Marvel Studios - Echo

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an excellent trailer although traditionally that means the show is awful and the marketing dept are working overtime to get people to watch it. Looks brutal like the Netflix shows. Noticed at the end it’s rated TV-MA. Is that a first for an MCU show?

That is an excellent trailer although traditionally that means the show is awful and the marketing dept are working overtime to get people to watch it. Looks brutal like the Netflix shows. Noticed at the end it’s rated TV-MA. Is that a first for an MCU show?
Yes it is

Certainly better than what I was expecting.

Marvel coming out strong showing off their TVMA rated (equivalent to rated R) Netflix style Kingpin violence.

Wait…5 episodes…disregard lol

There’s hope for DD and Punisher though.

So, where's all the chatter about the newest and greatest Marvel anti-hero?? :dunno

anyone.gif

Did no one binge all 5 episodes last night? :lol

Daredevil Has 98 Seconds Of Screen Time In ‘Echo’

I watched the first episode on my lunch break. It was decent, although half of it was a Hawkeye recap.

And it is Echo, not Daredevil :dunno.

Last edited:
I watched the first episode on my lunch break. It was decent, although half of it was a Hawkeye recap.

And it is Echo, not Daredevil :dunno.
Seriously?

Disney was using Daredevil as the draw to get fans to watch this. They made it seem like he'd be an important part of it. Even hinting that it was the Netflix version of Daredevil which was now part of MCU canon..

Maybe click the link and read the Forbes article.

Seriously?

Disney was using Daredevil as the draw to get fans to watch this. They made it seem like he'd be an important part of it. Even hinting that it was the Netflix version of Daredevil which was now part of MCU canon..

Maybe click the link and read the Forbes article.
Everything we saw of Daredevil pre-release was from the same scene so I didn’t expect any more than we got lol.

Doesn’t matter what the article says if you didn’t have expectations.

I don't think I'll be watching any more Disney Panderverse shows unless they get surprisingly good reviews from people whose opinion I respect. Loki Season 2 was a perfect MCU D+ jumping off point for me.

Yea I’m not watching anymore marvel content unless they include characters I actually care about.
Again I think what really made me sour on the studio and made me look at them sideways was the “Ralph boner” reveal in wandavision. It’s like they treated me and many others viewers as stupid and it blantantly said “yea we can do things like this and you’ll watch it and consume it anyway”

So yea lol

Yea I’m not watching anymore marvel content unless they include characters I actually care about.

LWa72Oz.jpg

I understand, but it still doesn't make me any less nervous about what they might do to my boy Herc (that is, if it's still happening at all).

Again I think what really made me sour on the studio and made me look at them sideways was the “Ralph boner” reveal in wandavision. It’s like they treated me and many others viewers as stupid and it blatantly said “yea we can do things like this and you’ll watch it and consume it anyway”

Yup, that was classic IM3 Mandarin reveal stuff.

Edit: too wordy

I watched the first three eps last night and just watched the final two, so here are some thoughts (edit: apparently a lot of thoughts hah)

(SPOILERS FOR ALL OF ECHO AHEAD):

I quite liked it and enjoyed it overall, I think it's pretty good. It has some expected flaws from a current Marvel production, most notably that it feels choppy in its editing sometimes, like maybe it was messed with by the studio or reshoots or whatever. It's especially egregious in the first episode, where it does almost feel like a rushed and badly-edited Hawkeye recap at times, re-purposing footage for which they didn't film any new interstitial stuff to make it connect. I feel like it would've been better to dedicate a whole couple of episodes to telling that part of the story properly, from Maya's perspective, than try to give us the cliffnotes version which feels bad to those who have seen Hawkeye, and dare I say not overly helpful to those who haven't. I read that originally the show was gonna be six episodes and they cut it down to five, so maybe there was an intention to do that but they worried people would be bored by seeing that stuff again or...Who knows. The final episode has some abrupt or rough editing choices too, and it's a shame that the two bookend episodes, including the climax, get it the worst.

But beneath that, it does feel to me like a good director/showrunner was making something with a vision, something they cared about. The overall pacing, editing issues aside, is pretty good. Visually it's very good, feels pretty 'prestige' tv-y. Both the score and the various needle drops were great. Acting across the board is really good, with the unfortunate exception perhaps of Alaqua Cox herself, who sortof doesn't emote enough or... I dno, sometimes she just feels a bit blank and I end up with this sense that she's just another person in a scene who is kinda just there as well, rather than the protagonist. I don't know how else to explain it. Maybe that's to do with some character choices too, maybe it's a side-effect of the fact that she never speaks aloud (obviously, and then that's on me), but yeah. Everyone else I thought was surprisingly good.

Kingpin is really ******* cool to see again, and the second-to-final scene with him, where he offers the hammer to Maya to beat his head in is especially great hah. It's a testament to the show, too, that I actually wondered whether she might really try it. If you haven't seen Daredevil, then I can only imagine that this stuff falls mostly flat. I can imagine people are going to ridicule the AR signing device thing he gives to Maya and the animated/cgi signing he does, I thought it was weird and cool though (and a nice character beat, that he would do that instead of learning to sign.) Maya's attempt to heal him at the end was a cool choice that I didn't see coming, thematically it works and I'm looking foreward to seeing what that means for the character going forward. Maya's powers in general though need a bit better delineating if not also explanation, IMO. D'nofrio was great in that final section. It's unfortunate that the showdown - the powwow heh - felt a bit anti-climactic in that I woulda liked to Fisk fight more or inflict more damage first... And once Maya 'heals' him, there's another abrupt cut away to him just leaving, which also felt jarring. His response to what she did though was cool. D'nofrio is really bringing it and to me it did feel like the Kingpin from Daredevil.

SPEAKING OF WHICH... hahah, yeah Daredevil's barely in it, which I ultimately expected. Personally on that front I feel satisfied enough getting another little Fisk story, so I'm good. But it sucks that these shows... On the one hand Marvel won't give fans what they are asking for, Daredevil, on the other they're happy to doom a show by pretending that Daredevil is gonna be in it lots but then bait-and-switch people into spending three hours or whatever with Echo hanging out at home. It does a double disservice to Daredevil fans and to the show that they're actually making.

And the anti-Marvel and/or anti-woke, clickbait youtuber brigade are going to feast on the fact that he was barely in it, and pick apart that fight scene (I thought it was pretty damn cool, but i know I'm not as good at picking em apart anatomically as some people are.) They were all already 'predicting' the show being a disgrace and being an utter failure... And there are enough flaws for them to go to town on it, I spose.

But this is not an utter failure. I'm getting tired of the negative discourse around these things and yeah I get it, Marvel have partly brought this on themselves - I hate forced diversity, and I hate when woke stuff gets in the way of proper storytelling, of verisimiltude, of being able to connect with human truth. But at this point I think it's also fair to say that the PRE-reception that the shows and movies get online is unfair and is colouring people's perceptions of the actual material. People wanna hate. And I worry that that is gonna give Marvel all the wrong take-aways. I hope this finds an audience. Maybe I sound mixed on it, but I think I might like this the most out of all the Marvel shows. They just need to learn that they can't just make a show, then remake half of it, then remake half of that, and expect it all to work together great. So it's flawed, but it's also cool and I liked it, I'm excited for Daredevil and wherever Fisk turns up in next but I'd also watch an Echo season 2.

Back