Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think these look good. I know everyone, including myself, love classics but they already did all the primary, secondary, and even tertiary characters. I hope super 7 still makes classics but that isn’t going to attract new people. I have heard some suggest that the main characters should be rereleased at retail in the classics style. However, there are already a lot of people that have those and probably wouldn’t buy them again. A new line that evokes nostalgia is probably the best way to attract new people, casual collectors, and hardcore collectors. I would much rather have this than some redesign aimed at generation z like the new she-ra designs.

Also, the 4 horsemen didn’t do these but will be doing the retail line. They said they are hoping to change the elbow articulation and loin cloths.

So it's June....remember when they said the 1987 Movie figures would ship around June? I never believed that....delays are inevitable.

I AM nervous though....this is my first Super 7 product and they don't exactly have a stellar record for quality control. I highly doubt they're gonna look anywhere near as good as the prototypes. No toys ever do. But I am scared they're gonna look like shiny unpainted plastic.

So it's June....remember when they said the 1987 Movie figures would ship around June? I never believed that....delays are inevitable.

I AM nervous though....this is my first Super 7 product and they don't exactly have a stellar record for quality control. I highly doubt they're gonna look anywhere near as good as the prototypes. No toys ever do. But I am scared they're gonna look like shiny unpainted plastic.

Check out the new Super7 video cast on YouTube. They give a quick update on the '87 figures, which is just a "we'll reveal more soon" lol, but Brian does hold up the new unpainted protos for God Skeletor and He-Man.

Still seem far off though...

I found the video and took some snaps....cut the guy's face off to just focus on the figures. He only holds them for a second though so it's hard to see. And he just dangles He-Man by the head!

The good news is, the sculpts still look pretty detailed, as far as all the movie "tech" goes. Plus it was good to see the blaster in He-Man's holster. But, we all know the best sculpt in the world means nothing with a lousy paint job, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks for the heads up on the video...here's the best glimpses we get:

vlcsnap-2019-06-16-10h30m48s172.jpg
vlcsnap-2019-06-16-10h31m29s600.jpg
vlcsnap-2019-06-16-10h30m54s279.jpg
vlcsnap-2019-06-16-10h31m41s129.jpg

Can someone help me out? Looking for that framed print by Alex Ross. The Masters of the Universe one here:
https://www.sideshow.com/collectibl...masters-of-the-universe-alex-ross-art-500642f

Will pay going prices. PM me or email [email protected]

Dude the quantity is only 100. Many of us wanted this but couldn't get one. It's the single best MOTU piece of art ever made in my opinion. You should check out the Mad Duck Posters for MOTU art prints. There's some great stuff there. :)

So, reading rumors that S7 Classics is pretty much done?
Mattel will start cranking out figures and merchandise apparently...

I hadn't paid much attention honestly given Super7 just offered Snake Mountain and the Stout collection update in June but those rumours might be right...

...They just put out 3 Supercast video updates for SDCC with no updates on MOTU anything, which strikes me as odd as there's still wave 4 of the Club Grayskull to come that's well overdue and of course the Stout/´87 movie line.

Apparently official updates will come for those via email next Friday after someone reached out to Brian.

The new origins line looks pretty nice. I love classics but in lieu of them continuing that, this is the next best thing.

The new origins line looks terrible. Beastman and Man-At-Arms look like bootlegs with terrible paint and soft sculpting. Such a disappointing start. Why does Beastman have shin cuts? The knees are ball jointed, it adds nothing.

SDCC-2019-Mattel-MOTU-Fri-009.jpg

SDCC-2019-Mattel-MOTU-Fri-001.jpg

Meanwhile the Mondo Man-At-Arms is a work of art. Each figure reveal gets better and better.

DSCN5676.JPG

DSCN5677.JPG

I hadn't paid much attention honestly given Super7 just offered Snake Mountain and the Stout collection update in June but those rumours might be right...

...They just put out 3 Supercast video updates for SDCC with no updates on MOTU anything, which strikes me as odd as there's still wave 4 of the Club Grayskull to come that's well overdue and of course the Stout/´87 movie line.

Apparently official updates will come for those via email next Friday after someone reached out to Brian.

I think Pixel Dan got confirmation from Brian Flynn that Super7 had not lost their license to make MOTU figures, but that their vintage 5.5 line was discontinued. It sounded like their MOTU ReAction figures, as well as possibly Club Grayskull and Collector’s Choice may continue, but that when they get released was at least, in part, dependent upon what Mattel is doing. Apparently they have to move their release schedule around, so it doesn’t conflict with Mattel’s. At least, I that’s how I understood it, from that video walkthrough with Pixel Dan. I think the part about the 5.5 inch Super7 line being dead, was from a tweet that he sent out later, after the interview.

The regular Club Grayskull figures come in the window boxes, however the Ultimates for both Classics (aka Collector’s Choice) and Club Grayskull all have been packaged in the vintage style packages.

You’re right, the shininess of the plastic seems to still be an issue. It’s something that they’ve received multiple complaints over. I think in one of the monthly Q&As, they said that they were working on trying to improve the appearance so it didn’t look as shiny. Seems like they still have some work to do there. It seems most noticeable on characters that are flesh colored, IMO.

Ok sorry i react very very late...
In fact I did not bought Motu since my parents did it for me since the 80’s...
So between Club Grayskull, Collectors choice, Classics, Filmation, Super 7 and Mattel i’m completely lost...:dunno
So if there is a full of charity saoul here to explain me the differences...

Because when I PO this:

I was absolutely certain to receive that:

But I think have understood that Mattel and Super 7 are two totally different companies right?

The new origins line looks terrible. Beastman and Man-At-Arms look like bootlegs with terrible paint and soft sculpting. Such a disappointing start. Why does Beastman have shin cuts? The knees are ball jointed, it adds nothing.

Meanwhile the Mondo Man-At-Arms is a work of art. Each figure reveal gets better and better.

DSCN5676.JPG

DSCN5677.JPG

It’s funny, because both the Mattel and the Mondo prototypes shown have chipping-off green paint over flesh colored skin. Yeah, I know it’s just a prototype, but it’s still funny.

I agree the Origins line isn’t very exciting quality wise, but I’m really excited that these classic characters are going to be in retail stores at $15 price points. Mondo is expensive and a specialty market, but I’m buying those too lol.

I draw the line at the Sideshow MOTU statues though, those are way too much of an investment for me.

Ok sorry i react very very late...
In fact I did not bought Motu since my parents did it for me since the 80’s...
So between Club Grayskull, Collectors choice, Classics, Filmation, Super 7 and Mattel i’m completely lost...:dunno
So if there is a full of charity saoul here to explain me the differences...

Because when I PO this:

I was absolutely certain to receive that:

But I think have understood that Mattel and Super 7 are two totally different companies right?

Correct. Super7 and Mattel are two different companies. Mattel started Classics (in 2008, I believe). After Mattel decided to stop producing Classics, they licensed the line to Super7, a smaller company, probably most famous for their 3.75 ReAction figures. Collector’s Choice is just the name that Super7 uses for Classics (although the figures themselves are still just labeled Classics on the packaging).

Club Grayskull, again started by Mattel and then continued by Super7, refers to the figures that are made to resemble the characters from the Filmation “He-Man and the Masters of the Universe” cartoon.

The two He-Man figures that are pictured in your post are from this line. The one at the top appears to be the one produced by Super7 as part of their Ultimates line. The Ultimates line basically consists of MOTU figures that were originally produced by Mattel but were re-released by Super7 due to fan demand. I believe they’re called Ultimates because they include extra accessories than the original Mattel releases, such as extra interchangeable heads and weapons, so collectors can have the “ultimate” version of the character.

The bottom picture appears to be of the original Mattel release of the figure. Again, it’s essentially the same figure, but the Mattel release has a less shiny finish to the flesh color of the paint. The Super7 version, does however, have more accessories.

Hope that helps. It does get a little confusing.

Thanks a lot for your very complete answer! It’s kind of you.
Ok now I see a little more clearly.
Ok so if the super 7 is quite the same as the original Mattel version, no need to pay the double of the price in the second market to have the original Mattel one?

Thanks a lot for your very complete answer! It’s kind of you.
Ok now I see a little more clearly.
Ok so if the super 7 is quite the same as the original Mattel version, no need to pay the double of the price in the second market to have the original Mattel one?

There's no question to many of us that in the main the Mattel figures are superior. Mattel used a better quality plastic whereas Super 7 have used what appears to be a cheaper and shiny plastic. Super 7 have also had a lot of engineering issues with female figures and the legs looking correct. Also there has been a lot of paint issues with Super 7 - poor applications and many of the figures from Super 7 have had paint chips all over them in the package. I started off colleting the Filmation figures with Mattel but became so annoyed with what Super 7 was giving us that I gave up. I've bought very little from Super 7.

However, taking that particular Filmation He-Man figure on it's own you've pictured and away from the rest of the line there's a couple of things to note. People have said that the Super 7 version is a little bit shiny and the hair piece doesn't sit as well on the head in comparison to the Mattel one. BUT, there was a huge design flaw with the ankles on the original Mattel version. They changed the articulation style on the ankles but messed it up and they look a bit odd. Therefore, people bought both versions and did a bit of mixing and matching of parts.

Thanks a lot for this great analysis.:wink1:
Yeah when we see now the crazy prices for the Mattel version, I think I could be happy with the super 7 for a decent price...

DSCN5676.JPG

DSCN5677.JPG

OMG these are amazing times for MOTU fans and collectors. Just amazing!

Back