Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't worry too much about how much it shrinks, what you'll want to watch out for is it crumbling around the edges. I haven't used crayola clay before, but I know some people who have, done right it turns out great, looks like you've got a good start just keep an eye on the thinner areas.

It's pretty thick all around as per the instructions. Sort of the opposite of what clay normally suggests. It's 8 hours in and good. I'm not even going to try moving it or anything until it's set for a good 24 hours. Might even wait the full three days.

It's pretty thick all around as per the instructions. Sort of the opposite of what clay normally suggests. It's 8 hours in and good. I'm not even going to try moving it or anything until it's set for a good 24 hours. Might even wait the full three days.

after a full day you're probably good.

Well the directions say to wait a full three days for painting. I kind of want to wait on the figure stands to show up before doing anything anyway as I want to mimic however those are painted.

Damnit, there are some cracks forming. Hopefully they don't get too bad by the time it cures as I can fix them. They're fairly minor atm.

4H made a facebook statement yesterday....

Workin late on two more MotU Classics figures at once! Both very classic characters. One of those never seen in figure form before!

Who could they be? Hopefully they'll be revealed at SDCC...

Fingers crossed...

Evil Seed!!! and Ram Man!!

Damnit, there are some cracks forming. Hopefully they don't get too bad by the time it cures as I can fix them. They're fairly minor atm.

If you have to do it again or make a second place a piece of screen (screen door type) or some type of criss cross pattern it the center. I'll help strenghten it and help it from cracking so bad. It's whats done in concrete work.

You should of made a mold and poured in some resin, that ____ won't crack unless you get really angry and throw it against the wall.

Then you could also sell it here as an accessory if you need some spare change.

maybe you could use small amounts of clay to fill in the cracks.

It'll work for now but in time it's still kind of brittle but a quick fix.

I don't do mold-making or sell anything I make. It's stupid but this is my hobby and I have a rule about my hobby not being a job. My old hobby (design and illustration) is my job now so I need a real hobby. I'd also need to sculpt it out of something to begin with to make the mold.

The cracks so far are very very small. I'm also going to be making a base for the base out of Apoxie. I had planned on using more of the airdry clay to have sort of piles of sand and smaller rocks around the edge of it where it meets the ground. I have reservations about the airdry clay stilling to itself once dry. Also the Apoxie will make a nearly indestructible and very stable platform for it. I didn't use Apoxie to begin with as this is so large it would too damn expensive to do the whole thing in Apoxie. Just doing a light skip coat of Apoxie over some sort of substrait and then some minor sculpting around the edges will be a pretty small amount of the stuff.

I would really like something that's this easy to work with, inexpensive, and doesn't require oven curing. So I'm hoping this works. I could have tons of applications for it.

You should of made a mold and poured in some resin, that ____ won't crack unless you get really angry and throw it against the wall.

hulk-bear_1292446390.gif

Then you could also sell it here as an accessory if you need some spare change.

It'll work for now but in time it's still kind of brittle but a quick fix.

I was wondering if that would be a problem. I now with clay you can thin it with water and use that, didn't know about the crayola stuff.

So latest update on the stand. It's now been well over 24 hours and it appears to be mostly try. Some minor cracks did appear but on investigation these appeared where the clay was way too thin. 1/16-1/32" or less. Where it broke up the worst was on a corner that was paper thin. So I cleaned out any loose pieces and patched the cracks where needed with Apoxie. Some cases the cracks didn't need patching, just a bit of carving to smooth out the sharp edges. In one particular case the crack worked out really well. Made a very realistic natural crack I wouldn't have been able to sculpt myself.

Will post more pics once I do the sand/dirt/rocks around the base of the ledge sculpting.

So latest update on the stand. It's now been well over 24 hours and it appears to be mostly try. Some minor cracks did appear but on investigation these appeared where the clay was way too thin. 1/16-1/32" or less. Where it broke up the worst was on a corner that was paper thin. So I cleaned out any loose pieces and patched the cracks where needed with Apoxie. Some cases the cracks didn't need patching, just a bit of carving to smooth out the sharp edges. In one particular case the crack worked out really well. Made a very realistic natural crack I wouldn't have been able to sculpt myself.

Will post more pics once I do the sand/dirt/rocks around the base of the ledge sculpting.
that's alright. lessons learned. i'm sure it will turn out great in the end. or your next attempt will be better.

I do have a question in finishing on this. What do you guys thing color wise? Gray, brown, what I think of as "Castle Greyskull green". Hell maybe even purple.

I do have a question in finishing on this. What do you guys thing color wise? Gray, brown, what I think of as "Castle Greyskull green". Hell maybe even purple.

Go for a purplish tone if your going to display it with Panthor and Skeletor. It would have that nice Snake Mountain vibe.

I wish I could say, mine is still in Nevada. It hasn't moved since Thursday according to the tracking.

Back