Modify tips for Hot Toys 1/4 Dark Knight Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have enough of these legs extension, but if you open the boots up, you'll be able to use some vacuum hose to extend the height of it :) I'm only making these as gift for those who got a cape from me, once the supply is out, I'm not making them any more.

I'm in for a cape, if it's like the one in your pics.

I plan to video record everything I do.

Please do, love your videos

Hoy did you change the shape of the straps? They flair out, but yours don't.

you can soften the strap by either hair dryer or hot water/cold seal technique

once the hot water soften the straps, just put it on to the hands then seal it with cold water. :wink1:

Do I have the right idea here?

I'm in for a cape, if it's like the one in your pics.

I offer a few different type, I'll give you the detail thru email.

Don't think I'll be removing the fat suit or anything like that. But pretty sure I'll be doing the glove mod soon.

I plan to video record everything I do.

:yess: I'm glad that you changed your mind about modding him.

I don't have enough of these legs extension, but if you open the boots up, you'll be able to use some vacuum hose to extend the height of it :) I'm only making these as gift for those who got a cape from me, once the supply is out, I'm not making them any more.

Is that offer only to those who bought the capes for the QS001, or can they extend to those who just bought the wired cape for the EB Batman and who is still waiting for their QS001 figure to arrive? :pray:

:yess: I'm glad that you changed your mind about modding him.

Is that offer only to those who bought the capes for the QS001, or can they extend to those who just bought the wired cape for the EB Batman and who is still waiting for their QS001 figure to arrive? :pray:

it only comes with those who ordered a HT 1/4 Dark Knight cape, but I'll only offer until supply last. Currently 5/20 are still available.

Heyo- mag I'm happy too that you decided to keep this guy- unfortunately I didn't take any pics when he was bare bones but it just looks to me like any other basic black plastic truetype- I'll put some pics up when I get home but what I ended up doing is removing the inner thigh, butt cheek, and belly foam padding pieces- then I put the fat suit back on, that's right, I do think he looks much better with the fat suit on- and I think with this combo it is as close to perfect that I can get it, and with those foam pieces removed, you do get much better articulation in the hips and legs. I am happy that I tried different combinations- don't be afraid to tear into this guy, I almost had buyers remorse out of the box, I love my dx12 so much and I was kind of let down with this big guy. His legs were too short, his shoulders looked goofy etc. -but now after tweaking things, taking my time and getting him just the way I like him, I am absolutely thrilled!

One thing I can say for certain is that you can tell that these guys were dressed and assembled very quickly, meaning that our friends in Hong Kong were most likley urged to move these guys out in a timely fashion, and it is very much worth the effort to break him down and at least put on the suit nice and slow, taking your time to make sure everything is lined up and in it's correct location, and that there are no stressed or tight spots in the mesh suit that would hinder your poses or risk tearing any seams in the fabric.

One thing that is driving me nuts is that I can see glossy sloppy glue marks all over and in between the sections in the chest armor and shoulder pads, and one shoulder pad is glued in place while the other shoulder has no glue at all- I think I may have received a 'Friday afternoon' figure- lol.

Cheers fellas!:hi5:

...what I ended up doing is removing the inner thigh, butt cheek, and belly foam padding pieces- then I put the fat suit back on, that's right, I do think he looks much better with the fat suit on- and I think with this combo it is as close to perfect that I can get it...

What I ended up doing was:

• Remove the pad from the belly. I will never understand why that one was there.
  • Trim the pads on the inner thighs. I understand why these are there, but they are too big IMO.
  • I left the butt and back pads in place. The DX12 looks odd in these areas and I personally think they improve the look of this figure. If you do choose to leave the butt pads in place, be careful when putting the suits back on. The pads tend to get in the way and start curling up.
  • I stuffed cotton under the fat suit at the very bottom of the abdomen/pelvis area. I will most likely get a little more precisely placed cotton in between the fat-sit and the outer suit to get the belly just right.

I've done more, and have more to do, but I'll wait to share that.

Everything is getting video recorded as I go.

One thing I can say for certain is that you can tell that these guys were dressed and assembled very quickly, meaning that our friends in Hong Kong were most likley urged to move these guys out in a timely fashion, and it is very much worth the effort to break him down and at least put on the suit nice and slow, taking your time to make sure everything is lined up and in it's correct location, and that there are no stressed or tight spots in the mesh suit that would hinder your poses or risk tearing any seams in the fabric.

This is a good point. I almost always do that with fabric clothes to get the futzing just right, and i think it's warranted here as well.

Last edited:
Tony, not sure if you saw these questions yet. Maybe it's top secret. :lol

Looks like the straps are are cut off. He then cuts off a fair amount of the glove itself. For a TDK look, he just pushes pushes the wrist peg through the straps, and they are just held in place by the glove. For a TDKR look, you just put on the gloves without the little strap rings.

Quite ingenious actually.

I like the way he has the cuts tapered so the glove fits inside of the straps part.

Do I have the right idea here?^^^

How did you change the shape of the straps? They flair out, but yours don't.

Again, the straps on yours don't flair out at all. He did you achieve this?

Tony, not sure if you saw these questions yet. Maybe it's top secret. :lol

Again, the straps on yours don't flair out at all. He did you achieve this?

I see what you mean, let me show some pictures tonight when I get the chance.

But in words, I trimmed the inner of the strap twice, so the straps became very thin, but not where it would rip. Then I just set the strap over the gloves, that all.

But the key is to cut the strap at a certain angle...... Maybe I should get more comfortable at doing videos, :lol

Allrighty guys- here's a few quick pics- bear in mind I am by no means any kind of photographer, and these are from my galaxy note 2, so be gentle...

Fat suit on, belly, inner thigh, and butt foam pads removed-

Found some 1/4 inch rubber fuel line and cut 1/2 spacers for the ankle posts-

Squeezed them over the ankle posts with tweezers-

Crappy flash pic- but just to show height difference-

No more real butt cheeks, but posing is much more forgiving-

Shoulders do sit a little bit lower- actually has traps!

I think he looks much better-

I'm happy that he is half an inch taller, thank you Tony for the idea
I am really loving this dude now- anyone want to buy a dx12? LoL-

Patrick-

Allrighty guys- here's a few quick pics- bear in mind I am by no means any kind of photographer, and these are from my galaxy note 2, so be gentle...

Shoulders do sit a little bit lower- actually has traps!

I think he looks much better-

I'm happy that he is half an inch taller, thank you Tony for the idea
I am really loving this dude now- anyone want to buy a dx12? LoL-

Patrick-

now that is one beautiful 1/4 Dark Knight figure :clap:clap

Last edited:
Here's a few quick pics I thought looked pretty cool, getting some great poses out of this guy!

Patrick-:yess:

I didn't match the poses or angles perfectly, and this is still a work in progress, but I'm starting to see the figure more as I hoped it would be. Some wont be able to see a difference, and of those that do, I suppose some will prefer the before.

IMG_6864.jpg

IMG_6937.jpg

IMG_6941.jpg

Narrower shoulders. (uneven at the moment)
More natural trap slope.
Smaller chest.
Flatter stomach.
Thighs aren't rubbing together anymore.

Xpnugget, Maglor, thanks for the mod pictures.

Just a few random comments based on both sets of pictures.
I'd love to see different angles but I think the flatter stomach looks good.
Same thing for the neck slope and shoulder pads.
Beyond that, the before looks better in my opinion.
The legs in particular look more natural out of the box and the "absence" of butt is weird.
I'm also not sold on the leg extensions, they throw off the proportions.
It's a bit of a mixed bag for me but I really appreciate the ideas you guys are documenting for us all.

Xpnugget, I love the poses! :clap

Beyond that, the before looks better in my opinion.
The legs in particular look more natural out of the box and the "absence" of butt is weird.

I did nothing to the butt on mine at all.

And I did very little to the legs. He still has the fat suit on, and he still has the inner thigh foam - I just cut it down to a smaller size. Look at the before pic. Towards the top of the inner thighs there are spots that literally point towards the center like arrows. That's all I eliminated on the legs on mine.

They look more like an actual man's legs to me now.

The stance is wider in the before pic, which is a bit distracting. Like I said, I didn't get the poses exact.

Last edited:
Back