Media Metal Gear Solid Discussion Thread (NO FIGURES /CUSTOMS JUST GAMES) SPOILERS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago, I beat the bike scene once on BBE difficulty and it was hell. Then I completed it again on two more playthroughs in 2012 just for "fun" :lol :slap. One thing that I learned, is that "practice doesn't make perfect" at that scene. You literally have to go in with your A-game, and hope for just a little bit of fortune on your side.

Yeah I would say the bike chase was 80% luck.

Still, I see you're still ways off from the Plat. Suit up soldier.

BBE was a ***** :lol

So glad I got that Platinum behind me, but stupid Konami's servers are gone now and I don't have the download camos.

I think Konami's servers are already offline. I can't get the downloads to work and I've tried for months now. I'm gonna miss those goodies.

Btw Pliss, how do I go about getting an S-Rank on all the sections in Revengeance? I swore that's nearly impossible. I'm using the White Armor with the Fox Blade and been eating up health packs like crazy.

Especially "Metal Camo"

Hr9fHVw.jpg

From some dumbass fanboy (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgiOd3KennlEnF7W8C2SojQ/discussion) flipping out because I'm not a fan of MGS1's controls on my MGS1 LP
"Dude, yer fgt. This game had awesome controls--just because you were used to another metal gear game doesn't mean this one's sucks. I remember when this game came out as a child--it literally blew everyone away back then. You're probably some kid that just turned 17, and can't even appreciate the progression of gaming because you're spoiled into graphics and modern control schemes. This game made video game history. You are not worthy of posting a commentary of this video game. Your opinions are ****, and you sound naive as **** about one of the greatest titles to ever exist"
:cuckoo: what? I didn't even say anything about the games' graphics. God I hate this fanbase sometimes :slap

You know, I kind of agree with him about the controls - they were absolutely perfect for MGS 1 :lol. It was a great compliment to the game's top-down perspective, which kept things challenging by ensuring that most enemies were out of your view. Did you find the auto-aim with the square button problematic? It does have a bit of a learning curve.

I wouldn't get too worked up over somebody's opinion on the internet, FSLAR. Everybody's a tough guy, and throwing insults makes him not much of a prize, either.

MGS's difficulty curve is upside down, the game is tough as hell during earlier sections and gets easier the more you progress. The number of guards is significantly reduced and gone are the searchlights, multiple routes and wet footprints replaced with steadier supplies and a longer lifebar. :lol

I mean yeah, the controls are ok but I don't like how they entirely work like at times, they felt finicky, mostly with stuff like the square options (choking and throwing enemies, the latter of which I thought wasn't a good option at all >__>) and just moving around. I had no problems with RE controls but MGS1's, I found more problematic. I didn't even say the controls suck, but that they're not that great or flawless. :lol Shooting I actually had no problem with bar the sniper rifle at first (which I heard everyone has a problem with in general)

I still don't get the guy's flip out though, he went around spamming the rest of my videos and even tried insisting that I hated the games' visuals...which I either didn't bring up or mentioned that they were pretty good, not sure. I mean if I did bring that up, I totally would have gotten a lot of hate for that.

the link brought me to jackson boch who has no videos up.
I banned/blocked (I don't get why those are two separate things) him from my channel so it removed his comments, so I linked his channel instead. I did get some flak from people saying the controls weren't as bad as I was saying but they said they got a bit of what I meant.
I wouldn't get too worked up over somebody's opinion on the internet, FSLAR. Everybody's a tough guy, and throwing insults makes him not much of a prize, either.

MGS's difficulty curve is upside down, the game is tough as hell during earlier sections and gets easier the more you progress. The number of guards is significantly reduced and gone are the searchlights, multiple routes and wet footprints replaced with steadier supplies and a longer lifebar. :lol
:dunno pretty much. It's kinda surprising since I rarely get hate for my MGS1 LP - all of the hate gets aimed at my co-commentator (who is sort of in denial I think about that) actually, since people state his mic either sucks, he added nothing or it just wasn't worth having him at all.

I actually never really noticed that about the original, now that you bring it up. I mean of course supplies and increased lifebar but the number of guards, searchlights etc being reduced, huh. You're right.

Also I brought up my MGS LP for another reason! Since I was thinking of having guests, any of you think you might be interested? I actually somewhat had an idea for a list of people for each game, it'd be only one of you (to prevent things from getting crowded) each game.

I mean yeah, the controls are ok but I don't like how they entirely work like at times, they felt finicky, mostly with stuff like the square options (choking and throwing enemies, the latter of which I thought wasn't a good option at all >__>) and just moving around. I had no problems with RE controls but MGS1's, I found more problematic. I didn't even say the controls suck, but that they're not that great or flawless. :lol Shooting I actually had no problem with bar the sniper rifle at first (which I heard everyone has a problem with in general)

I still don't get the guy's flip out though, he went around spamming the rest of my videos and even tried insisting that I hated the games' visuals...which I either didn't bring up or mentioned that they were pretty good, not sure. I mean if I did bring that up, I totally would have gotten a lot of hate for that.

Ugh, seems like you've got a stalker on your hands :slap. I someone wonder if it's anyone from these parts...

But yeah, it can take a while to get used to MGS 1, I remember dying countless times on my first playthrough. If you really need some practice, try out the VR Missions (but, be warned, it's not for the faint of heart :lol).

By the way, I'm not sure if I'll ever have time for a Let's Play video. But, I was thinking that we can do a round-table discussion about MGS one of these days (as a group). I'm sure we can piss a good number of people off :lol.

Doubt it, it'd be more obvious if it was someone from on here. But you never know

I played MGS 1 twice before doing my LP, but still...something about the movement and square, rubs me the wrong way compared to RE (I cite RE2 in particular, because I played 1 on DS and 3 on PC). The actual game does hold up though beyond that, I give it and other PS1 games massive credit for that.

Also Solidus, with pissing off people (that was kind of an idea I kind of had actually, around the time I met you all) that is actually something I had in mind for you joining in :rotfl I think you can guess what game I picked out for you.

MGS Whore, Piss Twerker, and Ground Beef are all good choices for negative commentary :lol.

Ground Beef would be very hard to pick out a guest for, out of you all. The game's too short, so it'd be hard to talk with a lot, and it might be unfair to whoever I go with. Piss Twerker oh gosh, that would be so fun :lol Who-I MEAN Four, I had an idea that came up before I met all of you, but maybe could still do.

Regardless...Solidus, do take a guess at what game I picked for you, and why in particular :rotfl

Last edited:
I'll be down with it. I can go into great lengths on why MGSV didn't work. Great, great lengths.

Who knows? I promised to do MGS 3 with a real life friend however, after I did MGS 1.

I thought MGS1 controls were very fluid for the time, even now they are fine.

The only thing I would get annoyed with was throwing an enemy instead of choking them out, but that was mainly just due to movement and not being in the correct position when pressing square.

It also took me a while to get to grips with running + shooting but I'd consider those extra or advanced controls.

One thing is, after going back to 1 from playing any other title you forgot how much you use the forward roll. For the first hour or so i find myself just crouching expecting the do a roll.

It's a much different experience than any that came after because of the camera angle and lack of first person, its still better than all the other games, even after 15 years and the upgrade to graphics and controls.

Yeah that's one issue, throwing an enemy instead of choking. I never found an instance where it was that useful either. I also found that in some other LPs I saw on YouTube, the person sort of glitched and got a chokehold on a guard (usually the one in the bathroom near Psycho Mantis) but actually got an alert somehow. I've seen this happen elsewhere too, it's weird. The guard completely has their back turned.

Yeah that's one issue, throwing an enemy instead of choking. I never found an instance where it was that useful either. I also found that in some other LPs I saw on YouTube, the person sort of glitched and got a chokehold on a guard (usually the one in the bathroom near Psycho Mantis) but actually got an alert somehow. I've seen this happen elsewhere too, it's weird. The guard completely has their back turned.

There's a trick to that. In order to throw a guard you'll have to use the movement stick along with the attack button. To strangle a guard, you MUST take your thumb off the stick or it might glitch out at the slightest tilt, and to execute a choke hold with 100% success rate, you'll need to perform the move with about an imaginary foot away from the guard. Don't get too close.

Yup, you absolutely cannot move the left thumb stick when attempting to choke-hold a guard (it's the same for MGS 2 as well). The controls do take some getting used to.

Still a problem that happens time to time, though less so in MGS2 for me. Not sure why exactly.

Back