no reason to be priced out like Hot Toys when there's no comparison in design and manufacturing. No reason why they shouldn't include real leather/cloth for clothing and metal weapons. And no way the licensing fees cost more than properties like Star Wars or Marvel/DC franchises. I do look forward to seeing how they turn out though. Congrats to those looking forward to them. :)

I get preferring the mixed media look. But cost to produce wise, full sculpted is more usually.

And you are correct, licensing on Star Wars and marvel is more. But those are produced in larger (lots larger) numbers. A fully sculpted, unique tooled figure like this, with a smaller production run is going to cost more to produce then most hot toys figures.

I'm thinking since the PCS Battlecat is too small for the 1:4 He-man to actually sit on, It might be a good fit for the Mondo 1:6 He-man to sit on the PCS Battlecat statue. I'll probably experiment with that when I get them in hand.

---

I get preferring the mixed media look. But cost to produce wise, full sculpted is more usually.

Really??? Every company I've ever heard talk about this issue ALWAYS say cut & sew is more expensive than sculpted parts. That's for mass produced figures or smaller production runs. :huh

I've been attending SDCC for 10 years and I can't say I remember one time of any company saying different.

Really??? Every company I've ever heard talk about this issue ALWAYS say cut & sew is more expensive than sculpted parts. That's for mass produced figures or smaller production runs. :huh

I've been attending SDCC for 10 years and I can't say I remember one time of any company saying different.

Cut and sew, depending on pattern and complexity, is cheaper then tooled parts. For mass produced. And small scale. But it does depend on many things. I can make a pattern and cut and sew 10 wolverine costumes for around 25 bucks (each) in time and material. But to sculpt an outfit, cast it, clean it up, do a master mold, cast 10 copies, clean those up, assemble and paint the cost is substantially more.

Something like say the ezio figure from hot toys is more complex and expensive. But that said you can program a embroidery pattern into a computer controlled machine and it's not that bad. Cut and sew is generally(it depends on what is being made, what exact material, quantity ect) much cheaper though.

When comparing mass produced it's a but more complicated. But again usually the new (not comparing re-used tooling/molds as that obviously changes things) tooled sculpted stuff is more expensive to produce. But if you use high end leather and hand sewing and what not then that is going to cost more, usually. But action figures usually don't use that stuff. I'm not sure who you talked to or what about at sdcc(I have gone 15 or so times, and to probably 70 or so other cons over the years. Probably more)..so I can't speak to what they said without knowing the circumstance and all that.

This is just in regards to the larger scale items. Doing cut and sew in a gi joe, vs the sculpted in details is a whole seperate issue. That would cost more. But becuase the size and number of parts and tooling. With the 1/6 figures that are well detailed and painted the parts are often broken down further. Like a 3 3/4 gi joe may have say 20 parts (head, body half a, upper and lower legs and arms) a 1/6 hot toys may have(for iron man as he is fully sculpted) hundreds. The more parts the more tooling. More tooling is more cost. And tooling is the single largest production cost on a figure (not counting overhead and licensing ect).

If you wanted a 1/6 scale custom mixed material (leather and cotton and spandex) wolverine costume I can make you one for 100 bucks. And can others. But a 1/6 scale sculpted wolverine body with costume can run 500-1000. Easy. Now that's a production run of 1. So cost is a bit skewed and misleading. The difference inst that far apart. But it's hard to give you numbers you can go check when the production costs and numbers of most business are so private. But you could check those with private sellers.

On small scale you can do a raw casting for fairly cheap. And get a cut and sew costume fairly cheap. Around the same price depending. but to do a painted and final sculpted item the price is a lot more.

I'm really not looking for an argument or fight. Just trying to explain.

Last edited:
Got a few more pics. Including a good one of one of the swords from the mondo team.

Should have more tomorrow...

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Looks damn cool , I am curious if they go to hyperrealism paint like hot Toys or toys like paint

They have to fix those elbow joints if nothing else. Hot Toys level paint should be used given the price.

Back