Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not as bad as it sounds.

take a look at last year, and remember we got an extra 40% in the LAST DAY due to online retailers placing their fairly massive orders.

9455664292_a1f88273ab_z.jpg

Also, we're more or less "in-step" with where we were last year.

And there's also the very real and likely possibility that today's update was really from Friday's data. If that's so, we're continuing to do better than last year. As of last week, we were.

I gotta say reading some of the comments at the Org arn't very bright....just because Scott is on vacation,doesn't mean the Sub will sell any less.This is year 5 doing the Sub,people know the deal.You're either going to Subscribe or you not going to Subscribe.

and Toyguru does NOT lose his job if the subs do not go through.He will continue with his current brands that he works on already or move on to a new Mattel Brand.MOTU Classics has always been a side project for Toyguru that generates extra sales for Mattel and likely for Scott aswell (he gets bonuses for the sales of MOTU Classics like most manager's do)

I gotta say reading some of the comments at the Org arn't very bright....just because Scott is on vacation,doesn't mean the Sub will sell any less.This is year 5 doing the Sub,people know the deal.You're either going to Subscribe or you not going to Subscribe.

and Toyguru does NOT lose his job if the subs do not go through.He will continue with his current brands that he works on already or move on to a new Mattel Brand.MOTU Classics has always been a side project for Toyguru that generates extra sales for Mattel and likely for Scott aswell (he gets bonuses for the sales of MOTU Classics like most manager's do)

Yeah, I don't know. I don't sympathize much with those who assume everyone is exactly the same as themselves. This is NOT year 5 for me. This is the very first year I've been able to sub at the beginning. It's not year 5. And there are thousands of people out there like me who have only just - or even not yet - learned about the line.

We don't all know the deal.

This is the most important week of the whole year for DCIE, Matty, and the Ecto-1. If Guru isn't needed in the office this week, when is he? And he's a salesman. He's in sales. He could spend those hours finding ways to sell the subs, especially as it looks like at least 2 of 3 of the subs are about to fail.....

If I were him, I'd be at work and doing everything in my power to dream up new ways to sell some subs.

The real push happens at SDCC when Mattel has more eyes on them and more free press than at any other time for the Matty Collector lines. Give the dude a break for wanting to spend time with his family on vacation. People have had weeks to make up their mind. It's time to **** or get off the pot :impatient:

The real push happens at SDCC when Mattel has more eyes on them and more free press than at any other time for the Matty Collector lines. Give the dude a break for wanting to spend time with his family on vacation. People have had weeks to make up their mind. It's time to **** or get off the pot :impatient:

Most potential customers have still never heard of the line. I had no idea it existed until I saw the CG pre-order thread 9 months ago. Even having a small booth at SDCC is incredibly niche.

Yeah, I don't know. I don't sympathize much with those who assume everyone is exactly the same as themselves. This is NOT year 5 for me. This is the very first year I've been able to sub at the beginning. It's not year 5. And there are thousands of people out there like me who have only just - or even not yet - learned about the line.

We don't all know the deal.

This is the most important week of the whole year for DCIE, Matty, and the Ecto-1. If Guru isn't needed in the office this week, when is he? And he's a salesman. He's in sales. He could spend those hours finding ways to sell the subs, especially as it looks like at least 2 of 3 of the subs are about to fail.....

If I were him, I'd be at work and doing everything in my power to dream up new ways to sell some subs.

He has already done his job! whether you have been in this line for 5 years or for just 2 months,you are either going to Subscribe or your not going to Subscribe..

The cards have been laid out (like every year) and have been laid out even more in the past week with 3-4 Toy podcasts he has done....There is nothing more Scott can do with his limited resources to sell the Sub for 2014

so procastinators,either Sub or we don't get a Sub for 2014- simple as that

Most potential customers have still never heard of the line. I had no idea it existed until I saw the CG pre-order thread 9 months ago. Even having a small booth at SDCC is incredibly niche.

not true....new customers coming in is a VERY LOW number...most people who are buying this line are the same people who supported the line since the beginning

Gotta agree there... I don't know why some fans have this "notion" that the line needs new customers... if you're a MOTU fan and haven't heard of this line by now, then you're not really a MOTU fan... ;)

If the line ends, it ends... I'm not going to sweat it... it sucks, but it's the reality of toy-collecting. Toy lines cannot go with the same scheme forever... even brands like Star Wars, Transformers and G.I. Joe need to die and be reborn... so as cool as having ALL the vintage characters plus FILMATION, NA, POP, 200x and MOTU Movie in Classics style, the reality is, it won't happen.

It was a long shot and I say we're lucky... lots of other toylines don't last this long.

One of the biggest problems for any Toy line like MOTU Classics is competition from other toy line(s)....

So many Toy retailers are competing for Collector's dollars,there is so MANY Collector's lines to choose from and newer figures/items constantly coming into the market,though Collector's dollars can only stretch so far.....as an example, it doesn't help when Hasbro is putting out such things like the Starwars 6" Black Series which ALOT of folks are really happy with and plan on collecting this new line of figures

stopped by the big lots that i previously purchased my other motu figures. they had gotten a restock and had 3 orko, 2 faceless one, and 5 moss man on the shelf. from the ghostbusters line they also had 2 ray in lab coat.

If the line ends, it ends... I'm not going to sweat it... it sucks, but it's the reality of toy-collecting. Toy lines cannot go with the same scheme forever... even brands like Star Wars, Transformers and G.I. Joe need to die and be reborn... so as cool as having ALL the vintage characters plus FILMATION, NA, POP, 200x and MOTU Movie in Classics style, the reality is, it won't happen.

It was a long shot and I say we're lucky... lots of other toylines don't last this long.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a long shot if attempts were made
to complete at the very least the entire vintage and POP collection.
Its actually fairly achievable if you maximize figure slots in a 24 month plan
to complete the line. Although their original intentions to have
"roadmap" spanning 2017 and beyond was totally unrealistic.
Still with a revised selection and a finish line in sight it would be
most unfortunate if this line ends without factions completed.

not true....new customers coming in is a VERY LOW number...most people who are buying this line are the same people who supported the line since the beginning

Yes, this is what happens when you don't advertise. They get very few new customers, which backs up my earlier claim that most potential haven't heard of the line yet.

Yes, I'm sure everyone at Matty work very hard. But you talk about his job as if it were finished. The job is ongoing, and this is the final week to sell subs. I don't accept that everything which could be done has been done.

Gotta agree there... I don't know why some fans have this "notion" that the line needs new customers... if you're a MOTU fan and haven't heard of this line by now, then you're not really a MOTU fan... ;)

I don't think elitism helps anyone. Looking down at customers doesn't make us big or them little. The fact remains that most people who would consider subbing in have still never heard of the line. Whether they're "cool" enough or "hardcore" enough to deserve the line shouldn't matter.

One of the biggest problems for any Toy line like MOTU Classics is competition from other toy line(s)....

So many Toy retailers are competing for Collector's dollars,there is so MANY Collector's lines to choose from and newer figures/items constantly coming into the market,though Collector's dollars can only stretch so far.....as an example, it doesn't help when Hasbro is putting out such things like the Starwars 6" Black Series which A LOT of folks are really happy with and plan on collecting this new line of figures

This is a very real problem. I'm getting stretched to the breaking point right now myself!

I don't think elitism helps anyone. Looking down at customers doesn't make us big or them little. The fact remains that most people who would consider subbing in have still never heard of the line. Whether they're "cool" enough or "hardcore" enough to deserve the line shouldn't matter.

That's a fact? Can you please, share more info on your "Potential Fans of MOTU Classic" study? :D

The advertising and promoting ship for of this line is long gone...
Who the hell will want to start collecting with a sub of mostly C and D listers? :dunno

That's a fact? Can you please, share more info on your "Potential Fans of MOTU Classic" study? :D

Who the hell will want to start collecting with a sub of mostly C and D listers? :dunno

yup!...."new collector's" are going to be looking for He-man,Battle Cat and skeletor etc....the new collector is not going to invest $500 for a bunch of characters that they don't really know or care about.

I'd never heard of the line until November 2012. Keep in mind, I'm a 30 plus year comic book collector with a tonne of figures. Where on Earth would I have heard of them? I don't go to cons. I don't read toy catalogs. I just mostly bought what showed up in comicbook shops. I discovered HT and SS a few years back, but that started with seeing Sideshow figures in comicbook shops, something I've never done with a MOTUC figure.... So, people like me. If there are any other collectors like me, they have almost certainly never heard of this line.

IMO if they want the line to survive past 2015, they need to get some figures in comicbook shops.

Last edited:
yup!...."new collector's" are going to be looking for He-man,Battle Cat and skeletor etc....the new collector is not going to invest $500 for a bunch of characters that they don't really know or care about.

I just did.

Back