Marvel Studios: Wonder Man Series (Disney+)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh boy, it's Wonder Man, my favourite Z-Lister! I can't wait to see him interact with characters I've always liked more, such as Vision and Beast an- W-WHAT?! He's been... R-RACEBENT?! OH NO! I'm off to be publicly outraged and do Disney's marketing for fre-

It's Wonder Man. Wonder Man.

1506756335802.png

(I mostly made a post solely to use this pic tbqhwy)

Sure. Go ahead. Keep spamming unnecessary Z-Listers and bloat the brand while the X-Men will debut in 2027 and Doom is getting all of his stories stolen from him. Wonder Man, Echo, that's the stuff we really need...

I'm honestly more interested to see if and how they're gonna use Grim Reaper.

marvel-grim-reaper-valkyrie-1188524.jpeg

Oh boy, it's Wonder Man, my favourite Z-Lister! I can't wait to see him interact with characters I've always liked more, such as Vision and Beast an- W-WHAT?! He's been... R-RACEBENT?! OH NO! I'm off to be publicly outraged and do Disney's marketing for fre-

It's Wonder Man. Wonder Man.

1506756335802.png

(I mostly made a post solely to use this pic tbqhwy)

Sure. Go ahead. Keep spamming unnecessary Z-Listers and bloat the brand while the X-Men will debut in 2027 and Doom is getting all of his stories stolen from him. Wonder Man, Echo, that's the stuff we really need...

I'm honestly more interested to see if and how they're gonna use Grim Reaper.

marvel-grim-reaper-valkyrie-1188524.jpeg
R.gif
I thought this is wonder woman

Let’s racebend a no name character but not recast an iconic black role . We are so progressive!

I’m up on my marvel hero’s

I have no idea who Wonder Man is
He's been around for decades, but has always had limited appeal. I remember seeing him in the Marvel Team Up series from the 70s and 80s, but unsure which decade.

I thought this is wonder woman
Wonder Man & Wonder Woman is like Power Girl & Power Man; same-y names from rival companies.

He's been around for decades but I legitimately don't know a single person who ever went "Hell yeah, Wonder Man". I like several Z-Listers myself, but Wonder Man is both entirely bland and he has no good costumes/aesthetics. His friendship with Beast and how he factors in the Wanda/Vision relationship is all he's got to offer. His brother, the Grim Reaper, has more going for him and he's an "oh yeah, it's this guy" type of villain.

Absolutely baffling that this is getting a series. But sure, yeah, go ahead, make us wait a decade for the X-Men...

Absolutely baffling that this is getting a series. But sure, yeah, go ahead, make us wait a decade for the X-Men...
Follow the money? :unsure:

I don't know how licensing and royalties work between Marvel Comics and Disney ... no idea who owns who at this point, but could it be that these no-name spandex jockey's are padding profits? I assume there are a bunch of kids and hardcore fans who'll watch/buy anything branded Marvel, just like Star Wars fans ... other than that I can't imagine why they'd bother.

Follow the money? :unsure:

I don't know how licensing and royalties work between Marvel Comics and Disney ... no idea who owns who at this point, but could it be that these no-name spandex jockey's are padding profits? I assume there are a bunch of kids and hardcore fans who'll watch/buy anything branded Marvel, just like Star Wars fans ... other than that I can't imagine why they'd bother.
They just think they can milk the entire non-X/FF-Verse before getting into them. X-Men is basically its own Universe. You've got all those rosters and even the basic journey of Cyclops to Rightclops would need years and years, not to mention the various "radically different setting" eras such as Utopia and Krakoa. Add things like X-Factor and X-Force in-between, Starjammers and Excalibur for the new GotG properties, some solo flicks for Wolverine, some D+ series for Gen X/New X-Men/etc and popular but not big screen level X-Members like Storm and Nightcralwer, and you can easily fill another decade+. The problem is that they are all too small now. They're doing a Multiversal Collapse. There's literally nowhere higher to go. Who'll give a **** about the X-Men battling Apocalypse, who's just one more strong mutant, when the Avengers have already beaten Kang, who's Apocalypse on steroids and is literally the reason Apocalypse even is a thing? They could bring in the Celestials, but apart from them and the Phoenix in a quasi-AvX adaptation, there's nothing else in the X-Verse that compares with the Avengers Event Flicks such as the Infinity & Secret Wars adaptations. It's a big corner of the MU, and it's broken power-level wise with people like Legion, but the actual stories never reach the "OH NO THE UNIVERSAL COMBUSTION MACHINE HAS BROKEN DUE TO THE ULTRAMIRROR BEING FRAGMENTED AND WE NEED THE 7 WISHING COINS TO PREVENT THE OMNIVERSAL OUROBOROS" level. There's Captain Britain, but I doubt Brian will be getting his time to shine, and we'll instead get the current dreck that is Betsy as Captain Britain.

The only way I can see this working out is them using the basic Multiverse stuff now, but keeping the Beyonder(s)/Abstracts for later, so Clown Kang gets the Doctor Who style event, and then the next decade, after they've done the Phoenix, Annihilation, Galactus, etc, Doom goes ham and you've got Multiversal Abstracts shutting down reality or something. Then again they did use Infinity as a nothing character/being in Thor 4, so who knows. Annihilation could be the next Event flick, headed by the FF and bringing together Nova, whatever GotG team exists, and the Space-X stuff such as the Shi'ar and so on. Do Ewing's Ultimates somewhere in there to add to the Cosmic lore. Then start seeding the Beyonder(s), do some Omniversal worldbuilding with Captain Britain, and then have Doom go after not just multiversal conquest, but complete and utter Godhood. Go crazy with the Living Tribunal and the In-Betweener and all that. Go past sci-fi mumbo jumbo and reach the level where magic and sci-fi merge. Hickman's already working on his new Marvel book which he described as Marvel's Sandman, so they're probably already paying him for the concept as their next MCU event.

Anyway, there were some articles that there were contracts in place so if the MCU wanted to use any of the X-Men, they'd have to use the FoX-Verse actors instead of recasting, and the story went that those were valid until 2026. That was later debunked. Still, this nonsense is absolutely killing the brand. None of this nonsense is needed. You're working up to Clown Kang being the big bad of two flicks? Fine, do it, don't waste time with goddamn Wonder Man and Agatha when you're building up to the Multiversal Incursions. Get to working on Doctor Strange 3, a Scarlet Witch solo, whatever moves the story forward. But no, we've got to have Echo and Wonder Man... It's not as if we need a new MCU thing every month. This is oversaturation.

Whatever, I can't even imagine who's watching these things at this poing. I only check something out if (an inferior iteration of) one of my favourites shows up. And even then I'm not too eager. I watched a leaked camprip of DS2 and I have no intention of watching it properly. Same with NWH. I didn't watch a single episode of She-Hulk or Ms Marvel. I'll only catch Agatha if Mephisto shows up, now that they cast Sacha Baron Cohen. I'll probably watch Ironheart for the Zeke Stane & Mephisto bits. But it's all so utterly boring, devoid of any planning or intrigue at this point. They're just killing time because they want to exhaust all possible options until they get to milking the X-Men.

God, I'll still be buying dolls in the 2030s, and then I'll be going back to replace the old dolls and... Christ, why couldn't they have just done Doom now that so I could've gotten out by 2026 or so...

God, I'll still be buying dolls in the 2030s, and then I'll be going back to replace the old dolls and... Christ, why couldn't they have just done Doom now that so I could've gotten out by 2026 or so...
LOL ... just get out now! Save yourself!

They just think they can milk the entire non-X/FF-Verse before getting into them. X-Men is basically its own Universe. You've got all those rosters and even the basic journey of Cyclops to Rightclops would need years and years, not to mention the various "radically different setting" eras such as Utopia and Krakoa. Add things like X-Factor and X-Force in-between, Starjammers and Excalibur for the new GotG properties, some solo flicks for Wolverine, some D+ series for Gen X/New X-Men/etc and popular but not big screen level X-Members like Storm and Nightcralwer, and you can easily fill another decade+. The problem is that they are all too small now. They're doing a Multiversal Collapse. There's literally nowhere higher to go. Who'll give a **** about the X-Men battling Apocalypse, who's just one more strong mutant, when the Avengers have already beaten Kang, who's Apocalypse on steroids and is literally the reason Apocalypse even is a thing? They could bring in the Celestials, but apart from them and the Phoenix in a quasi-AvX adaptation, there's nothing else in the X-Verse that compares with the Avengers Event Flicks such as the Infinity & Secret Wars adaptations. It's a big corner of the MU, and it's broken power-level wise with people like Legion, but the actual stories never reach the "OH NO THE UNIVERSAL COMBUSTION MACHINE HAS BROKEN DUE TO THE ULTRAMIRROR BEING FRAGMENTED AND WE NEED THE 7 WISHING COINS TO PREVENT THE OMNIVERSAL OUROBOROS" level. There's Captain Britain, but I doubt Brian will be getting his time to shine, and we'll instead get the current dreck that is Betsy as Captain Britain.

The only way I can see this working out is them using the basic Multiverse stuff now, but keeping the Beyonder(s)/Abstracts for later, so Clown Kang gets the Doctor Who style event, and then the next decade, after they've done the Phoenix, Annihilation, Galactus, etc, Doom goes ham and you've got Multiversal Abstracts shutting down reality or something. Then again they did use Infinity as a nothing character/being in Thor 4, so who knows. Annihilation could be the next Event flick, headed by the FF and bringing together Nova, whatever GotG team exists, and the Space-X stuff such as the Shi'ar and so on. Do Ewing's Ultimates somewhere in there to add to the Cosmic lore. Then start seeding the Beyonder(s), do some Omniversal worldbuilding with Captain Britain, and then have Doom go after not just multiversal conquest, but complete and utter Godhood. Go crazy with the Living Tribunal and the In-Betweener and all that. Go past sci-fi mumbo jumbo and reach the level where magic and sci-fi merge. Hickman's already working on his new Marvel book which he described as Marvel's Sandman, so they're probably already paying him for the concept as their next MCU event.

Anyway, there were some articles that there were contracts in place so if the MCU wanted to use any of the X-Men, they'd have to use the FoX-Verse actors instead of recasting, and the story went that those were valid until 2026. That was later debunked. Still, this nonsense is absolutely killing the brand. None of this nonsense is needed. You're working up to Clown Kang being the big bad of two flicks? Fine, do it, don't waste time with goddamn Wonder Man and Agatha when you're building up to the Multiversal Incursions. Get to working on Doctor Strange 3, a Scarlet Witch solo, whatever moves the story forward. But no, we've got to have Echo and Wonder Man... It's not as if we need a new MCU thing every month. This is oversaturation.

Whatever, I can't even imagine who's watching these things at this poing. I only check something out if (an inferior iteration of) one of my favourites shows up. And even then I'm not too eager. I watched a leaked camprip of DS2 and I have no intention of watching it properly. Same with NWH. I didn't watch a single episode of She-Hulk or Ms Marvel. I'll only catch Agatha if Mephisto shows up, now that they cast Sacha Baron Cohen. I'll probably watch Ironheart for the Zeke Stane & Mephisto bits. But it's all so utterly boring, devoid of any planning or intrigue at this point. They're just killing time because they want to exhaust all possible options until they get to milking the X-Men.

Based on Phase 4, I'm glad that they haven't done the X-Men. Like you said, it's really its own universe and adding it to the MCU will make the MCU even more congested and overwhelming. They're better off keeping it separate and making a XCU where the only superpowered beings are mutants.

They're better off keeping it separate and making a XCU where the only superpowered beings are mutants.
"Those filthy mutants and their (dangerous) powers... oh wait, they're just like everyone else in the MCU."

They're going to have a hard time selling mutants being the outcasts. People are Hulk and Captain Marvel fans, but mutants...nah. Gotta hate those ones.

I've always liked Wonder Man. He was a pretty important Avenger and West Coast Avenger during my reading years, and had a couple of solo comic runs that I also enjoyed. I was more excited at the prospect that Nathan Fillion or even Bruce Campbell could have been cast, since they could do a hammy movie star really well, but we'll see what happens with this. The MCU seems to be more focused on quantity than quality at this point, so I guess they'll just throw more and more stuff to the wall to see what sticks.

Wonder Man & Wonder Woman is like Power Girl & Power Man; same-y names from rival companies.
I thought this was clever, back in the day.
t5p9rf1b4h321.jpg

LOL ... just get out now! Save yourself!
I can't. What, I'd be left with Kylo Ren, some Iron Men and whatever else, and no Doom, no Thrawn, no ROTS Palpatine, no Magneto? Nah. I can't spend thousands on Omnis and not spend tens of thousands on dollies. It'd hurt the overall vibe of the collection. Sadly, I am a battered housewife.

Based on Phase 4, I'm glad that they haven't done the X-Men. Like you said, it's really its own universe and adding it to the MCU will make the MCU even more congested and overwhelming. They're better off keeping it separate and making a XCU where the only superpowered beings are mutants.
That's out of the question. They're already adding mutants to the MCU and the MCU sells itself on the shared universe aspect. Drop that, and you're getting FoX-Men 2.0 but with better costumes. What would the "mainline" MCU even be then? The FF and space leftovers? They blew their load, they bloated the brand, and they've ruined what people wanted. But have no fear, we've got Wonder Men and Echos for years!

"Those filthy mutants and their (dangerous) powers... oh wait, they're just like everyone else in the MCU."

They're going to have a hard time selling mutants being the outcasts. People are Hulk and Captain Marvel fans, but mutants...nah. Gotta hate those ones.
Hating mutants always made perfect sense. It's just that writers are downright retarded and can't see how an unchecked gene that turns you into either a god or a huge ball with three faces glued to your anus, is an incredibly destructive narrative and one that can't work as an allegory to anything. "Muh freedomz" Jason Giant Cock screamed in defiance as Mary was crying because her daughter was killed in the latest mutant related explosion, when Derek's newfound powers kicked in while he got a boner in class, and he blew up the entire block. "We are the next step of human evolution" Magneto told Beak in the middle of a water shortage because Hydro-Mutant decided on a whim to absorb it all and hold the Earth ransom. "It's a self-hating action to turn your back on your people" said Betsy Braddock, the telepath supermodel, to Daniel-Face-In-His-Stomach-And-No-Dick-But-Puss-Leaking-Sores-In-His-Hands when he was eager to get the cure. But noooooo something something "muh razizm" something something "muh allegory".

X-Men started as a riff on Atomic Age fiction. The tagline was "The Children Of The Atom". Magneto was Mutant Hitler complete with soldiers and an insignia, ranting about Homo Superior. The X-Men worked with the government at times and were congratulated by the populace. The Sentinels were in two stories originally and Trask sacrificed himself to stop one. The "muh Malcolm X/MLK analogues" is pure internet fanfics due to Claremont revisionism and Lee being a salesman who'll spout anything.

And people rightly fear mutants more than the Daredevils and Captain Americas of the world. Mutants can be literally anyone. You wake up on day and you're now a lizardman. Cap's a super-soldier created by the government, Stark's a billionaire supergenius, etc. They're singular cases that can't be (usually) replicated and generalised. Of course we now have 5 of each, but you get the point. The X-Gene can appear anywhere and take whatever form. It's a ticking time bomb. The rest are Government affiliated or are regular vigilantes that are their own can of worms and are hated plenty in their own books. Those have their own pros/cons and then you get into politics, but the point is that that they're different cases. Some guy hates Cap because of X and Y, it's limited to Cap. But the reason why someone would hate Cyclops would be applicable to Angel and Pixie and Glob, and mostly it'd be due to reasons external to each mutant specifically, but applicable to mutants as a whole.

Hell, most people wouldn't even hate Angel, Magneto, whatever. Those would change politics and commerce as we know it. No, everyone would just gang up on telepaths. Imagine a world where anyone can have the ability to know what anyone's thinking. It's not just kindly ol' Professor X, it might be the President, the local gang leader, a serial killer, and so on and so forth. The implications of the X-Verse are horrifying, and writers presenting it as "uhm, sweetie, you're either on the right side of history or you're not" is something that scares me too; either they're too stupid to understand it, or they're such self-inserting egomaniacs who think they'll get to be Magneto and stamp out the "flatscans". Both are horifying thoughts...

X-Men is the most downright legitimately retarded mainstream comicbook. Sadly for me, I like the weird sci-fi stories, powers and hot babes, so I have to torture myself and buy the dolls... At least with the Omnis I can focus on the best, to me, runs, and don't have to buy literally anything and everything. Just a select few from each side of the isle, so to speak.

I've always liked Wonder Man. He was a pretty important Avenger and West Coast Avenger during my reading years, and had a couple of solo comic runs that I also enjoyed. I was more excited at the prospect that Nathan Fillion or even Bruce Campbell could have been cast, since they could do a hammy movie star really well, but we'll see what happens with this. The MCU seems to be more focused on quantity than quality at this point, so I guess they'll just throw more and more stuff to the wall to see what sticks.

I thought this was clever, back in the day.
t5p9rf1b4h321.jpg
Heh, I remember that.

He’s right. They keep pushing these zlist characters as if anybody wants them when they got the xmen back. Stop giving us crap like eternals and Agatha and this. Just give the people what they want. The mcu isn’t going to be a money maker forever . I’m not gonna be a 40 yr old man waiting in line for xmen. I’ll have a family by then lol

He’s right. They keep pushing these zlist characters as if anybody wants them when they got the xmen back. Stop giving us crap like eternals and Agatha and this. Just give the people what they want. The mcu isn’t going to be a money maker forever . I’m not gonna be a 40 yr old man waiting in line for xmen. I’ll have a family by then lol
I no longer engage with the MCU as a whole. The odd thing is a fun way to kill some time, but for the first time since Endgame there are entire series and films I haven't seen and won't bother with. It's cool -- it was fun for a while but '...all good things...' as the saying goes...

Back