Medicom Indy and Dr. Jones - the polite thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Story tell me that never trust the photo to make your pre-order until you see the real thing......Well, I should have switched to Sr. Henry instead, but it didn't comes to my mine at the time......

Luckily, it doesn't cost me too much and I will leave him in the box for a decade or two......

DSCF0148.jpg

DSCF0150.jpg

I just don't understand the hatred of this figure. That's the second best Harrison Ford likeness ever after Toys McCoy. It's a much better likeness of Ford then Trevor's Han Solo sculpt, and frankly, I'm not convinced the factory painted SSC Indy will actually look like him. Yes, the shirt and the body are both shi t. But I'm not going to look at SSC's Indy and think, 'wow, look at that amazing shirt!'.

Cause there are way too many things that look cheap that shouldn't on a over $100 figure.

To this I will add that I just received my Henry Sr. And...

This is a very nice figure... but not for $150. Should be $90, tops.

For one, the glasses do not appear to be removable... the ends are stuck inside the head behind the ears. :confused: :duh Good lord, even Hasbro was able to make Henry with removable glasses in the 3.75" scale! :rolleyes:

Also, one side of the frame on my glasses arrived broken, because it's of course extremely-thin plastic. :banghead

Which brings me to the overall gripe I have with this figure (and now pretty much all of Medicom's 12" stuff): While the sculpt (and paint apps) is excellent and the tailoring is nice there are too many things about it that scream "toy!" and even "cheap!" to me. The hat is not at all more detailed or nicer than a $20 Hasbro would be. And the suitcase and umbrella... while nicely sculpted... are static and without much detail at all (think Clone Trooper blaster). If Hot Toys or even Sideshow made this thing the suitcase and probably even the umbrella would open.

Good figure? Yes. The best 1/6 Henry we're likely to ever see (thanks to the status of Sideshow's line)? Probably. Worth $150? HELL NO.

I'm glad I have it (just in case) but after receiving so many home runs from Hot Toys and an occasional gem from Sideshow (Old Ben, General Kenobi) these Medicom figures are just way under the mark now. And then you factor in the price and they just become downright insulting.

I'm now considering canceling Young Indy.

:mad:

Sorry to hear about the broken glasses - things like that suck, especially when you've bought it from some guy in the Orient.

I'll never forget getting my second HT 2 in 1 Superman - the one I was going to keep in the box, pristine, forever, 'cause I liked the figure so much - and seeing that the glue which was supposed to keep the belt on had somehow ended up on the trunks, making it look like Superman had ejaculated in his super-briefs.

Yeah, the Medi's definitely aren't worth $150. I paid $200 for both, and would not have paid more. But to me the sculpt and paint apps are more important than the accessories and detailing. You've got to wonder, is that what the Jap market looks for most in a figure, sculpt and paint apps?

I just got my Medicom Indy and Henry. I will probably be raked over the coals for saying so, but I love them both! I'm not pro-Medi or pro-Sideshow...I am an Indy fan (and a Star Wars fan). With that said, these two are the first Medicom figures I have owned. I'll also preface my comments with the fact that these were a birthday gift, so maybe the fact that I didn't drop $300 of my own money on them may skew my opinion (though, now that I have them in hand, I would have happily spent my own money on them).

Henry is amazing...the sculpt is awesome and so is the outfit. I especilly dig his shirt for some reason. The glasses don't bother me, I would probably never remove them anyway and I think they pulled the whole thing off well..they look great. I was a little disappointed about the suitcase, like Irish mentioned, and it would have been really nice for them to include the Grail Diary. Also, I agree, the hat is not the best but looks a whole lot better than the original proto pics (where it looked lie a flower pot). Some paint apps probably would have improved the overall look of it. Still, I really, really love this figure.

I have to admit, I was anxious about Indy. I think that the in hand pics looks a lot better than the initial proto pics, but he still looked a little off to me. I am happy to say that, in hand, he is way better than any pic can express. I really like the sculpt and the paint apps are nice and clean. At first I thought they missed the chin scar, but is there...nice and subtle. His neck is a little long, but with a little futzing with the collar of his shirt and jacket, does not look as bad as pics might lead you to believe.

His clothing did need a little tweaking to look good. I removed the jacket, kind of stretched out the back a little, and put it back on. I also pulled the sleeves down some. This drastically improved the fit of it as the collar kind of hung down in the back right out of the box. I really love the jacket...it is just the right weight/thickness and the material is nice. The zipper really does not look overly huge in hand as I feared it would. I know a lot of folks aren't fans of the removable hat, but I think they really pulled it off. It doesn't look to bulky on his head, though it is a rather tight fit. Also, the hat does not look very good out of the box as it is packaged so the brim is flat (think Zorro). I tilted the brim down in front and up in back and it held that way. The detailing on his shoes is quite nice. I don't mind that they went with plastic for the gun belt, holster and , whip holder at all. I am always so scared to break the belts and holsters on my Sidshow figures, but Indy's belt is quite functional. I was really hesitant to open the flap on his holster our the whip holder but they are very sturdy and I don't think the plastic detracts from the overall look of the figure at all. I do wish the belt was adjustabe though. My only real big complaint on the whole figure is the bag...it is just too small and narrow. The Relic Hunter bag is much nicer and I am considering swapping it out. The detailing is very nice on his shoes...but I wish they had included socks as they did on Henry.

As far as accessories, there are a ton and they are quite nice. The gun is a nice sculpt, fits very well in his hand and holster (no, it is not sculpted into his hand). It is a little toyish, without much paint work. The artifacts are all well done, though the Sankara stone seems a tiny bit too large to me. The Ra headpiece actually has a crystal like center (I am assuming the piece is molded in clear red plastic with gold paint over it). It looks pretty good. Nurhachi's urn is also well done, looks more like the actual prop than the Hasbro one though it is kind of "flat", like a canteen, instead of round like Hasbro's. Not really sure which is more accurate. I am stilll on the fence about the whip. It's cool that it is braided and all, but it seems kind of plasticy. It is a tad bulky, but not as bulky as the Relic Hunter whip. I haven't uncoiled it. Anyway, it looks good on his hip, it is far from perfect though.

Anyway, I am very happy to have both of these. I think they look great together. Henry is beautiful, though lacking in accesories. Indy is not the abomination that he has been made out to be and with a little work looks pretty darned good. I am still looking forward to Sideshows Indy, which I have very high hopes for...and hopefully they do their own Henry one day. In the mean time, I think these guys are great and very welcome additions to my Indy collection.

I thought this was the polite thread? :rotfl

Sr. & Young Indy both look good from the pics, but I have no interest in that Medi Indy.

Hasbro actually pulled off a really nice Indy sculpt (whip action) for the price.

I bought a few & they look good with a repaint...

hasbroindy1.jpg

hasbroindy2.jpg

hasbroindy3.jpg

hasbroindy4.jpg

hasbroindy5.jpg

If you want a really good Indy, there are plenty of solid choices out there for heads & gear now. I'd say make your own or wait for the SS Indy.

Hasbro actually pulled off a really nice Indy sculpt (whip action) for the price.

That's one of the things that really surprised me about the Hasbro Indy. The whip-action sculpt wasn't bad (they even got his scar in there). The shirt for the ":naughty rapid repeating :naughty" Indy (take the whip out and try that bent-wrist action feature), was actually detailed to look sweaty. His accessories weren't bad either; the gunbelt, pistol, 2 whips/leather jacket, idol, pistol belt, 2 whips and pouch. What you get for that measly $20 is just soooooo out of character for Hasbro.

I've made up my mind. I'm sick and tired of waiting for Sideshow, plus I wants an indy which is in scale with my tweaked Dovchenko figure (it'll give me an excuse to remount the head from Dov onto a RAH body), so I'm going to get the medicom indy.
God knows when we'll get sideshows anyway!

He's still slated for a November release... so that's what I'm counting on. But nothing would make me want to buy the Medicom version.

I can honestly say, if Sideshow announced tomorrow that they were cancelling their 12" Indy I would still not be compelled to buy the POS Medicom figure. Maybe if it was reduced to 50 bucks or something.

I can honestly say, if Sideshow announced tomorrow that they were cancelling their 12" Indy I would still not be compelled to buy the POS Medicom figure. Maybe if it was reduced to 50 bucks or something.

Ditto. I'd rather customize a Hasbro. I don't know how they can make young Indy and Sr. Jones look so good and completely miss the mark on this one.

I think they are not willing to change their style enough to accomodate a character like Indy. Which is too bad, he really should have been a great figure (and has a lot going for him) but still too many wtf? decisions to make him worth owning.

Nahhh...
If SS cancelled, I'd get Medi's, still cheaper than a McCoy one that's for sure,
and maybe it can work on a larger body...

I'm still getting the Sideshow one, just I want another now, Plus its in scale with the Dovchenko I have.
I have 4 Custom Indy's so far and the toys mccoy anyway. I was going to scale back a little, but I'm sick of waiting for Sideshow.

That Indy's going on a massive body (which he should have been on in the first place).

CSC has them listed in stock. Hopefully mine have been shipped.

I've tried this figure on several bigger, better bodies and sadly it didn't work with any of them. Either the trousers were too short, or the shirt and/or jacket were too small. I tried the current and original Hot Toys, the Side Show, the Ignite, and even another Medicom (from the similarly poorly executed Superman Returns figure). If anybody manages to get it to work with a better body please let us know because make no mistake, this is a real clunker of a body. It has the proportions of a nine year old boy. What on earth were they thinking? It's possible to improve it radically by using Blu Tack and kitchen towel to pad the shoulders and gut but you shouldn't have to do this with such an expensive figure.

Back