Medicom Indy and Dr. Jones - the polite thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me start out by saying I really wanted this figure to spank the Sideshow Indy. I really did. I thought it would too. Sadly...

4393_press01-001.jpg

For the price point, you simply don't get what you deserve. That thing is not worth $180, no way, no how. I think Josh will agree with me that it isn't even worth $100. You get the RAH body which is not only the most fragile body in 1:6 scale, but I swear it is more in ratio to that of a teenage boy than a fully grown man, the poorly tailored clothes (highwater pants, bigass 70's buttons and a jacket who's collar won't even sit down and whose zipper would take two hands to pull up!), the whip that looks more like fraying wicker than the leather bullwhip it's supposed to represent and the MEGO Freddy hat. The only thing they got right is the face, but again, it looks more like a Han Solo, than an Indiana Jones. Their older Indy is a smidgen better, but still no where near worth the price point either. It's really a shame when the supporting cast (Henry Sr. & Young Indy) get better quality action figure than the main hero of the film.

As I said before, the Medicom looks more like something Robot Chicken would toss together for a quick 45sec skit than something Medicom put out. I don't even see how this passed their QC either. If I was Akashi-san, I would've sent it back with a reference photo of Sideshow's Indy, pink slips and a Wakasashi. When you compare what you get for what you pay, $180 to $20, crude or not, Hasbro comes out on top in this one. IMO anyway.

I would agree its not worth the price Medicom wants for this guy. I didn't think so though when I saw it at SDCC.

Come on. I don't see how anyone can say the Hasbro is as good as or better. That's crazy talk. Sure Medicom's isn't worth the price and does look toyish, but Hasbro's literally looks like a turd when compared to the Medicom.

Sideshow's looks like it will destroy them both. :gun

Indy001.jpg
Indy.jpg

Come on. I don't see how anyone can say the Hasbro is as good as or better. That's crazy talk. Sure Medicom's isn't worth the price and does look toyish, but Hasbro's literally looks like a turd when compared to the Medicom.

Indy001.jpg
Indy.jpg

If you can't see it by looking at those two pics, then I guess we'll agree to disagree, but looking at them it's even MORE apparent. Again, Medicom's head is better, but not the $160 difference better. Hasbro spanked them on just about everything else. I'd love to see what the Medicom would look like with Hasbro's clothes, whip, etc on him. Unfortunately the hat on Hasbro's is molded but if someone also has the talking Indy, they can try it.

You might also be missing the fact that, and it is a HUGE factor, we're taking the price into consideration too.

I've now got the Medicom Indy and Henry figures. Henry, I think, is pretty decent - sure, the clothes don't compare with a Hot Toys suit but the face sculpt is great. I think the Indy sculpt is pretty good too, although I think the head is a bit thin and elongated - kind of like some cheap figure heads look when they've been boil and popped. I wanted them because I think they look okay on a shelf, and I wanted them to go with the young Indy figure I'll be getting next year. And, frankly because for all their faults, this is only the second high end ROTLA Indy figure ever, there'll only be one more, and there'll never be any after that unless we get Indy 5, and even then maybe not. And it's the only officially licensed Henry Jones Snr we'll ever get.

Given that I've bought these as an Indy fan rather than action figure collector, I'm reasonably happy with them. Yeah, they don't compare to Hot Toys, but then, nothing else does. Everything that's been written about their faults is true. On the other hand, they're not rubbish - they're not a complete crapfest. They are good likenesses, and to me that's more important than anything in a figure.

I wouldn't advise anyone else to buy these, but I'm glad I own them - even if I'm aware that they could have been a whole lot better. And don't pay more than I did ($260 for both, including shipping in two days from Hong Kong to the UK).

Indy001.jpg
Indy.jpg

If I said something like this about a SS item I'd get told I was a fanboy or apologist. :lol

Clearly the Medicom is nicer quality... but I'd say it is about an even match between the two as to which one sucks more. However, given that Medicom is supposed to be a "high-end" collectible and looks that bad is more a problem than the $20 toy looking like junk.

Looks like for now the Toys McCoy is still tops, lets hope Sideshow delivers the figure we all want :rock

Clearly the Medicom is nicer quality... but I'd say it is about an even match between the two as to which one sucks more. However, given that Medicom is supposed to be a "high-end" collectible and looks that bad is more a problem than the $20 toy looking like junk.

Looks like for now the Toys McCoy is still tops, lets hope Sideshow delivers the figure we all want :rock

Oh yes... I hope Sideshow delivers too, but it's good to know Toys McCoy is still hanging in there as the champ... How old is it now, nine years or something, and still legendary...

If I said something like this about a SS item I'd get told I was a fanboy or apologist. :lol

Been there, and accused of that! :rotfl If it looks like a turd, smells like a turd, it definitely ain't a snickers. Although... if Sideshow's turns out like that, I'd likely call it for the turd it was. In this case though, I think Medicom's is the meat turd with an additional $160 weight sinking it to the bottom and Hasbro's the $20 floatie as it definitely rises to the top of the bowl.

Indy001.jpg
Indy.jpg

Well of course the Medicom isn't as bad as the Hasbro one.

BUT looking at those pics, the Hasbro figure looks more inline with the Indiana Jones character than the vastly more expensive Medicom.

I agree that the Medicom Indy didn't turn out too great, but I still think the Toys McCoy Indy is my favorite. Here's a pic of Toys McCoy Indy with Medicom Henry Jones. I think they look great together!
indy.jpg

I agree that the Medicom Indy didn't turn out too great, but I still think the Toys McCoy Indy is my favorite. Here's a pic of Toys McCoy Indy with Medicom Henry Jones. I think they look great together!
indy.jpg

Why is Sr. looking right at me? I seen some relic hunters that have been weathered that look incredible, just needed a new sculpt i.e. Hembles figures.

Yeah, no doubt about it, the McCoy is the top Indy ATM. But what's he up to now? $600? $750? As nice as the McCoy is, that's -4 HotToys Predators man... I'm fine with the $20 Hasbro Indy until Sideshow's comes out.

:confused: where the hell did that come from?! :confused: :rotfl

The Hasbro Indy looks like Indy after he's spent a few months sitting on the couch eating burgers.

Love the Toys McCoy and Henry pic. It's really sobering to think that SSC's Indy might be the last time anyone has a chance to do this figure properly. If it turns out to be a disappointment its going to really hurt.

I wish Toys McCoy would rerelease their Indy/ make a new one with a better body, but after this year I bet anything Indy is commercial poison.

Yeah, no doubt about it, the McCoy is the top Indy ATM. But what's he up to now? $600? $750? As nice as the McCoy is, that's -4 HotToys Predators man... I'm fine with the $20 Hasbro Indy until Sideshow's comes out.

Couple recently sold for $400 and like $550. I imagine having new versions has hurt his desirability a bit. But really impressive that a figure as old has him can still hold up so well. And honestly with a body swap, or at least the hands I think he'd be even better.

Back