Medicom Kubrick Star Wars Pieces

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pixletwin said:
I'm surprised you haven't disowned me long ago Batty. Seeing as how I was going to send you SMiLE 3 different times. :lol
'Ah, all things come to those who wait' :rock

EVILFACE said:
Nope, I outgrew Legos.

:lol :lol They do look like giant legos. And for some of the prices that I have seen here and there for them, not really worth it. I should just get some minimates.

Yeah but Minimates suck. :lol These western-made block figures got nothin' on Medicom! You've gotta have some bad taste in art if you can't appreciate the aesthetics of kubs/VCDs. :chew :emperor

Amanaman said:
Yeah but Minimates suck. :lol These western-made block figures got nothin' on Medicom! You've gotta have some bad taste in art if you can't appreciate the aesthetics of kubs/VCDs. :chew :emperor

I think the kubricks look cool and I LOVE lego star wars. SO thats ok with me if they look alittle like legos stylistically. :cool:

But if someone wants to sell me a throne for $150, I will forsake the Kubies and go Jabba. :D

Kubs were inspired by LEGO, though, so they're cool. I like LEGO for different reasons of course. Kubs are more about the art.

Mini-mates don't make sense to me. A super-articulated block figure looks ridiculous! It's a contrived concept. Plus, their sculpts are nothing impressive nor aesthically consistent like Kubricks.

However, this line, the kubs, are a completist's nightmare. Even the non-SW stuff like BttF. If you're happy to get whatever you can get, go for it.

Kubricks are what happens when you put a lot of good effort and good licences into a lame concept.

For whatever reason, I think Playmobile and Playschool stuff is totally cool, but the whole square figure thing flies right over my head.

the appeal of kubricks, IMO, is that its shape draws from childhood toys like legos and etc but repackaged with properties from movies, video games, anime, comics, and such that are more familiar to current adults (it is suggested for 13+ on the package)

We all out grew legos at one point or another, and the reality is, most of us dont buy legos or playmobil once we out grew them. Doesn't mean that legos are not cool, the appeal is still there, its just not the same anymore. And this is where the kubrick come in, they are like a link to our childhood past. Its something that you buy not because you want to play with it like you did when you were a kid, but you buy it because it reminds you of the fun you had playing with legos and etc.

Sure, kids probably like them too, but for older customers, the kubricks are a more appealling purchase than buying legos. And the popularity of kubrick is a good indication that its not a lame concept.

the appeal of kubricks, IMO, is that its shape draws from childhood toys like legos and etc but repackaged with properties from movies, video games, anime, comics, and such that are more familiar to current adults (it is suggested for 13+ on the package)

We all out grew legos at one point or another, and the reality is, most of us dont buy legos or playmobil once we out grew them. Doesn't mean that legos are not cool, the appeal is still there, its just not the same anymore. And this is where the kubrick come in, they are like a link to our childhood past. Its something that you buy not because you want to play with it like you did when you were a kid, but you buy it because it reminds you of the fun you had playing with legos and etc.

Sure, kids probably like them too, but for older customers, the kubricks are a more appealling purchase than buying legos. And the popularity of kubrick is a good indication that its not a lame concept.

I completely 100% agree. I was (and still am) a HUGE fan of Legos and more importantly the little lego figures. I used to buy sets just for the figures. When I found Kubricks a few years ago, I was hooked. These are easily the most fun i've ever had in collecting. While i've collected figures for years, i've always found myself drawn to the unsual and different. I could care less about likeness or accuracy...

the 400% ones look awesome

I'm a big fan of Kubricks and especially the 400% pieces. Here are some of mine:

Detolf2.jpg

Detolf3.jpg

400BHS.jpg

400Jack1.jpg

Missing from the pics are Batman and a Skull Bearbrick...

I also collect the 100% lines as well. And they are more addicting then anything else i've ever collected. You have to be careful though, it's very easy to get in over your head. When I started I tried to get everything including the SW chases/exclusives which START at $100 and can get up over $200 easy. After a while I calmed down and sold all the chases and exclusives except for Indy. Now the only pieces i'll spend a lot on are the 400% ones. They are my true favorites. My grail though is still the 1000% Andy Warhol... :drool

Last edited:
Back