Marvel line: collect and read the comics?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you collect the Marvel line from Sideshow, doe you also buy or read Marvel comics?

• Comics are my religion, and Stan Lee is a god!

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • I pick up a few comics every week.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Well, I read a comic once in a while...

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Comics? I know them guys from the movies. Are there books about them?

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I don't even know these super-heroes, but it's cool to be part of the next hype!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Astonishing X-men, X-Factor and MAX Punisher are the 3 monthlies I pick up religiously from Marvel. Notice how in the practical way of things these books have stayed away from the crossover craze going on.

I prefer GL Corps over the regular GL book.

GL Corps recently made the same mistake that, in my opinion, led to the eventual downfall of all of the Corps's previous incarnations: They did a series of issues that were intended to be funny. It's hard for me to take a title seriously when the writers don't. This is a police force on an intergalactic scale. It's Miami Vice, not Reno 911. They can't be making this sort of play with it. Especially not when the book is so ... well ... green, being less than a year old at this point. It sets a bad precedent.

Thanks to the Marvel line and the current movies (not to mention Monk), I have bought about 100 comics in the last 3 weeks. It seems I am falling back in.

Darkshadowcollectibles said:
Thanks to the Marvel line and the current movies (not to mention Monk), I have bought about 100 comics in the last 3 weeks. It seems I am falling back in.

Thank you, Adam, for making my purchase rate look tame. :D I'll show this to the girlfriend the next time she gawks at a pile of comics I bring home. :eek:

As far as the poll goes I'd have to vote none of the above. I do buy a lot of comics as well as hardcovers compilations and graphic novels, but Stan Lee isn't exactly my god. As a matter of fact I read very little Marvel compared to DC and Vertigo now. And I'm not real sure what Stan is reading these days either. Maybe the further adventures of "Condor Boy"? or whatever that crap is he's currently responsible for.
I actually read more Indy stuff now than Marvel I believe. As far as my regular Marvel subscription list I get Cap, anything Avengers, Moon Knight, Hulk and the Ultimate books. I read Astonishing X-Men in compilation form along with some other stuff. I'm looking forward to the return of Nova right now and I'm sorry to say I've been reading several of the Civil War titles which have at best been unsatisfying, and at worst have pushed me that little bit further from being the "Make mine Marvel" kind of guy I once was. I read more Marvel than I've mentioned but not regularly anymore.
I do still love the characters though that I grew up with. I read about ten times as much Marvel as DC back then and I'm still very attached to the FF, X-Men, Spidey and especially Captain America as well as many others. I've always loved the alien and space based characters like Captain Marvel and Adam Warlock, Nova etc, even though they have never really achieved the popularity of the mainstream heroes. So I collect lots of figures and some other memorabelia of all these great characters because regardless of how I feel about the current state of affairs at the "House of Ideas" I still love those earlier incarnations. This stuff still has great meaning to me and I just hope for better days to come in Marveldom.

I read very little Marvel. I read lots of Image and Top Cow comics and UDON and IG :confused: (Transformers). I just got back into Marvel due to the Civil War saga. Also, there is only one god for me and that is Dale F'n Keown :cool:

TOE said:
Also, there is only one god for me and that is Dale F'n Keown :cool:
And he got his first really big break at......Marvel, with the already classic David/Keown Hulks.

Back