Mattel: DC Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair they've had a hard time selling DCUC on mattycollector.com, but part of that was poor character choice and competition with the same figures at retail. Atrocitus, Jay, Ivy, and Metron would definitely sell, though. Sticking them in a subscription line that probably won't go forward is a ____ move.

Even if the subscription doesn't go through, it doesn't mean the figures won't be available every month. Motu figures didn't start out as subscriptions.

It does actually. Toyguru (maybe fangirl) said they won't be sold (or even made) if the subscription doesn't go through. That was his [possibly her] threat on facebook that pissed off every other person who read it.
On mattycollector Toyguru (definitely him) said they need to hit the top of that ____ing thermometer for the sub to forward.

Mattel is full of horse sh|_|t! This line has been successful but obviously not as successful as they would have hoped. They've reached the price threshold that they can sell the figures without losing tons of support and it appears that it still isn't the cash cow they would have hoped for when they bought the master license. It probably makes money but it also probably isn't hitting forecast numbers regarding profits. So it seems that it might be on the chopping block...just like DCIHS, JLU & DC Retro Action figs.

The last time there was this much angst about a popular line with little concrete information being given, and in this case, conflicting information being given, we were staring at the final days of Marvel Legends. Hasbro did the same kinda thing. Keep promising that they were 100% behind the line...saying they weren't going to cancel it and they needed time to make the transition. Then BAM! It was over..."Go buy Marvel Universe figs if you want to collect Marvel toys."

These guys are even worst! They say the rebooted line won't necessarily have just the new Jim Lee disigns, it will include both new & not so new. While at the same time saying classics will move forward if the sub goes through but it too won't be just all classic renditions :huh. WTF does that mean? If the new branded line will contain both classic & modern, then what's the need for the subscription?!?! Ditto for the sub! Why have both when they are saying both lines will be peppered with all types of new and old designs?

Whatever the case, there's some corporate BS going on in the background that they are not privy to reveal...only time will tell what that means for the fans.

I mean come on, when was the last time they showed up to SDCC with just ONE! partial wave?!?!

The good news? The Crime Syndicate pack has been found out in the wild. The bad news? It's 80$ all the luck in the world to those who continue forward the Mattel. Personally, I'm putting my set on Ebay this weekend, There's a Sideshow Joker coming in case you haven't heard! *snicker*

The GL 5 pack showed up last year at an increased price and was later dropped lower. If they all hit at $80 bucks, you can count on it being an easy find & it'll go on clearance.

Scampers won't shell out a ton of dough to clear these out at $80 bucks a pop...just like they didn't, in my area anyway, for the GL 5 pack.

Has anyone seen Wave 18 in stores yet?

Will it still even reach brick & mortar stores?

If a person were going to buy all the figs in the wave, is anywhere online cheaper than buying in store? Including Shipping.

That's right, she's the other one, isn't she?

Yes, she's going for big money on the aftermarket. I can't find myself to spend over $100 for her. I remember reading a while back she was supposed to make her round again. I don't think that will happen now. Since the line is almost dead. Last time I checked S.T.R.I.P.E. was still availble on Matty. So that's not looking good for us JLU fans. :(

I'm not interested in that many DC Universe Classics characters to get a sub, I just pick up the once in a blue moon JLA characters I like at the local retail and only go on EBay for ones if I can't find it before the scalpers and flippers get a hold of them.

After the last three Metal Men, (Iron, Tin, Platinum) I would have been finished with the line anyway. Matty wouldn’t re-issue Lobo for some stupid reason, so hooking me for one sub (MOTUC) is enough.

I kind of hope their DC Subscription gimmick blows up in their faces.

Has anyone seen Wave 18 in stores yet?

Will it still even reach brick & mortar stores?

If a person were going to buy all the figs in the wave, is anywhere online cheaper than buying in store? Including Shipping.

Yep, saw them last week at wal-mart and used my $5 off coupon from SDCC to get Bronze Tiger :yess:

Mattel is full of horse sh|_|t! This line has been successful but obviously not as successful as they would have hoped. They've reached the price threshold that they can sell the figures without losing tons of support and it appears that it still isn't the cash cow they would have hoped for when they bought the master license. It probably makes money but it also probably isn't hitting forecast numbers regarding profits. So it seems that it might be on the chopping block...just like DCIHS, JLU & DC Retro Action figs.

The last time there was this much angst about a popular line with little concrete information being given, and in this case, conflicting information being given, we were staring at the final days of Marvel Legends. Hasbro did the same kinda thing. Keep promising that they were 100% behind the line...saying they weren't going to cancel it and they needed time to make the transition. Then BAM! It was over..."Go buy Marvel Universe figs if you want to collect Marvel toys."

These guys are even worst! They say the rebooted line won't necessarily have just the new Jim Lee disigns, it will include both new & not so new. While at the same time saying classics will move forward if the sub goes through but it too won't be just all classic renditions :huh. WTF does that mean? If the new branded line will contain both classic & modern, then what's the need for the subscription?!?! Ditto for the sub! Why have both when they are saying both lines will be peppered with all types of new and old designs?

Whatever the case, there's some corporate BS going on in the background that they are not privy to reveal...only time will tell what that means for the fans.

I mean come on, when was the last time they showed up to SDCC with just ONE! partial wave?!?!

:goodpost:
Extremely reminiscent of Hasbro. Something must be rotten in El Segundo...besides the Barbie boxes!

I bought the sub because I do want the figures. I hate Mattel for all the myriad ways they ****ed this line up. They certainly deserve credit for the things they did right in terms of using the Horsemen and having Super Powers be their template. They also deserve all the stick anyone wants to give them for their crap-ass distribution and QC issues. Wave 5 alone still makes me grind my teeth thinking about it.

I would rather not see the sub fail because I believe Mattel when they say these figures won't hit retail otherwise. They have no reason to keep the line going, hence no reason to lie. 20 waves in and it sounds like time to pack it up to me if I am an executive looking at the list of figures they are proposing for future waves. They have put out the largest selection of DC figures in one single style ever, and now they have to compete against Hasbro for 6" super heroes peg space at retail.

Online seems like the only way to keep it going. I hate Digital River. They have a terrible site that has caused me endless problems. On top of all that though, I still want to add figures if they are going to make them.

I'm pretty sure that the finger of blame can be levelled at WB corporate and the DiDio/Johns 'Reboot that isn't a reboot at all honestky guv'nor'.

Still, as I have postulated elsewhere, this line was only really ever about gettign updated Super Powers figures and Super Friends figures into the market place and everything else was juts gravy.

Or is it a co-incidence that the line ends just as those two missions are accomplished?

Mattel handled this line very poorly from the start but I partially blame that on DC not pushing them to do characters that were in the comics now and fan favorites to help push comics, they are going to do that now but to little to late. Hasbro may have killed the Marvel Legends line but the Marvel Universe line has been wonderfully diverse between classic versions of characters and modern. Characters the fans wanted and obscure characters. Then with this annoucnment can they blame people for not wanting the Subs? You announce 3 figures two of which should have been made ages ago. Then throw Posion Ivy out there and say if it doesn't go through the figure will never see the light of day.

Anyway I ordered a Sub mainly because I wanted the Voltron Sub anyway so I figured since I was there and I like the figures announced so far. Also note they extended the Sub deadlines to August 14th now.

Personally, I became pissed at this line when they changed the package style because I am a MOC guy with this line. I really only collect Batman/Justice League figures from the line and was pissed that the package change occurred in the Batman centric Wave 16. The other thing I don't like is that these used to be $12 and are now almost up to $20. It's just too expensive and the characters aren't interesting anymore. I'd love an Ivy/Atrocitus but I'm not gonna buy a subscription for 2 figures I want.

Abstract, I think you are definitely onto something as much as I love Super Powers & the Super Friends, these seemed like someone at Mattel personal favorites as well. They did make it a point to complete these two sub-lines in the collection. I don't think that's why it's looks like it's on it's last leg but I'm sure some figs like "Flash 1" were bumped to make room for more SPs & SFs figs.

Serpentor, I agree that Dave Vonner has done an excellent job designing, selecting and producing the Marvel Universe line. It has been awesome. Him & his team seem to keep the fans VERY content with character selection, packaging design and even pricing! I remember a few years back at SDCC when they were asked why MU cost so much more than SWs and they gave a honest answer by saying all their 3 3/4" stuff had the same MSRP and that they would talk to their retail partners because some of the old Marvel Legend collectors said they would not get onboard cause the price was too steep. About a month and a half later, the MU figure prices dropped to about the same price as SWs! Doesn't excuse them from leading on the MLs collectors then dumping them, but it sure made you think they gave a crap about ditching that scale.

Back