Midsommar

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really curious to hear what you, jye, and JAWS think about this one.

So it was a better Wicker Man remake then the Wicker Man remake was.

It was OK.. I was really into the first hour and a half.. But the film was 2 and 1/2 hours long and there ended up being too much really goofy cult stuff for me. The payoff was not good enough either.. You make me wait that long the payoff should be better.

Like Hereditary this film is about something more then what you see on the screen.. Its ultimately about the end of a relationship but IMO it was just too drawn out. Film could have shaved off some run time for sure.

One of the things that a good cult movie has IMO is that somehow it makes you feel the temptation to be a part of it even though you know something is wrong.. You want to give in to said temptation.. Think of the original Wicker Man or even a fish out of water film like Hostel (talking about the drug use and sex not the killing :lol ) . You see this strange kinda creepy world but the ability to let go all of your inhibitions at the price of your soul may give even the most honorable man a moment to pause.

The cult in this film were a bunch of goofs from the beginning. Most would not want to hang around two minutes after arriving. There was one character who may have had an excuse to stick around but that is about it. You need to feel like at least for a little bit that the cult or people in it would be fun to hang with... Had the film been an hour to 45 min shorter I could forgive that as it would have been a tight movie with a feeling of dread throughout... But it ended up loosing me by then end... I was just so sick of being a part of that camp.

Having said that I was uncomfortable for the first hour or so and like the look and set up. It just got to be a bit too much and like I said it never had a true payoff... At least not one that I did not see coming / seen before / and seen done better.

Last edited:
Thanks for your review. I went ahead and read the entire plot on wikipedia and I can definitely say that it's not something I'd ever care to see play out on screen.

Thanks for your review. I went ahead and read the entire plot on wikipedia and I can definitely say that it's not something I'd ever care to see play out on screen.

Yeah its not a film I can recommend. I didn't hate it but that is not a glowing review. :lol

Great review, and pretty much exactly what I thought. It wasn’t a bad movie, but when you make a movie that long, and try to be that “artsy”, but with what are ultimately pretty heavy-handed foreshadowing and a not very good payoff, it just seems kind of pretentious.

Great review, and pretty much exactly what I thought. It wasn’t a bad movie, but when you make a movie that long, and try to be that “artsy”, but with what are ultimately pretty heavy-handed foreshadowing and a not very good payoff, it just seems kind of pretentious.

Yep...

I agree that for a "cult" film to work the cult needs to have something about it that would understandably draw people in, at least initially.

I think my favorite of the genre (and one that also deals with grief) is still The Invitation.

I just saw it, and not to be a band wagoner, but the reviews are pretty spot on.

It's not bad, but it's not great either. Some serious editing (like excising 40 minutes) would have gone a long way to ratcheting up the tension, and making the film far more effective.

I wouldn't call the film pretentious, though.

On that first day, I would have already been hiking back to whence I came. And some things should have been bigger red flags to the characters.

On a side note, some of the rituals have much more in common with German Pagan customs, than swedish customs. But what similarities there are, are thread bare at best.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

One thing for sure, is that it is probably the most realistic portrayal of the effects of tripping on shrooms or acid I’ve ever seen. Most depictions look nothing like what actually occurs, but when they first took those shrooms when they got to the initial area for those returning, and the shot looking up through the branches of the trees....man, that was SO spot on.

Also, the opening sequence with the lead up to the incident with her family, then dropping the title card, was really well done. In fact, the whole beginning of the movie was pretty impactful - he captured the feeling of being in a dead relationship perfectly.

I’m itching to see this again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back