Action Figure Medicom - MAFEX Star Wars line coming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my mafex Rogue One vader

r7ptvr.png

Got myself a new BS Vader today. I put the Mafex cape on him and he looks the business. Once you take the Mafex head off, the cape pegs into 2 small holes either side of the neck. The neck hole on the BS is just big enough for you to stuff the pegs in and put the head back on, and you don't lose movement. The saber blade on my BS was bent, but, I found that the Mafex blade slotted in just nicely! So, I now have a Vader that I'm fully happy with, and it's thanks to Hasbro, I know! (The weather is too crappy for my camera to take any decent pics, we'll see tomorrow.)

Hey Rogerbee,
Which Mafex Vader cape did you use?

Cool posted pics of mine using your formula on the Black Series thread.

Excellent pictures, imo he looks fantastic. Much better than the OG Vader. Despite all the criticism, your pics just sold me on him lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've already bought him and this just made me stoked even more, was kinda shocked when I read the accompanying comments. I think the proportions are better than the 40th I think neither are perfect, so if I have to take a compromise, I'll go with the one with better aesthetic quality and a more stylistic look like you'd see in fanart. 40th bs looks too toyish still to me, the chestbox size and how well fat he looks in particular really catches my eye in a negative way. I keep looking at pics of darth vader in all movies, I'm sorry I just see the R1 mafex as coming closer, I don't find the BS 40th helmet proportions satisfactory to the body, I know people keep saying vader's helmet is huge, but the 40ths still seems too huge to me, I'd rather have a slimmer more elegant compromise if nothing looks like it nails it perfectly. Also, cloth capes never drape well, not truly in a scale below 8". I'd rather have this because the wire and a flow even if it's slight, tends to look better to me. I love how the cape looks falling over the shoulders in these pics. Haven't seen that in any 40th BS vader.

So yeah maybe I'll be disappointed irl, idk, but these pics just made me more psyched. (So thanks for them either way.)

Edit
I'm not sure what the appeal is of the Black Series Vader looking at this comparison:[...]

Not gonna annoy people quoting a large old post but yeah I see I'm not the first/alone mentioning these points.

I particularly love these shots/poses man! And yeah if you're coming from 1/6th quality I can understand your position more I guess. But I don't see much reason to be disappointed. Still amazed how much I like the red lenses. (I never did before.) Also looking forward to mod in a fabric skirt, that will probably help a bit as well.
(Btw the crotch piece look is actually accurate to R1, even though it's my biggest gripe with the look.)

Well I finally caved and bought the Mafex Death Trooper. First Star Wars figure in that scale that I will own. Hope it is worth the pr Very tag!!

I find the Death Trooper very tempting. Please share pics when you got him!

I particularly love these shots/poses man! And yeah if you're coming from 1/6th quality I can understand your position more I guess. But I don't see much reason to be disappointed. Still amazed how much I like the red lenses. (I never did before.) Also looking forward to mod in a fabric skirt, that will probably help a bit as well.

(Btw the crotch piece look is actually accurate to R1, even though it's my biggest gripe with the look.)

I've already bought him and this just made me stoked even more, was kinda shocked when I read the accompanying comments. I think the proportions are better than the 40th I think neither are perfect, so if I have to take a compromise, I'll go with the one with better aesthetic quality and a more stylistic look like you'd see in fanart. 40th bs looks too toyish still to me, the chestbox size and how well fat he looks in particular really catches my eye in a negative way. I keep looking at pics of darth vader in all movies, I'm sorry I just see the R1 mafex as coming closer, I don't find the BS 40th helmet proportions satisfactory to the body, I know people keep saying vader's helmet is huge, but the 40ths still seems too huge to me, I'd rather have a slimmer more elegant compromise if nothing looks like it nails it perfectly. Also, cloth capes never drape well, not truly in a scale below 8". I'd rather have this because the wire and a flow even if it's slight, tends to look better to me. I love how the cape looks falling over the shoulders in these pics. Haven't seen that in any 40th BS vader.

So yeah maybe I'll be disappointed irl, idk, but these pics just made me more psyched. (So thanks for them either way.)

Your great pictures didn't really help your case :lol

I have the first ROTJ version and it does have a lanky appearance. I wish they increased the thickness on the RO version, as even Kylo Ren has bigger arms than the Vader figures. But the helmet looks so much better this time around.

Guys, I really hope you like it once in hand. Not to brag but I had myself buy again figures I didn't like just by looking at pics I did of them. :lol

Indeed I used to collect 1/6 HT and SSC figures as well as PFs, so that's quite a step down (although I find 1/12 way more fun to pose and collect). And by the way, now that I got used to it, I like this Vader a lot. :)

Anyway, thanks a lot for the comments on the pics, I appreciate!

Yes great pics, and to make those of you feel a little better about this Mafex figure here's something from a Rogue One featurette.

c043b309ecdaa84f93cffc792d1202a4.png

Yes great pics, and to make those of you feel a little better about this Mafex figure here's something from a Rogue One featurette.

c043b309ecdaa84f93cffc792d1202a4.png

Wow that is a great shot! Is that on the Blu Ray extras or where?

How they could have him wear the inner robe both above and below the chest armor in the same friggin' movie in 2016 is still beyond me.

But he does look just like the MAFEX in the pic above.

Anyway, do we know if Medicom has plans for The Last Jedi? I'm surprised they have revealed nothing on Force Friday II. Are they out of the game? I'm holding off on BS and SHF but I'm growing weaker. :lol

My theory on the under/over armor deal is that in Episode III the tunic was under the shoulder-chest armor and in Episode IV it was under. So they just used both looks with the under the armor being last since R1 ends right as ANH starts.

I've seen some people suggest that they actually did all the filming with the robe under the armor, then changed it at some point in post with CGI after realizing they had missed that detail when trying to recreate the ANH look. This theory is supported by the fact that every behind-the-scenes picture of him (at least that I've been able to dig up) shows the robes under the armor.

And fixing his look with cg has precedent. Check the massive neck gap in the trailer from the shot where he turns back to krennic to deliver the "choking on aspirations" line. In the final film, it appears to be the exact same shot, but the huge neck gap at the bottom of his facemask is gone.

Now someone post some more pics of the mafex figure! I still prefer the hasbro 40th but you guys are doing a great job softening my opinion on the Mafex R1 Vader... and my ROTJ Boba Fett should be here from hlj by next week if not sooner! Can't wait!

How the absolute **** do you 'forget' Vader wore his robes over his armor when you're literally making the 8th official star wars movie!? That's completely preposterous. All the pre-production including concept art would remind somebody at some point of that detail. I don't buy that at all or epic fail.

I find it more likely that they chose to switch considering RotS did not have it over his armor, so that they debated whether to or not and ultimately switched to his ANH look I can imagine. The chest plate is also different from RotS. Maybe they wanted a hybrid look at first and changed their mind later.

Well, they forgot that Obi-wan needed to obtain Anakin's light saber in ROTS so he could give it to Luke in ANH. Seriously, listen to the ROTS commentary. The shot of kenobi picking up the saber was a pickup done months later. Because they forgot.

The people who make these films and are in charge of things like continuity, costume design, etc are often not obsessive fans of the material critical of every detail the way we nerds on the internet are.

Well, they forgot that Obi-wan needed to obtain Anakin's light saber in ROTS so he could give it to Luke in ANH. Seriously, listen to the ROTS commentary. The shot of kenobi picking up the saber was a pickup done months later. Because they forgot.

The people who make these films and are in charge of things like continuity, costume design, etc are often not obsessive fans of the material critical of every detail the way we nerds on the internet are.

:lol really originally they forgot Obi had to grab Anakin's saber :cuckoo:

There were also a lot of reshoots done for the movie, including the end scene with Vader going all-out. The reshoots were with Daniel Naprous as Vader and it's very possible that for his scenes the robes were switched back over the armor, while the initial scenes with Vader (most were cut) had the robes under the armor for some reason. Don't know why, but I think that probably explains it.

Well, they forgot that Obi-wan needed to obtain Anakin's light saber in ROTS so he could give it to Luke in ANH. Seriously, listen to the ROTS commentary. The shot of kenobi picking up the saber was a pickup done months later. Because they forgot..

Can you imagine the EU story they would have came up with to fix that? :lol

Back