Marvel Studios - She Hulk

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel these days you really have to separate out personalities from their work. Lots of my heroes when I was younger turned out to be complete and utter !#%*. Michael Jackson, Ryan Adams, Joss Whedon to name a few. It took me time to come to terms with that and just not worry about it. There’s more important things to worry about lol.

I hear you, and yeah . . . that's great if you CAN do that . . . but some folks are such huge jerks that it takes you out of the viewing/listening experience. I don't need to be reminded of real-world idiocy when trying to relax with a bit of "escapism". The responses on social media and this forum show how it can drag people in.

Case-by-case basis I guess - some people will aggravate us enough to bail on anything they are involved in, others we can just shrug at :)

I struggle with this, as well. In some cases I'm able to put the "real world" aside, but when you're talking about, say, Mel Gibson it's hard. I still find myself able to listen to and enjoy Michael Jackson songs, but if I spent enough time thinking it through that might have to change. Not sure I could ever enjoy the Cosby Show again. . .

With Joss, from what I've read, it seems he was just really tough on people and wanting things his way. I don't read into it that he was a misogynist, but a sometimes less than empathetic hard ass. And if that's true, and that's the criteria for judging an artistic person, then I'm not sure how many directors or even actors I could watch anymore. Christian Bale, Tom Cruise, Quintin Tarantino, Stanley Kubrick, all out the window. But everyone's got their own perspective and tipping point, I'm sure.

I address this issue the same way that I address the "cancel the founding fathers!" debate that popped up a couple years ago. We can praise people for the work they've done, and the contributions they've made to the world while also acknowledging that they were humans with flaws, and therefore not every aspect of thier lives is worth celebrating or emulating. Ultimately it is thier works we really remeber them for. In the same vein, Edgar Allen Poe was a pedophile. Doesn't change the fact that "Alone" is my favorite poem. And what he said actually had real world impact on another human, unlike Ruffalo who just has said expressed some goofy and morally dubious political positions on Twitter. And he certainly isn't alone in the ranks of beloved celebrities who have done so. Unsurprisingly, a life of wealth and worldwide adoration seems to go hand in hand with narcissism, and the associated flaws that develop out of it.

If a person must be a fantastic human being with a spotless personal life to be worthy of reverence, than we are going to find ourselves with a very small list of approved heroes.

Now where it gets complicated for me is when that person is still alive, have left victims, and therefore the people they have hurt are still able to see that person being celebrated on the world stage. For that reason I've found myself uncomfortable watching reruns of The Cosby Show, wheras previously it had been one of my favorite sitcoms.

I am still enjoying the show just fine.

I find it easy to ignore one dumb speech.
It’s the healthy thing to do. Characters grow and evolve. Tony Stark makes a ton of incorrect or unflattering comparisons throughout his hero career. I don’t have to agree with him to still like him as a character.

😐
Spoiler Spoiler:

Meg the stallion seems like she can’t make an appearance anywhere if she’s not shaking her ass. Lol but that end credit scene was very cringe

are people outside of the US supposed to know who this Megan the Horse person is?

I might just be completely out of touch/old... I didn't recognise anybody at a recent Brit Awards here in England (except Ed Sheeran who I know exists but I know nothing about, and HAIM who are excellent).

I laughed out loud multiple times watching this latest episode. Tim Roth telling "Carl" that his time was done during the hearing in which Carl was defending him was freaking hilarious as was "Thor's inspirational speeches are not admissible as evidence in court." :lol

The CGI is still a distracting step down from the first episode but overall it continues to be a fun and funny show.

Yes most of the men in this series are goofballs but half the females (Abomination's "Soul Mates", shapeshifting Elf lady) are depicted as straight up crazy so it isn't totally one-sided.

are people outside of the US supposed to know who this Megan the Horse person is?

I might just be completely out of touch/old... I didn't recognise anybody at a recent Brit Awards here in England (except Ed Sheeran who I know exists but I know nothing about, and HAIM who are excellent).
I'm in the US and I'd never heard of her either. I literally assumed she was a fictional character until her name appeared in the credits.
Megan the Stallion is a singer/rapper.

I only know her because my students like her music. I'm an old fart and don't know a quarter of the new musicians nowadays. :lol

Yeah ... I have two teenage daughters. I can't name any of Megan's music even if I hear it, but I am aware of her name, so I at least knew who they were referring to when she was mentioned/showed up.
I also smiled a bit at the introduction of the Wrecking Crew ... even if they aren't powered up. Yet.

MTS has created a crossover fanbase with China, Japan and Korea through Blackpink and BTS ( They are both huge in international markets)

Put it this way, you could write a 50 page ebook about anything. Like collecting lampshades. And sold it for 20 bucks per copy. And if Blackpink went on their social media and kept saying your ebook was life changing for them and a must read, you'd be an instant millionaire.

Back