1/6 MOLA RAM Custom Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outfit looks good, although I think I prefer the more textured fabric Spenser used on his, at least for the Ceremonial robe. The Deniz seems like it would be better for the Monk version, as it's got that more flowy sort of look to it.

I think you are exactly right. I'm putting together a review now, but at the end of the day, sadly, Deniz was unable to find the kind of material that Spenser used. Spenser's material is almost gauze-like in texture which captures the weave of the actual ceremonial outfit and gives it some character. The Deniz material is smooth, heavier (so now ballooning) and hangs well which lends itself to the more simple Monk outfit. Spenser's outfit is fuller, but water treatment will slim it down and allow you to shape it. Water treatment will likely be unnecessary with Deniz' outfit, but it is tricky to get the folds to stay in place.

I will post some rough comparisons tomorrow.

That all said, I had resigned myself to just one Mola Ram, and that one was going to be the Ceremonial version with all the gear and headdress. But now, with both outfits on display in front of me, I'm kind of wanting a 2nd Mola Ram in that Bad Ass Monk outfit. The two looks are so different, particularly the painted head versus the headdress. But then the more revealing Monk outfit does bring me back to the bigger problem: finding the right body.

Yeah now that I'm almost done with his ceremonial look, I find myself really wanting to put together his other look as well now. Especially since I think Spenser's sculpt works just as good without the headdress on. And I think it would be cool to see the two on display together.

But given it was already fairly expensive and time-consuming collecting the parts and putting together this one figure, I can't see myself doing all that a second time. So will probably just live with the Mola I have.

So I gave away the punchline above, but here is a slightly more detailed review... (and pictures, which is all that really matters)

As mentioned very early in this process, Deniz was unable to acquire the gauze-like material and instead used a material which has great weight (so no ballooning) and a very rich deep black color (as well as vibrant red), but it does not have the texture nor the poseability of the fabric we ideally wanted (and which Spenser ultimately brought to the table when he offered his outfit). I do not think that water treatment will aid much here as the weight of material is such that its drapes nicely but as soon as you move it, the material will shift and change.

The outfit was designed in three separate parts so it is extremely easy to dress a figure. Takes literally seconds -- tie the skirt on, clip the band in place, pull the robe over the head, and wrap the sash accordingly... DONE! But you will be taking the rest of the time in pinching, pulling and tweaking the robe to your liking. I would recommend some double-sided tape in a few strategic places otherwise it may slip from the shoulder or open on the side, etc.

The benefit of the separate pieces is that you can make an alternate look -- the Bad Ass Monk look. Now originally the intent was the skirt and sash alone for the Monk, but the material did not create a full enough flowing skirt. However, by using the robe to further fill out the skirt, you can create a solid enough Monk look as shown below. I think most people will go full Ceremonial, as that is the more dramatic look, but it is nice to have to option.

Deniz COMP for post.jpg

Here are both looks together (Spenser Ceremonial and Deniz Monk)...

Ceremonial + Monk.jpg

As far as direct comparisons between Spenser and Deniz, I will be posting pictures so you can better see each.

In short, I believe that Spenser's outfit benefits from the correct material -- it has great texture and its poofiness can be tamed and shaped by water treatment. Spenser's is a single-piece with a defined shape (and a bit complicated at first to sort) but it will give you a fantastic ceremonial outfit once fitted and water treated for shape. Deniz material is less poofy but also has no texture. It is a snap to put on but is difficult to keep its shape once moved. However, it has the benefit of being in three separate parts, so changing the look (like the length of the sash or where the robe opens, etc) can be achieved as well as allowing for a completely different second look (the Monk). So it really depends on what you want for your display.

But after 2 decades of no 1/6th Mola Ram, I am thrilled that we now have so many options...

Looks good. I'm going all out with the full look. Few more pieces to get. I'm thinking to dye the body first and then doing a wash over Spencer's to tone it to the body. Any advice on the dye job. I have not tried to dye a body yet.

I have never dyed a body, yet. But I imagine take it slow and build up the darker shades by using a little dye at first, dunking the figure for a minute and see how much has changed. I'd leave a foot out or something so I could see the difference, otherwise sometimes its hard to tell working in a vacuum.

I do wonder what is the advantage to dying a body as opposed to staining it with watered down acrylic paint? I've had no trouble staining the rubber torso on various bodies or the entire body of my German Mechanic with just watered-down acrylic paint in the shade I want the body.

Also, just wanted to post this COMPARISON photo of the Deniz outfit (Top) and the Spenser outfit (Bottom).

(Spenser has an advantage here of having the JX body -- Deniz is using a basic narrow-shoulder knock-off body which is shorter and not as full)

Deniz vs Spenser COMP.jpg

Yeah given how little skin will be showing in the ceremonial outfit, I would think some dark washes of paint is all that's necessary, and it worked fine for mine. And if you spray the body with some dullcoat to help the paint adhere, and then seal up afterwards with a few more layers, it should prevent the paint from scratching off too easily (plus you have those black leather wraps to help cover the joints).

I definitely recommend finding some darker wrist pegs to use though, as those things are always impossible to keep covered in paint.

Thanks Wor. I actually like the top one even on the different body. I'll try the paint staining method. Funny how the iop pick the sculpt looks much darker(like what I have). Or do you have two sets?

Thanks Wor. I actually like the top one even on the different body. I'll try the paint staining method. Funny how the iop pick the sculpt looks much darker(like what I have). Or do you have two sets?

The sculpt is the same in both sets, but lighting is slightly different and the position of the head (top being tilted down from the light)... also, in the Spenser pics (below) I photoshopped the neck darker so the transition was smoother, and did the same for the top set but a little less effectively.

At some point I will need to paint my body as well and strip him free of the Spenser gear. Once the body is finished, I'll put Deniz outfit on for photos as well as Spenser so there will be a much better comparison with the same body and coloring adjusted. I just need my wife to go out of town for 2 days so I can work without the stares. :)

Thanks for all the comparisons, Wor. Both look really good in photos to be honest, with the smooth material of the Deniz outfit reminding me of the SS premium format in some ways, though I know they fudged it on accuracy.

Just got my tracking for the Deniz outfit, interested to see how it fits on the Dominic body. Still always love how the headdress in certain photos makes Mola look like he has these badass 70s sideburns. :lol Think it's the shadows from the sides of the skull.

Wolfman Ram!

I am eager to see other Deniz outfits in play. The Mola madness has only just begun.

Again, I'd be happy with either outfit... luck has shined upon us all with two choices. And Spenser's sculpt work is just amazing. I was once again admiring the work on the necklaces when I was switching stuff out. This project really got very lucky in so many ways despite the unlucky time we are experiencing.

Thanks for all the comparisons, Wor. Both look really good in photos to be honest, with the smooth material of the Deniz outfit reminding me of the SS premium format in some ways, though I know they fudged it on accuracy.

Just got my tracking for the Deniz outfit, interested to see how it fits on the Dominic body. Still always love how the headdress in certain photos makes Mola look like he has these badass 70s sideburns. :lol Think it's the shadows from the sides of the skull.

Does yout tracking # work. Mine still shows nothing. Will give it a few more days.

Does yout tracking # work. Mine still shows nothing. Will give it a few more days.

Hey Dwing, can you shoot me an email? I don't know who is who from their nicknames however I have all Mola Ram tracking numbers working now from my end. I want to check ASAP if/why yours is not working at the moment. Cheers.

I was looking under usps, I think. When I used the above link I got:

"2020-09-18 13:21:39 Gonderi yurt disina sevk edildi (Giden) The item was forwarded to the destination country (Otb), - Turkey--"

Yup, that's what mine looked like, and same thing, I checked USPS after and it just said label created or something to that effect.

Back