Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only seen the film once so far, so if I missed something here, forgiveness. I am dying to see it again on the big screen, but so far one viewing.

I am reading the novelization right now, and its pretty well-written for a novelization; most of which truly scrape the bottom of the barrel of an author's inventiveness. But this one is entertaining so far, and I am a tough sell.

One thing that wasn't made really clear onscreen is how long it took for Kal's lifeboat to actually reach earth. In the film, we're told they found a planet to send him to - and off he goes. I do remember "now how long would it take for him to hit earth, is the baby in stasis... he MUST be, of course but how LONG was he in space?" flitting through my mind.

The novelization tells us that Krypton was across our galaxy from earth. More than just a few light-years away, Krypton was almost an unimaginable distance away from us. Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I had no idea - and I bet most people in the theatre don't, either.

And, when Jor-El and Lara are discussing where they will send him, they are looking at pictures of earth - which was currently undergoing the ICE AGE. They had no idea what our technological prowess or mindset would be when Kal finally got here. All they had were some pictures of fur-clad savages. Yeah, that would be pretty scary to send your only child off to, all defenseless.

So, everyone is ancient. Kal-El is ancient. He traveled for literally thousands of years to get here. His parents, Zod, the whole crew.... all ancient. They are all people out of time, which is kind of eerie when you think about it.

Have not yet gotten to the point where Zod and Co. emerge from the Phantom Zone and eventually home in on Earth; it will be interesting to see how these chronological discrepancies will be dealt with.

How is that possible?:dunno

The novelization tells us that Krypton was across our galaxy from earth. More than just a few light-years away, Krypton was almost an unimaginable distance away from us. Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I had no idea - and I bet most people in the theatre don't, either.

And, when Jor-El and Lara are discussing where they will send him, they are looking at pictures of earth - which was currently undergoing the ICE AGE. They had no idea what our technological prowess or mindset would be when Kal finally got here. All they had were some pictures of fur-clad savages. Yeah, that would be pretty scary to send your only child off to, all defenseless.

Almost done reading the novelization myself. It's funny but when I was little all I wanted to do as a career was write movie novelizations. I thought it would be the best job! I ate up all the star wars books, Halloween, The Thing (and Who Goes There? The short story it was based on).

When Jor-El examines the data that shows they Earth is undergoing an ice age and that we are primitive, he is actually referencing data from the scout ship that landed in the arctic, 20,000 years ago.

It was all the data he had and was hoping man had evolved enough to accept Kal. Still scary to send your son and hope into the unknown like that.

Not even extended cut. :tap

I'll watch the Extended Cut. Just not the theatrical cut.

Also...i'm re-writing the ending right now. :panic::panic:

I don't know why, but I just want too. Maybe you guys will dig it. Give it a fair shot when I post it later on. I just wanted to put more umph in the finale emotionally.

And don't worry, I'm still going to kill Zod, and Superman is going to do it. But i'm doing something sightly different, with a different ending. You might dig it.

Almost done reading the novelization myself. It's funny but when I was little all I wanted to do as a career was write movie novelizations. I thought it would be the best job! I ate up all the star wars books, Halloween, The Thing (and Who Goes There? The short story it was based on).

When Jor-El examines the data that shows they Earth is undergoing an ice age and that we are primitive, he is actually referencing data from the scout ship that landed in the arctic, 20,000 years ago.

It was all the data he had and was hoping man had evolved enough to accept Kal. Still scary to send your son and hope into the unknown like that.

That makes much more sense.

That makes much more sense.

Correct, Zod even gives a time frame when he mentioned that he's been looking for Kal-el for 10 years after being freed from the PZ.

The phantom drive allows their ships to cut thru space hence popping in near your anos....errr....Saturn.

Rugby: When Jor-El examines the data that shows they Earth is undergoing an ice age and that we are primitive, he is actually referencing data from the scout ship that landed in the arctic, 20,000 years ago.

Hmmm. OK, makes sense and solves a bit of the problems inherent in the Phantom Zone Crewe showing up here on earth within our lifetimes. My knowledge of theories involving interstellar flight is spotty. Still, those people were a looooooooooooooong way away from us.

Pretty freaky. Like looking up into the night sky and realizing, "the light from that star might be from the thirteenth century, I am actually looking at the past." Eerie. :yess:

It's not doing that great. It's doing good. But it's not an amazing intake, at least compared to the recent blockbusters.

Is it my imagination or is this movie not blowing up at the box office like expected!?

I think its pretty much as expected. Even people on these boards were figuring that week 2 would not be a good thing due to Monsters U coming out, so I'm sure experts must have seen that roadblock coming. :dunno

Neither is Joss Whedon. How long many weeks were the Avengers at the top of the box office? A month or more I think.

Yeah but it took a cast member to die to buy that extra week. :nana:

Avengers did it overdose free.

11282054_gal.jpg

Back