Improving your web privacy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamandi

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I started a thread about NSA and your privacy. That went well. :dunno It took about five minutes for it to go off the rails and become political, which of course means it's locked.

This thread will take a different approach. It will be a place to list tools and plug-ins for improving your web privacy. We can also discuss web safety issues like identity theft, viruses, trojans, and things you should be looking out for. Questions and answers are fine.

The bottom line: No politics. There are many places you can discuss your likes and dislikes of our president. This thread is not one of them. Let's try to post something useful and be somewhat non-techie about it.

I'll start:

====================

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...ng-over-your-shoulder-on-the-web-8902269.html

7hZEPxO.jpg

Mozilla's Lightbeam tool will expose who is looking over your shoulder on the web

Just who is looking over your shoulder when you browse the Internet? Tomorrow, web users will be given a new tool to shine a light on the commercial organisations which track your every movement online.

Lightbeam, a download produced by Mozilla, the US free software community behind the popular Firefox browser, claims to be a “watershed” moment in the battle for web transparency.

Everyone who browses the Internet leaves a digital trail used by advertisers to discover what your interests are.

Users who activate Lightbeam will be able to see a real-time visualisation of every site they visit and every third-party that is active on those sites, including commercial organisations which might potentially be sharing your data.

Mozilla wants users who install the Lightbeam add-on to Firefox, to crowd-source their data, to produce the first “big picture” view of web tracking, revealing which third-parties are most active.

Lightbeam promises a “Wizard of Oz” moment for the web, “where users collectively provide a way to pull back the curtains to see its inner workings,” Mozilla claimed.

Mark Surman, Mozilla’s executive director, said: “It’s a stake in the ground in terms of letting people know the ways they are being tracked. At Mozilla, we believe everyone should be in control of their user data and privacy and we want people to make informed decisions about their Web experience.”

Mozilla already offers users the ability to disable “cookies” - small files that download from websites onto a computer, allowing advertisers to target users based on their online activity – an option taken up by 18 per cent of UK Firefox users.

Lightbeam will reveal the source of the third-party adverts, scripts and images stored on a web page which are linked to servers in other domains. An expanding graph visualises the interactions between the sites a user intentionally visits and the third parties which may not be welcome.

Mozilla has come under “tremendous pressure” from trade bodies over its mission to bring transparency to the web, said Alex Fowler, the company’s Privacy Officer.

The software company said it was responding to increased privacy concerns following the revelation that the US National Security Agency (NSA) had tapped directly into the servers of Internet firms including Facebook, to track online communication in a surveillance programme.

c2KFIV1.jpg

Firefox released a security upgrade after it emerged that the NSA was exploiting vulnerabilities in the browser to gain access to computers using Tor, a sophisticated anonymity tool.

But Mozilla insisted that Lightbeam itself will not compromise the privacy of users who agree to upload and share data. Lightbeam will not log IP addresses, the information will be aggregated anonymously and the software can be uninstalled, Mr Surman promised.

Lightbeam initially will only be available for desktop browsers. Apple has reportedly rejected from its store apps by developers which incorporate “cookie tracking” technology. “The whole mobile environment is closed,” Mr Surman said. “You have to go through Google and Apple for apps.”

Mozilla, which is developing its own tablet, Mr Surman disclosed, is hosting its UK Mozfest this weekend, a brain-storming “hack”, attended by 1,400 people.

Mr Surman said: “Our focus in on building a web based on openness and transparency. Our dream is a world where people know more about how the web works and take control of their lives online. We need a posse of people to get involved and make that happen.”

He accepted that some cookies can help consumers navigate sites by providing content relevant to the user but said it was important that tracking happens with a person’s knowledge.

Lightbeam is released ahead of “Stop Watching Us,” a “rally against mass surveillance” in response to the Snowden revelations, which will be held in Washington D.C. on Saturday.

well....there is always TOR

Although, I've never used it, but people tell me it's supposed to be good for this

well....there is always TOR

Although, I've never used it, but people tell me it's supposed to be good for this

Not getting political in here, but I remember reading that the NSA is snooping TOR.

be careful. They're watching you discuss who's watching you.
And making a new to-watch list to further watch those who are aware of the watchers who are watching them....... :monkey1.....

And making a new to-watch list to further watch those who are aware of the watchers who are watching them....... :monkey1.....

Sounds crazy, but I wouldn't doubt it :lol.

watchception

https://netsecurity.about.com/od/webbrowsersecurity/a/Tips-For-Safer-Web-Browsing.htm

Besides helping you navigate the web, your web browser also serves on the front lines in the battle for your computer's security. If not properly secured, it can be one of the main points-of-entry for malware entering your system and can be hijacked by malicious code.

Your browser is your vehicle to Internet destinations both good and bad. As with any vehicle, you want to maintain it and take care of it, so that it keeps you safe.

Let's look at some tips for improving your web browsing security.

1. Consider Using a Personal VPN

One of the best things you can do to improve your overall security posture for web browsing is to consider using a personal Virtual Private Network service. VPNs, once considered a luxury security feature that only big businesses could afford, are now available to the general public for about the price of a cup of coffee (as little as $5 a month).

VPNs can encrypt all of your network traffic, keeping it safe from prying eyes and hackers. VPNs can also anonymize your browsing for privacy purposes. To learn more about the security features of VPNs, check out our article on Why You Need a Personal VPN for full details.

2. Don't Save Your Passwords in Your Browser

While saving passwords might be a convenient time saver, there is always a chance that a new browser-based vulnerability will allow hackers access to your stored passwords. If you didn't store them in the first place then you won't have to worry about them being stolen.

You will definitely want to avoid storing passwords on a computer that is shared with multiple people, such as a family PC, or a computer in a lab or at a library.

3. Update Your Browser and Apply Security Patches

There seems to be a constant cat-and-mouse game that goes on between hackers and OS / application developers. Hackers find a new vulnerability, and vendors create a patch for it. The circle of life continues.

As an end-user, you need to keep your operating system and applications patched by applying all application and OS security patches. Patching your browser is especially important since it is often both a target and a vehicle for security exploits entering your system.

Enable your operating systems automatic security updates feature so that your system will go out, check for, and install all relevant security updates. You should perform a manual check every once in awhile as well to make sure that the automatic update feature is working properly.

4. Turn on Your Pop-up Blocker

Most modern web browsers feature pop-up blocking capabilities. Consider enabling the pop-up blocker as many malware developers use pop-ups to trick users into installing malware or visiting phishing sites.

5. Turn on Phishing / Cross-site Scripting Warnings and Consider Using NoScript

Many browsers feature the ability to warn you if they believe you are being redirected to a phishing site or if a cross-site scripting attack appears to be taking place. You should enable these features if offered by your browser. If you want to block script-based attacks, check out NoScript, a powerful (and free) script filtering / blocking tool.

6. Consider Using "Private Browsing" Mode

The private browsing feature isn't just for those who want to hide their surfing tracks from their significant other. Private browsing may also help prevent companies from tracking you from site to site. Learn more about Private Browsing here.

7. Use Your Anti-malware's Real-time Scanning Option

If your anti-malware software offers real-time scanning of downloads or has a browser integration feature, consider enabling these security features as it is always better to catch malware before it has a chance to infect your system rather than dealing with it after it has already done its damage and made itself at home.

8. Consider Using an Alternative DNS Provider with Anti-malware Filtering Features

Your router and/or computer is probably pointing to an ISP-provided DNS server. Your browser uses this DNS server to "resolve" or "look up" websites that you visit. You don't have to use the DNS servers provided by your ISP, you can choose an alternative DNS provider which might improve both your browsing speed as well as your security by filtering out known malware and phishing sites.

I worry more about hackers and identity theft than I do the government spying on me. I try to do what I can to prevent theft.

I worry more about hackers and identity theft than I do the government spying on me. I try to do what I can to prevent theft.

this is me as well.
I don't really care if someone monitors everything I look at as much as I worry about my financial information being stolen.

I may visit some filthy sites online, but as long as they dont pass the info on to my immediate family then its no big deal to me... :monkey1....

Anyone who is watching me is wasting their time.

And if they are watching me, that is one person fewer that they can be watching of those who do care.

So let them watch me.

Yeh, identity theft and account hacking are the greater of my concerns when it comes to web privacy also.

lets just hope we're not applying for some govt work or contract or their competitor. any info that give a party advantage can certainly be exploited.
I got a hint of it before and was thinking its just a coincidence when I was working as a contractor for the military.

https://netsecurity.about.com/od/webbrowsersecurity/a/Tips-For-Safer-Web-Browsing.htm

Besides helping you navigate the web, your web browser also serves on the front lines in the battle for your computer's security. If not properly secured, it can be one of the main points-of-entry for malware entering your system and can be hijacked by malicious code.

Your browser is your vehicle to Internet destinations both good and bad. As with any vehicle, you want to maintain it and take care of it, so that it keeps you safe.

Let's look at some tips for improving your web browsing security.

1. Consider Using a Personal VPN

One of the best things you can do to improve your overall security posture for web browsing is to consider using a personal Virtual Private Network service. VPNs, once considered a luxury security feature that only big businesses could afford, are now available to the general public for about the price of a cup of coffee (as little as $5 a month).

VPNs can encrypt all of your network traffic, keeping it safe from prying eyes and hackers. VPNs can also anonymize your browsing for privacy purposes. To learn more about the security features of VPNs, check out our article on Why You Need a Personal VPN for full details.

2. Don't Save Your Passwords in Your Browser

While saving passwords might be a convenient time saver, there is always a chance that a new browser-based vulnerability will allow hackers access to your stored passwords. If you didn't store them in the first place then you won't have to worry about them being stolen.

You will definitely want to avoid storing passwords on a computer that is shared with multiple people, such as a family PC, or a computer in a lab or at a library.

3. Update Your Browser and Apply Security Patches

There seems to be a constant cat-and-mouse game that goes on between hackers and OS / application developers. Hackers find a new vulnerability, and vendors create a patch for it. The circle of life continues.

As an end-user, you need to keep your operating system and applications patched by applying all application and OS security patches. Patching your browser is especially important since it is often both a target and a vehicle for security exploits entering your system.

Enable your operating systems automatic security updates feature so that your system will go out, check for, and install all relevant security updates. You should perform a manual check every once in awhile as well to make sure that the automatic update feature is working properly.

4. Turn on Your Pop-up Blocker

Most modern web browsers feature pop-up blocking capabilities. Consider enabling the pop-up blocker as many malware developers use pop-ups to trick users into installing malware or visiting phishing sites.

5. Turn on Phishing / Cross-site Scripting Warnings and Consider Using NoScript

Many browsers feature the ability to warn you if they believe you are being redirected to a phishing site or if a cross-site scripting attack appears to be taking place. You should enable these features if offered by your browser. If you want to block script-based attacks, check out NoScript, a powerful (and free) script filtering / blocking tool.

6. Consider Using "Private Browsing" Mode

The private browsing feature isn't just for those who want to hide their surfing tracks from their significant other. Private browsing may also help prevent companies from tracking you from site to site. Learn more about Private Browsing here.

7. Use Your Anti-malware's Real-time Scanning Option

If your anti-malware software offers real-time scanning of downloads or has a browser integration feature, consider enabling these security features as it is always better to catch malware before it has a chance to infect your system rather than dealing with it after it has already done its damage and made itself at home.

8. Consider Using an Alternative DNS Provider with Anti-malware Filtering Features

Your router and/or computer is probably pointing to an ISP-provided DNS server. Your browser uses this DNS server to "resolve" or "look up" websites that you visit. You don't have to use the DNS servers provided by your ISP, you can choose an alternative DNS provider which might improve both your browsing speed as well as your security by filtering out known malware and phishing sites.

I would love to read how a personal VPN will protect you.:lol Thats as good as the netzero commercial saying that using hotspots are unsafe even for secure sites.

Want Web privacy? There is only one way.

Don't worry they have admitted that they are only following to the 5th degree of separation. Since there are only 6 degrees from everyone on the planet at least some bodies safe

It's cool - I only use my first name in my AOL profile, not my last.

And under "Computers Used" I put - "Etch A Sketch". LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Back