Mass Effect 3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm content with them not changing the story of the endings (even though they hardly differ), it was the abruptness that really bothered me. We've played this game for 5 years, become so invested in the characters we've travelled with along the way, forced to make a galaxy-changing decision at the end, and then - cut to credits.

Huh? What are the repercussions of my decision? How did my squadmates fare in the final battle? Can everyone in the armada go home?
The final shot of the Normandy crashing on some random planet was a really lazy and incomplete way to end such a massive series.

Here's hoping the extra scenes add some resolution that I feel is lacking.

Doesn't that new movie about the prison in space (sorry I forget the name) remind you of purgatory in ME2?? That's the only reason the movie interest me :lol

I guess I am okay with this solution. Some closure, for free, is better than what we have now. However, I would love Bioware to get rid of the synthesis ending...something about fusing the DNA of synthetics and organics is wack - then having Joker and EDI portray some Adam and Eve scenario in green was unoriginal, to say the least.

Doesn't look like the Bioware PAX East panel will be streamed. :( Oh well.

Anyway, new multiplayer announcement:

Mass Effect 3: Resurgence Multiplayer Expansion (free)

New races (Geth and Batarian), new classes for certain races, new maps, new weapons, new consumables.

[ame]https://youtu.be/BasebmHiqIo[/ame]

Doesn't look like the Bioware PAX East panel will be streamed. :( Oh well.

Anyway, new multiplayer announcement:

Mass Effect 3: Resurgence Multiplayer Expansion (free)

New races (Geth and Batarian), new classes for certain races, new maps, new weapons, new consumables.

https://youtu.be/BasebmHiqIo

I am very impressed with this. Having the Geth and Batarians as playable races is cool and in line with the ME3 story - but why anybody would want to be a Batarian is beyond me lol. Maybe we might get some mercenary forces and male quarians in the future. Maps seem good.

Anyway, I have been experiencing glitches and lag lately. Hopefully Bioware seeks to improve the mechanics, like adding chat boxes, like they are with the gameplay! :clap

I'm still enjoying the multiplayer so I'm really looking forward to the new playable characters and maps. The only thing missing is a new group of enemies.

Will be interested to see how the endings 'clarify' everything.
I'll enjoy seeing epilogue clips showing the result of your decisions ....but not sure how they're going to explain sticking points like the mass effect relay explosions.

This is about as good as could be expected. BioWare caving and changing the ending entirely simply because of fan outcry would have set a terrible precedent, IMHO. This is an acceptable compromise.

No, it would have been fine if they did.

The ending is terrible, in each and every respect. It does not fit the game in any way.

Still pissed that Harvinger doesnt do jack ____ in this game. It's like a Jurassic Park movie where everyone mentions the T-Rex but you never see it... Or hear it for that matter, just people chatting casually about it.

Stupid game.

Changing the god-child into Harvinger would probably have been a good idea. Would keep the ending basically the same, without adding some stupid new character that makes jack-____ sense.

Will be interested to see how the endings 'clarify' everything.
I'll enjoy seeing epilogue clips showing the result of your decisions ....but not sure how they're going to explain sticking points like the mass effect relay explosions.

I think the ending is fine--as A ending, but they need some more different endings, they put a big emphasis on trying to get as many people working for you as possible, and choosing between groups, but it doesn't hardly matter for the ending.

And then there's the continuity issues--what it actually means if the relays are destroyed, and how did some characters get on the Normandy who were on Earth at the time

Part of my concern is that you don't know what happens with almost all of your crew members.

For the relays, I heard some guys explain that it was like a controlled implosion of a building versus hitting it with a bomb, like what happened in The Arrival. The relays propbably had a self-destruct that limited the amount of damage done to the surrounding space. Smashing one with an astroid would cause an uncontrolled explosion which is why it could wipe out an entire system. That's how they guessed it probably worked and it actually does make some sense.

For the relays, I heard some guys explain that it was like a controlled implosion of a building versus hitting it with a bomb, like what happened in The Arrival. The relays propbably had a self-destruct that limited the amount of damage done to the surrounding space. Smashing one with an astroid would cause an uncontrolled explosion which is why it could wipe out an entire system. That's how they guessed it probably worked and it actually does make some sense.

Except, there's the shot where the camera views the whole galaxy and you can see the blasts are very big.

I'm not hard to please. I'll take that answer or some variation of it.

Except, there's the shot where the camera views the whole galaxy and you can see the blasts are very big.

Shhhh quiet you :rotfl:rotfl

An attendee of PAX East got a chance to interview Patrick Weekes, one of the core writers of the ME series, a lot of questions about the game. He posted it over on the Something Awful forums:

Lot's of significant info in here:

Okay, here is what I asked Patrick Weekes, and his answers as best as I can remember them. I've paraphrased but I'm doing my best to stick to what he said rather than introduce any interpretation.

THESE ARE NOT DIRECT QUOTES.

-Is there still a setting to explore after the ending? Is everything ruined?

The setting is definitely not ruined. We still have a big, lively galaxy.

-Will long-distance superluminal travel still be possible post-Ending? (will Tali or Wrex or Garrus see their homeworlds again? Will everyone starve?)

Galactic civilization will rebuild. The mass relays were not necessary for interstellar flight. Remember, what does it say in the Codex about the speed of ships? That's right, 12 lightyears per (day? hour? minute?). And that's only the cruising speed, not the maximum speed.

People have never needed to research basic FTL improvements before because they have mass relays. With the relays gone, new technology will increase that speed. Additionally, the element zero cores of the dead/controlled Reapers can be used to improve FTL drives. :siren:Starflight will continue using conventional FTL.:siren:

-Why did Joker leave Shep behind?

Joker would never abandon Shep without a good reason. Hopefully this will be clear in the Expanded Cut.

-Why can EDI survive the Destroy ending?

We argued a lot about this, I said that she was made of Reapertech and should therefore be destroyed, but (unclear, don't remember - wish I'd been able to ask a followup as his response doesn't make much sense)

-Did anyone on the Citadel survive?

Yes. We would never, ever do anything that made the player feel, on replay, that it would be better for everyone on the Citadel if they just died. The Citadel has emergency shelters and kinetic barriers - even if it blows up, millions might survive. :siren: You should assume that everyone plot-important on the Citadel survived. :siren:

-Is it better for Kelly Chambers if we talk her into suicide?

No, see above.

-Who wrote the death of Joker's sister?

I did! We intentionally did not connect the dots. We were very interested to see how fast gamers figured it out.

-Whose idea was it to make the Rayya fall out of the sky if you destroy the Quarian fleet?

Someone in the audio department, it was brilliant.

-Did the mass relays pull an Arrival and go supernova?

No, they didn't. (i'm paraphrasing here, please don't interpret this too hard) They overloaded, they didn't rupture. :siren:We really didn't mean to imply that the whole galaxy had been destroyed. People interpreted the ending in ways we really didn't expect. :siren:

(Mr. Weekes dropped a lot of hints that he really didn't like the ending. He also said something that was almost 100% verbatim from the Penny Arcade Forum post often attributed to him)

-Why did Legion pull a 180 from his Mass Effect 2 philosophy?

He and the Geth were backed into a corner. They'd been made a lot dumber by the attack on the Dyson swarm. There was no other choice for Geth survival.

-What was up with the Rachni story? Why did we get railroaded?

Welcome to game development. In some games (Alpha Protocol) they make a bold choice where some decisions can knock entire missions out of the story. At BioWare, we never want people to be locked out of content due to a decision several games ago. We just didn't have the resources to do an alternate for the Rachni mission, so we decided that the Rachni mission could occur whether or not players saved the Queen.

-Why didn't (X squadmate from ME2) return?

There was a very ugly month of development where we fought out who would return. We knew we had to have a smaller cast so we could fit in more squad banter. Eventually we decided to bring Garrus and Tali back, so they could be squadmates in all three games. We also knew we'd have Vega in order for new players to have someone dumber than they were.

I was very resentful of Vega at first because I thought he was taking a slot that could've gone to a ME2 character, but he grew on me.

-Why did EDI have a camel t.oe?

We don't get a lot of feedback from the art department but (unclear, wish I remembered this better :( )

Lots of discussion about how he was uncomfortable doing Pinocchio stories for both Legion and EDI because 'EDI was fine, she was an AI, she was cool - do we really need her to turn into Commander Data? We had seven seasons of Data, that was enough.'

-Why did you write Pinocchio stories for all the synthetic characters?

See above

-What was up with the Human Reaper in ME2? Why did it look so dumb?

We wanted to use the Suicide Mission to show several steps of the Reaper development process, from human reaper embryo all the way to cuttlefish. But the mission grew too complicated so it was cut for time.

Do the Reapers really only generate one capital ship per cycle? How do they ever break even?

Well, we never totally pinned that down. But this cycle was really anomalous. They don't normally take any capital-size Reaper losses at all.

-What was up with Kai Leng? How do you feel about him?

We really wanted to have a recurring antagonist for Shep, a 'Darth Maul' (his words). But I feel like there was some definite conflict between cutscene and gameplay there, and I think it's something we have to work on.

'He was a great antagonist in the books' :lol:

-Why did we only get top and bottom dialogue choices, no middle?

Part of it was resources. Part of it is that Mass Effect 3 is a war story and it's really hard for Shep to feel middling about the Reapers.

-How did YOU feel about the ending?

(I didn't ask this, but he seems to have gone to GREAT lengths to think ways around a lot of stuff the ending implied.)

Why no female (alien X?)

Resource limitations. They have a very strict budget for how many different characters they can use in a given area. Some are basically free - if you have human males you have Batarians because they're humans with funny heads, if you have human females you have asari, etc.

Where was Harbinger? Can we ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL of him?

I definitely want more closure on Harbinger. That'd be hilarious. Stop punching yourself, Harbinger.

How did the Reapers storm the Citadel? Why didn't they shut down the relays as per their original plan once they had control?

Originally we planned to have a cutscene of Reapers taking over, Reaper monsters punching buttons, et cetera. But we cut it, partially for resource reasons and partly because it disrupted the pacing.

The Reapers didn't shut down the mass relays because the Keepers interfered with that. (I wish I could've asked a follow-up here, it doesn't make much sense.)

Why don't Ken and Gabby have more dialogue?

They actually have a bunch more on disk, but we somehow introduced a bug where their dialogue is tied to your approval level with Ash. If Ash has low approval, or isn't present, most of Ken and Gabby's dialogue won't play.

Why do you guys do Star Wars style space battles instead of the battles described in the codex?

We want to provide a familiar, compelling visual experience for people who grew up on Star Wars and stuff like that. These are some of our favorite parts of the game.

Why didn't we get a bunch of different cinematics showing off our various forces fighting in the ending?

Resource and time constraints. It would've been awesome, but we just don't have the resources to create the Volus bombing fleet, the Volus dreadnought Compensator (he actually said this), etc.

-----------

Things I wish I'd asked:

Why the damn Starchild?

What was up with the Stargazer? (He touched on the Stargazer once and pretty much said 'oh, yeah, the Stargazer.'

Again: NOT DIRECT QUOTES. These are NOT OFFICIAL BIOWARE STATEMENTS. Please don't ____ Patrick Weekes over by posting these as 'official BioWare PR' or whatever. Please feel free to ask me follow-up questions, as I definitely didn't cover the whole conversation with him.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=738#post402359506

A lot of it must be taken with a grain of salt, because none of it has been corroborated by any of the other writers on the ME team. Weekes was mainly responsible for writing the arcs of many of ME's characters, if we are to believe his alleged statement a few weeks ago about the ending of ME3 being constructed solely in the hands of lead writer Mac Walters and Casey Hudson, then we can't know if any of the above information was intended by the entire team or just Weeke's own ideas.

gotta wonder if Weekes is covering for Hudson and Walters' asses with stuff he made up just to salve the aching hearts of fans. The stuff about FTL space travel post-relay destruction and the fate of the Citadel, was all of it brainstormed during this past month, in reaction to the backlash? It's too optimistic; it works out too well. If it's all backed up by lore, then why haven't hardcore fans mentioned it before?

I'm currently replaying ME1, and I'm pretty sure it's made explicit that inter-galactic travel without mass relays can take decades or even centuries. It sounds like the team, or just Weeke's himself, are backpedaling, retconning.

But I'll wait until I've seen the Extended Cut to judge fully.

Sounds like a lot of crap excuses written in hindsight, and a rush for a release date when it clearly wasn't ready.

Yep, after reading that the only thing I got from it was that a lot of stuff was cut from the game. If the mass relays didn't blow up though and systems didn't get destroyed, that's a plus.

This is funny!

The World Reacts to the Mass Effect 3 Ending:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_H3uWLW3N4&feature=related[/ame]

Back