Metal Gear Solid collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to diminish the enthusiasm in this thread, but does anyone know if the missile fins at the top of the back pack are supposed to flip open, or detach completely from REX?

It's incorrect on the 3A REX. During the MGS4 RAY battle they flip open and are not ejected.

solidus, in the review near the bottom where it shows the top pics of rex theres little figernail pick spots on the outer edge of the figure. the koto ones flip from the middle out. the backpack picture(P.4) shows them completely removed.

It's incorrect on the 3A REX. During the MGS4 RAY battle they flip open and are not ejected.

Yeah, I think they're supposed to be flipped open - not removable like in the ThreeA model. Ah well... :(

Got mine yesterday. I'm still deciding whether or not is was worth the money. I'm having trouble moving the hips joints and I'm afraid of breaking it.

Got mine yesterday. I'm still deciding whether or not is was worth the money. I'm having trouble moving the hips joints and I'm afraid of breaking it.

Nice, you're the first person on this thread! You mentioned problems with the hips - so, how does the figure feel in hand? Does it have good build quality, or does it feel light and flimsy? Also, is it more difficult to pose the figure in certain ways (and will it hold its pose for prolonged periods)? Lastly, what's the exact color of the camouflage? Is it a greenish tint like what we've seen in many photos, or is it a shade of gray?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions :D

I'll receive mine in a few weeks. I'm already upset by all of the lack, or neglect of including some key features into the design - especially ThreeA's decision to sacrifice the articulation of the head for electronics. The list of things that were "left out" just keeps growing and growing. Hopefully, I'll like the figure enough to keep it, when I receive it in hand.

Last edited:
Nice, you're the first person on this thread! You mentioned problems with the hips - so, how does the figure feel in hand? Does it have good build quality, or does it feel light and flimsy? Also, is it more difficult to pose the figure in certain ways (and will it hold its pose for prolonged periods)?

I'll receive mine in a few weeks. I'm already upset by all of the lack, or neglect of including some key features into the design - especially ThreeA's decision to sacrifice the articulation of the head for electronics. The list of things that were "left out" just keeps growing and growing. Hopefully, I'll like the figure enough to keep it, when I receive it in hand.

I think it will be worth it, but the inaccuracies just seem like silly **** that could of been rectified easily.

1. Head articulation. In the video review it almost looked like the head was flimsy up and down.

2. Lights that are not accurate and the beak like isn't a light and is only light piped with the inner cockpit light.

3. Missile backpack doors come off instead of a door joint.

4. Claw toes cannot be removed.

I think it will be worth it, but the inaccuracies just seem like silly **** that could of been rectified easily.

1. Head articulation. In the video review it almost looked like the head was flimsy up and down.

2. Lights that are not accurate and the beak like isn't a light and is only light piped with the inner cockpit light.

3. Missile backpack doors come off instead of a door joint.

4. Claw toes cannot be removed.

Yeah man, I don't get it either. I mean, ThreeA made this incredible action figure (the likes of which we have never seen), but then they just go ahead and forget to include some things. Even Koto REX looks more accurate in some areas (crouching stance, pivoting back-pack missile hatches, moveable head) - and that shouldn't even be the case.

Just like you said, many of those things could have been easily rectified. I think in the future, ThreeA needs to have more opened discussions with fans when they're tackling licensed figures - just to ensure that they don't leave anything out. That's just silly.

Yeah man, I don't get it either. I mean, ThreeA made this incredible action figure (the likes of which we have never seen), but then they just go ahead and forget to include some things. Even Koto REX looks more accurate in some areas (crouching stance, pivoting back-pack missile hatches, moveable head) - and that shouldn't even be the case.

Just like you said, many of those things could have been easily rectified. I think in the future, ThreeA needs to have more opened discussions with fans when they're tackling licensed figures - just to ensure that they don't leave anything out. That's just silly.

I had given a question to Gimbat on the 3A board since they polled questions to give to the engineer on REX. I had asked if the REX beak light, that is in the front of it's head lights up (this light and the lights directly to the left of the front of it's mouth are the only canon lights on REX from MGS4) and they said yes it does light up... but all these photos prove that to be a lie since it's only a clear piece of plastic where this light is supposed to be and only shows a little bit of light when the inner cockpit light is turned on...

With all the electronics in this thing... how could they leave out the only canon light on the mech? :dunno

I had given a question to Gimbat on the 3A board since they polled questions to give to the engineer on REX. I had asked if the REX beak light, that is in the front of it's head lights up (this light and the lights directly to the left of the front of it's mouth are the only canon lights on REX from MGS4) and they said yes it does light up... but all these photos prove that to be a lie since it's only a clear piece of plastic where this light is supposed to be and only shows a little bit of light when the inner cockpit light is turned on...

With all the electronics in this thing... how could they leave out the only canon light on the mech? :dunno

I know that "light piping" is regularly used on Transformers figures and toys that you can find in department stores. The idea is to place an action figure under a light source, to light up the transparent pieces of plastic (mostly around the eyes) - hence, the term "light piping". But, ThreeA shouldn't have resorted to using such a cheap feature like that, on a premium figure like this one. I mean, if they were willing to sacrifice something as significant as the articulation on REX's head, then they should have made sure that the electronics were installed correctly, and to not cut any corners :slap

Last edited:
I know that "light piping" is regularly used on Transformers figures and toys that you can find in department stores. The idea is that to place an action figure under a light source, to light up the transparent pieces of plastic (mostly around the eyes) - hence, the term "light piping". But, ThreeA shouldn't have resorted to using such a cheap feature like that, on a premium figure like this one. I mean, if they were willing to sacrifice something as significant as the articulation on REX's head, then they should have made sure that the electronics were installed correctly, and to not cut any corners :slap

And it came directly from a engineer on the figure that it indeed was a light but not one photo proves that. It's clear plastic, with no bulb in it. I also think the whole cockpit ceiling light is tacky and too much like a nightclub light.

I would of preferred having the actual consoles near the driving sticks light up.

I think the pros outweigh the cons but the cons are just dumb **** that for whatever reason was never looked at as vital in the end to accuracy.

I reallly don't care about any of those issues rather than a huge one being the head articulation! without it, it just cut 80% of the poses i would have done. Its really pretty basic and im not convinced by that weak electronics excuse either....

obviously im still pretty butt hurt

And it came directly from a engineer on the figure that it indeed was a light but not one photo proves that. It's clear plastic, with no bulb in it. I also think the whole cockpit ceiling light is tacky and too much like a nightclub light.

I would of preferred having the actual consoles near the driving sticks light up.

I think the pros outweigh the cons but the cons are just dumb **** that for whatever reason was never looked at as vital in the end to accuracy.

Agreed. A light up console would have been awesome, much more than a lit-up cockpit.

I reallly don't care about any of those issues rather than a huge one being the head articulation! without it, it just cut 80% of the poses i would have done. Its really pretty basic and im not convinced by that weak electronics excuse either....

obviously im still pretty butt hurt

I see what you're saying, but it's just lame how ThreeA has been cutting corners. The lack of head-articulation is just inexcusable, but I just can't help but find some other things annoying as well. I mean, this was probably the longest wait for a figure release (ever), and one would think that ThreeA would have double-checked to make sure that they made it as accurate to the source material as possible.

Last edited:
Agreed. A light up console would have been awesome, much more than a lit-up cockpit.

I see what you're saying, but it's just lame how ThreeA has been cutting corners. The lack of head-articulation is just inexcusable, but I just can't help but find some other things annoying as well. I mean, this was probably the longest wait for a figure release (ever), and one would think that ThreeA would have double-checked to make sure that they made it as accurate to the source material as possible.

The excuse is that "Kojima and Shinkawa approved it."

Or you could go with "We can't do this and this so is it okay Koji and Yoji?"

Im not 100% with Yojis and Hideos approvale anymore.

They approved Ninja wrong colouring, Meyrls wrong clothing and Snake weird face in the Play Arts line and that god awful MGS4 medicom facesculpt and finally HTs The Boss' man face.

Im not 100% with Yojis and Hideos approvale anymore.

They approved Ninja wrong colouring, Meyrls wrong clothing and Snake weird face in the Play Arts line and that god awful MGS4 medicom facesculpt and finally HTs The Boss' man face.

Well that was 3A's response to criticism. Just because it might be okay with Koji and Yoji but it doesn't mean **** if it isn't okay with the fans.

Just about half or more MGS collectibles are never accurate. The Koto REX looks more accurate for it's size and articulation.

Nice, you're the first person on this thread! You mentioned problems with the hips - so, how does the figure feel in hand? Does it have good build quality, or does it feel light and flimsy? Also, is it more difficult to pose the figure in certain ways (and will it hold its pose for prolonged periods)? Lastly, what's the exact color of the camouflage? Is it a greenish tint like what we've seen in many photos, or is it a shade of gray?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions :D

No problem, ask away

Like I said my opinions on it are split. It does hold its pose very well. The hip joints are a pretty cool design that gives them lots of articulation. It is a bit difficult to get the legs to move though and awkward to hold metal gear as you pose him. My hip joints came rotated incorrectly which is why I had so much trouble at first. It took a good 10 minutes for me to awkwardly hold Rex upside down and reposition his joints properly but it got there. I'll see if I can post some pictures of how I have it posed.

There are some downsides though. It does feel like the materials are cheap. Its plastic and reminds me of Star Wars ships I'd play with as a kid. The paint is pretty abysmal. Its light green and has some pretty weak weathering. The lights don't add much. I'm still deciding if its a keeper.

Back