Medicom RAH Alien 2008 (Sideshow)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more I see pics of this guy the more I want one. I wish it would have been out before I did mine because in two area's I can see they got it more accurate. I know it's a lot of money but it just looks like a really nice piece and I'll know I'll kick myself if I don't get it.
what parts do you see as more accurate? honestly, i think it looks less accurate than yours.
i watched the movie again last night while eyeballing your figure and i think it's dead on. then again, there wasn't much to see.

I think the dome probably came out looking more closely to the Giger piece than Kyle's, but otherwise I'd agree that I find Kyle's more accurate overall.
There's something about the proportions of the Medicom that I find odd.
But it's a lovely piece. I hope to have mine in hand this week!

Hey Kyle, should we start collecting research pics for the dragon and the queen? :D

Part of the genius of the Alien in the first film is that it looked different depending on the angle and how it was shot/lit. Plus of course as you experts will all know, there were different props.

For my money, the Medicom one looks like the image I have of the Alien in my head. Whether that makes it more accurate I couldn't say, but it just looks "right" to me.

It's here! It's HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE!
:banana:banana

O.K., first quick impressions:

Remember the feeling of awe you had when you first unpacked Medicom's Vader? That feeling of really nice materials, of fine craftsmanship? It's the same feeling all over.
There's a "feeling" to Medicom's figures that is really nice and this one oozes it.

The material of the suit feels very nice and soft, but not at all rubbery. The detail is a bit soft as was expected from pics, and the paint apps are exceedingly basic, especially around the head, which is a shame, because so much attention is drawn to it anyway.

Articulation seems fine, but I am very hesitant to try any extreme poses due to the well-documented frail nature of Medicom figures. If this one breaks, there's no way of fixing it...

Anyway, I'm very happy and I will post a detailed review with lots of comparison shots this weekend.

If you're an alien fan and have the change to spare, get this figure, it really is a fantastic toy.

Got the figure today. Isn't there suppose to be some kind of leaflet in the box, explaining how the inner jaw can be operated? Anyway, can somebody that has found out how please tell me? Don't want to do anything that could damage the figure. Thanks.
The figure is actually pretty nice, but yes, it is small. Sideshow has send me a pretty beat up box, smeared with some kind of sticker residue. And there's a tiny tear in the rubber, on his left foot, between the toes. The rubber suit is ultra thin on the left foot, so the tear is no surprize. Going to try for a replacement. It's a $170 toy after all. Should come in good shape.

Got the figure today. Isn't there suppose to be some kind of leaflet in the box, explaining how the inner jaw can be operated? Anyway, can somebody that has found out how please tell me? Don't want to do anything that could damage the figure. Thanks.
The figure is actually pretty nice, but yes, it is small. Sideshow has send me a pretty beat up box, smeared with some kind of sticker residue. And there's a tiny tear in the rubber, on his left foot, between the toes. The rubber suit is ultra thin on the left foot, so the tear is no surprize. Going to try for a replacement. It's a $170 toy after all. Should come in good shape.

Damn, sorry to hear that man. I'm surprised SS sent it out in that condition. There's no instructions with the figure. The jaw just needs to be pulled down (gently) and you can then extend the tongue. Tweezer's may come in handy unless you have nails.

I saw one in person for the first time at Universal Studios T2-3D ride store, and I still have to say it is totally MEH! Nice detail, but overall so totally not worth $170, and it's likely to rott away soon if you know Medicom materials.

I still don't understand the love for this piece. Scale sucks, paint is blah, material questionable, price ridiculous. For nearly a fourth of that price you can get the incredible NECA 1/4 scale version.

I still say you guys are crazy. Let's see what Hot Toys shows us with this character.

Damn, sorry to hear that man. I'm surprised SS sent it out in that condition. There's no instructions with the figure. The jaw just needs to be pulled down (gently) and you can then extend the tongue. Tweezer's may come in handy unless you have nails.
Thanks. Yes, that's what i thought. As for the damage, can't blame SSC for that, as the damage isn't visible unless you inspect the figure up close. I don't think the people from SSC inspect the Medicom stuff, I think they leave that to medicom! So, the person that did the paint job on this figure might have seen the damage, but then again, he/she could also be the one that is responsible for it, and, then it's not a surprize that the damage doesn't get called for. But someone from QC must have seen it for sure.
Either way, I contacted SSC about this, let's see what they say. Man, I've had quite a few issues with stuff coming from them lately. I still need to inspect my 2 12" Stormtroopers that also arrived today. I'm kinda scared to inspect the Iron Spidey comiquette that is on it's way to me; quite some people have had paint issues with that piece.

I saw one in person for the first time at Universal Studios T2-3D ride store, and I still have to say it is totally MEH! Nice detail, but overall so totally not worth $170, and it's likely to rott away soon if you know Medicom materials.

I still don't understand the love for this piece. Scale sucks, paint is blah, material questionable, price ridiculous. For nearly a fourth of that price you can get the incredible NECA 1/4 scale version.

I still say you guys are crazy. Let's see what Hot Toys shows us with this character.

Yes, your right about some of these things; the price of Medicom stuff really is ridiculous. I still say it is the price for the Japanese market, and the price should be adapted to the EU and US markets. But I guess Medicom won't have it. Yes, some of their figures are to small, as is this Alien. I've had a problem with rotting material on an older Medicom figure (1999), but I seriously hope that these issues are taken care of, so I don't see this Alien figure rotting away anytime soon.
Why this Medicom Alien? As far as I know, it's the only true 12" articulated representation of Gigers Alien, and the detail on this one is really awesome. It's a really nice figure to look at.
HT making the Giger Alien, I don't see it happen in the near future. But if they do, It will look different from Medicom's that's for sure.

Hot Toys already announced the Alien is coming this year. Hopefully it will get the love the Predator 1 did, and not the interpretational style they gave the Aliens version.

The Medicom is a true 12" articulated figure, right, but it's not true 1/6 scale, making it useless in my predominantly Hot Toys collection. It cannot be dispalyed with anything else and not look out of place. Detail is very nice though, I agree. The head still isn't better done than the NECA though, IMO.

...It cannot be dispalyed with anything else and not look out of place. Detail is very nice though, I agree. The head still isn't better done than the NECA though, IMO.

That only applies if you're TRYING to keep your collection in some kind of certain scale. Which really limits you on what you can collect...sadly.

My collection has ALL different scale versions of Aliens and Preds. And they all display together just fine.

Hot Toys already announced the Alien is coming this year. Hopefully it will get the love the Predator 1 did, and not the interpretational style they gave the Aliens version.

The Medicom is a true 12" articulated figure, right, but it's not true 1/6 scale, making it useless in my predominantly Hot Toys collection. It cannot be dispalyed with anything else and not look out of place. Detail is very nice though, I agree. The head still isn't better done than the NECA though, IMO.

I was pretty down on the Medicom figure until I got the little guy in hand. You know what , both NECA's and the Medicom are pretty damn accurate. One of the reason's that the Alien looked so different in shots and is difficult to replicate accurately is that there were several on set versions. The suit and head sculpted by Giger, the animatronic head by Carlo Rambaldi and also a stunt suit which Eddi Powell wore. NECA's version has pretty much nailed the Rambaldi head and the Medicom is a minature version of Giger's suit. Both figures are superb in their own right and I'm really glad I got both.

I'm waiting with baited breath to see what Hot Toys will bring to the party. However going on past experience they'll probably come up with another one of their "artistic" versions. Also the rubber they keep on using for the bodies is very prone to splitting unfortunately. Tine will tell though I just wish they would hurry up and release some photo's 'cause the waits killing me! :banghead

the funny thing is with this, in terms of scale. Is that if I was getting this, the scale wouldn't bother me, as I always thought the Aliens were around 6 feet tall anyway, going by how they looked in the films. When I saw pics of the Hot Toys figures I was like "woah! They made them too big!!" :lol So this would work in 1/6 poses for me

looks like a great figure!

I just saw this in Forbidden Planet in London.

I do like it, but man - you guys in the States think it's overpriced at $170? Over here they want £156 for it. Yep, that's $227!

It's good, but it ain't that good.

Back