Media Metal Gear Solid Discussion Thread (NO FIGURES /CUSTOMS JUST GAMES) SPOILERS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll need some caffeine before tackling those VR Missions in MGS 2 :lol. It's kind of sad I haven't had so much time for gaming recently.

That's super awesome Frank! It will be hell, I kid you not but you're way too deep in to quit now.

Oh, and I find the best way to neutrailze guards is to do a 1-second-groin-puch-in-first-person. It takes some practice, but it's invalueble in th eMGS1 Snake missions.

As for Extreme mode, I'm aware of some strategies that I can share once you're going trough that, I even know how to survive the Arsenal Tengus with just a scratch. :lol I doubt it the achivements/plat will be much trouble for you Frank since the worst is over.

I've gotten 100% on the VR twice- once on the PS2, 2nd on the PS3 and this will be my third time on a new account. I'm pretty rusty and my gaming skils are not as good as when I was younger.

I'll be sure to hit you up man if i get stuck!

I'm doing it on the xbox right now but i'm picking the hd collections up for my PS3 i just got so i'll have to do them all again

Never even heard of the 1 sec first person crotch punch, might have to youtube that later

Which are the hardest MGS1 Snake missions? I've done pretty much all of the sneaking missions

@Solidus i did a couple of long hauls over the past couple of months, all weekend with 5 hours sleep fri-sat night

I'll be sure to hit you up man if i get stuck!

I'm doing it on the xbox right now but i'm picking the hd collections up for my PS3 i just got so i'll have to do them all again

Never even heard of the 1 sec first person crotch punch, might have to youtube that later

Which are the hardest MGS1 Snake missions? I've done pretty much all of the sneaking missions

@Solidus i did a couple of long hauls over the past couple of months, all weekend with 5 hours sleep fri-sat night

Word has it that the PS3 version is significantly harder due to the pressure sensitive controls than the all-digital controls of the 360. Thing is, the PS2 Dualshock 2 controller was more refined when it comes to sensitivity compared to the Dualshock 3. You'll have a harder time on the PS3, I can attest to that.

The hardest MGS1 missions were definitely the hold ups and Grenade Level 5. I can't think much of anything else specifically, but I'm sure you'll get a shock seeing the crazy lightning fast enemy behavior in the Sneaking Missions. :lol

As for the 1-second-groin-puch-in-first-person, I made that term up, as it's definitely the quickest and most effective way of dispatching an enemy. If you're fast enough, you can even knock a guy out BEFORE the exclamation mark appears. :lol

All you need to do it run up at a guard, go into first person and hold the stick down and punch around the groin area. You can even do it from behind and punch them in the butt. It's super effective... :lol

If you're having trouble doing that, give the guard a smack on the face first, then look down at his groin and you'll.. wait, this is sounding dirtier than I intended!

Last edited:
I'll need some caffeine before tackling those VR Missions in MGS 2 :lol. It's kind of sad I haven't had so much time for gaming recently.

Whenever I get around to completing the dog tag collection, I'll move onto those VR missions.

Yeah i had heard the PS3 version is harder, but what exactly is different between the two?

The pressure between walking - sneaking?

I've already done the sneaking missions, and the behavior was sped up on some levels, just not all. It's definitely tougher because you've already spent so much time doing the rest so you sorta just want it to be over :lol

I'll be giving that **** punch some practice on the Raiden VR missions first, where it's real ez :lol

Word has it that the PS3 version is significantly harder due to the pressure sensitive controls than the all-digital controls of the 360. Thing is, the PS2 Dualshock 2 controller was more refined when it comes to sensitivity compared to the Dualshock 3. You'll have a harder time on the PS3, I can attest to that.

The hardest MGS1 missions were definitely the hold ups and Grenade Level 5. I can't think much of anything else specifically, but I'm sure you'll get a shock seeing the crazy lightning fast enemy behavior in the Sneaking Missions. :lol

As for the 1-second-groin-puch-in-first-person, I made that term up, as it's definitely the quickest and most effective way of dispatching an enemy. If you're fast enough, you can even knock a guy out BEFORE the exclamation mark appears. :lol

All you need to do it run up at a guard, go into first person and hold the stick down and punch around the groin area. You can even do it from behind and punch them in the butt. It's super effective... :lol

If you're having trouble doing that, give the guard a smack on the face first, then look down at his groin and you'll.. wait, this is sounding dirtier than I intended!

Yeah i had heard the PS3 version is harder, but what exactly is different between the two?

The pressure between walking - sneaking?

I've already done the sneaking missions, and the behavior was sped up on some levels, just not all. It's definitely tougher because you've already spent so much time doing the rest so you sorta just want it to be over :lol

I'll be giving that **** punch some practice on the Raiden VR missions first, where it's real ez :lol

No, it's for releasing the trigger on the weapons. You need to gently take your thumb off the square button to lower a weapon on the PS2/PS3 versions, and that's a problem on the PS3 since the DS3 is way too sensitive. It becomes problematic since in some hold up missions you'll be equipped with a loaded waepon. The quick change option isn't effective in some of the MGS1 Snake hold up missions unfortunately.

On the 360 and Vita, you'll just need to press the down button on the D-pad, much easier.

This isn't by far anything new, but Kojima discusses his inspirations for MGS in this short video from IGN. I love Guns of Navarone, and it's one of my favorite films, too! :rock. It's kind of disappointing that he didn't mention The Rock, which was his direct inspiration for MGS 1.

Mentioning "The Great Escape", it would have been cool if Big Boss was captured and had to make an escape from a prison with other POWs while keeping everyone alive.

https://www.ign.com/videos/2014/04/05/hideo-kojima-how-hollywood-inspired-metal-gear?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ign%2Fvideos+%28IGN+All+Videos%29

Cool video, I'll watch it, I'm very oblivious to all the inspirations and references that make the MGS franchise compared to most of you, for instance, I had no clue that The Rock was an inspiration, but I remember when I watched it, it would strongly remind me of MGS, and even the soundtrack by Zimmer has a strong MGS vibe, or viceversa :lol

Guns of Navarone looks pretty good too.

This isn't by far anything new, but Kojima discusses his inspirations for MGS in this short video from IGN. I love Guns of Navarone, and it's one of my favorite films, too! :rock. It's kind of disappointing that he didn't mention The Rock, which was his direct inspiration for MGS 1.

Mentioning "The Great Escape", it would have been cool if Big Boss was captured and had to make an escape from a prison with other POWs while keeping everyone alive.

https://www.ign.com/videos/2014/04/05/hideo-kojima-how-hollywood-inspired-metal-gear?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ign%2Fvideos+%28IGN+All+Videos%29

I remember reading exclusive articles written by Kojima himself on the top 10 movies that inspired MGS in a UK magazine over 10 years ago. They published the articles on a monthly basis and Kojima went into great detail on how all of those movies made MGS what it is. It was republished in 2008, great read.

Edit: Forgot I still have the magazine on top of my display! :lol

13795297064_c07fe83ab5.jpg

Last edited:
Cool video, I'll watch it, I'm very oblivious to all the inspirations and references that make the MGS franchise compared to most of you, for instance, I had no clue that The Rock was an inspiration, but I remember when I watched it, it would strongly remind me of MGS, and even the soundtrack by Zimmer has a strong MGS vibe, or viceversa :lol

Guns of Navarone looks pretty good too.

It's weird how Guns of Navarone is absolutely one of my favorite WWII movies, and I actually never picked up the reference to MGS V until I saw the side-by-side comparisons to the cliff scenes from that video. If I can recall correctly, the movie also inspired the Noventa Cannons from Gundam Wing :lol.

I remember reading that the prison in Shadow Moses was taken from scenes from The Rock, that was based in a setting for the Alcatraz Maximum Security Prison. There also several other things (copied-and-pasted from IMBD):

The story and characters of MGS have several similarities to that of the Rock. For example, in The Rock, an elite US Marines Force Recon unit takes over an entire island and threatens to launch chemical weapons if their demands aren't met. In this game, an elite US Army Special Forces unit takes over an entire island and threatens to launch nuclear weapons if their demands aren't met. Also, both have the hero infiltrating the island by going underwater outside the complex and then surfacing inside.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0180825/movieconnections

Also, I doubt that Kojima would ever come out and admit it, but it's blatantly obvious that plot for MGS 1 was heavily inspired by "Twins" - with the genetically inferior and superior siblings. It goes without saying that Solid Snake is Danny DeVito - aka. Vincent Benedict :rotfl

TWINS_320.jpg

I remember reading exclusive articles written by Kojima himself on the top 10 movies that inspired MGS in a UK magazine over 10 years ago. They published the articles on a monthly basis and Kojima went into great detail on how all of those movies made MGS what it is. It was republished in 2008, great read.

Edit: Forgot I still have the magazine on top of my display! :lol

13795297064_c07fe83ab5.jpg

Nice stuff! I also remember that Game Informer released a 20th Anniversary MGS magazine back in 2008. Did you ever get it, Ryan?

Nice stuff! I also remember that Game Informer released a 20th Anniversary MGS magazine back in 2008. Did you ever get it, Ryan?

Thanks. I think I do have it! Gotta go trough my MGS magazine collection all over again to check though. The UK always gets the best magazine MGS cover art though. Do you have any MGS-themed magazines, Solidus?

I just read news that the MGS movie is finally in development. Here's the link my post in the movie section:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?115638-Metal-Gear-Movie-Announced&p=6709310#post6709310

Thanks. I think I do have it! Gotta go trough my MGS magazine collection all over again to check though. The UK always gets the best magazine MGS cover art though. Do you have any MGS-themed magazines, Solidus?

I don't think I have any aside from a few of the U.S. releases during 2008. I really wasn't big into collecting magazines at the time, and I think I missed out a lot.

Last edited:
I was just replaying MGS1 on my old psONE and hot damn that game holds up soooo well.

And it reminded me of a question I've had since I was a kid and completely forgot..... How did Snake smuggled his smokes? Given that they were in his belly, did he ate them orrrr....... ?¿ :lol

I was just replaying MGS1 on my old psONE and hot damn that game holds up soooo well.

And it reminded me of a question I've had since I was a kid and completely forgot..... How did Snake smuggled his smokes? Given that they were in his belly, did he ate them orrrr....... ?¿ :lol

lol think he put them in a place where no one could look.

Back