Marks First Clone

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfoga

Super Freak
Reaction score
Here is my first attempt. I need to do quite a bit of touch up. I tried to mask the hard lines but that didnt work out as well as I hoped. Here is the clean 501st. I am going to go in a add som battle scaring later, I was pretty happy with my first attempt to paint in close to 15 years.

DSC_6837.jpg

DSC_6836.jpg

DSC_6834.jpg

Looks great Mark! Tape is hard to get to work, simply because the paint seems to bleed into the tape anyway and give you rough edges. But after the battle damage, you won't even notice. :rock

DarkArtist81 said:
Looks great Mark! Tape is hard to get to work, simply because the paint seems to bleed into the tape anyway and give you rough edges. But after the battle damage, you won't even notice. :rock
Is that because of the type of paint, I used painters tape, it has always worked in the past, well when doing house painting?

I plan to go in and try and straighten up some of the lines a lil then get to battle damage.

You could try using electrical tape. It has always worked well for me in the past. I had the same thing happen to me when painting my first set of clone armor but the electrical tape worked like a charm.

Last edited:
i think it looks great, if you brush painted the blue, tape bleeding is a pain, i always use an airbrush (tooo expensive i hear you say) but not neccessarily there are some excellent airbrushes around now for pennies, i look forward to your next step

Yeah I brushed it, I have never used an airbrush so thats a big factor why I didn't. I did a lot of artwork through High School and the brush would be a lot more comfortable. If this is something I continue to do I would look into a airbrush.

Well ne is now done. I think I went to far with the black. Lesson learned.

DSC_6868.jpg

DSC_6856.jpg

DSC_6859.jpg

nope, looks great ,maybe just maybe some ground up pastels dusted over his feet....or some drybrushing with a sand color there

Thanks guys I am very happy with it. I couldn't have hoped for more with this as my first custom and first time I have had a paintbrush in my hands in over 10 years.

Now I need to find another cheap clone so I can try and do a Shocktrooper.

Well I have started a second one. I am having som issues with the small stripes on the head and on the arm. Here is what I have so far.

DSC_7751.jpg

DSC_7753.jpg

Nice Mark! Bit of advice given to me by Les himself for the stripes on the helmet... use a pencil to draw them first and then follow it up with your brush. Much easier that way. Looks great so far, can't wait to see the final product!

Thanks for the tip. I had to clean up the head 3-4 times before I gave up for the day. I did figure out i could run a peice of painters tape to use a stopping point for the ones on the forhead.

Back