Microsoft claims Google Chrome steals your privacy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

action-Jon

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Good thing I never used it. Come to think of it Buzz (g00gles attempt at a social network) also had some serious privacy issues.

Microsoft is going on the offensive against Google, accusing the search giant of creating a browser that does not respect user privacy. The company posted a video, embedded below, on TechNet Edge with the following description:

'Watch a demo on how Google Chrome collects every keystroke you make and how Internet Explorer 8 keeps your information private through two address bars and In Private browsing.'

Microsoft's first criticism is Chrome's combining the address bar and the search box into a single entry box; IE8 keeps those fields separate. 'By keeping these boxes separate, your privacy is better protected and the addresses of the sites you're visiting aren't automatically shared with Microsoft, or anyone else,' says IE product manager Pete LePage.

https://yro.slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&type=story&sid=10/03/31/2223228

Microsoft keeps your address bar and search bar separate, but 99.999% of all users have their default search engine set to google.com, so guess where all of that information goes anyway.

Seems to me that the real reason for this "offensive" is to try to increase traffic to bing.com, so Microsoft can be the one collecting sensitive information instead of Google.

Microsoft keeps your address bar and search bar separate, but 99.999% of all users have their default search engine set to google.com, so guess where all of that information goes anyway.

Seems to me that the real reason for this "offensive" is to try to increase traffic to bing.com, so Microsoft can be the one collecting sensitive information instead of Google.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Anyone who thinks that what they do on the internet is kept private is in idiot. Your ISP most likely logs EVERYTHING you do, if you use google to search you can guarantee they are looking your IP address and what you search. Yes your IP address can't link directly to you but searches coming from your home are usually coming from the same IP and they can track you back. Since most ISPs give you the same IP address, at least Time Warner does since it is tied to the MAC address of your connecting device(router/PC) but even so they can log all of that through the modem which you damn well should know that that has some unique identifier linking your modem to the name on the account.

Don't use the interwebs if you want to be anonymous.

Last edited:
Since most ISPs give you the same IP address, at least Time Warner does since it is tied to the MAC address of your home but even so they can log all of that through the modem which you damn well should know that that has some unique identifier linking your modem to the name on the account.

I just want to point out here that every networked device has a MAC address. You don't know how many people say "...but I have a PC." when talking MAC addresses with people. :banghead

I just want to point out here that every networked device has a MAC address. You don't know how many people say "...but I have a PC." when talking MAC addresses with people. :banghead

Yea, when I said to your home I meant to your router/computer. I should of specified. whatever it is plugged into,.

Good thing I never used it. Come to think of it Buzz (g00gles attempt at a social network) also had some serious privacy issues...

Well, to be fair to Google, what it is doing on each keystroke, is using javascript to search for URL's you might be typing, just like it does when you are doing a search at Google.com. It will present you with the most likely addresses you are looking for as you begin typing. I really doubt it is anything nefarious... Microsoft just wants you to think so, so that IE8 looks "safer". I have Fiddler just like in the video and all it is doing is going to a server trying to complete your web address as you type.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Anyone who thinks that what they do on the internet is kept private is in idiot. Your ISP most likely logs EVERYTHING you do, if you use google to search you can guarantee they are looking your IP address and what you search. Yes your IP address can't link directly to you but searches coming from your home are usually coming from the same IP and they can track you back. Since most ISPs give you the same IP address, at least Time Warner does since it is tied to the MAC address of your connecting device(router/PC) but even so they can log all of that through the modem which you damn well should know that that has some unique identifier linking your modem to the name on the account.

Don't use the interwebs if you want to be anonymous.

Puts backpack on an goes to the mountains....

*Hulk Lonely Man theme plays*

incredible-hulk-july-09-203.jpg

WAIT... did someone say MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2008_the_incredible_hulk_005.jpg

Back