Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anyone hates the film. I just think many, including the critics, see a lot of unfortunate flaws that prevent it from being one of the greats.

It's not too late for a course correction for the inevitable sequel.

I'm not saying there is a conspiracy. Who knows. I'm just saying he honestly doesn't care about the critics. He really doesn't. he shrugs it right off just as you might if your next door neighbor told you he/she doesn't like the color you chose to paint your house.

Now, he's admittedly lucky to be working for people who know him well and believe in him. But beyond that he's not gonna suffer anyone's opinions on his movies other than those he feels they're really for.

I am not saying he does care... But is he quoted somewhere about this??

We will find out how much he cares if he takes on more pet projects like the Owl Movie and Sucker Punch.

I think any film maker is allowed to be "critic proof" and make what he wants if his films make money.... I have not seem Michael Bay try and make another Epic type drams since Pearl Harbor. He has stuck to big budget summer films since then.

It really boils down to the all mighty $$$ and Success. Snyder hit it out of the park with Dawn and 300 and now again with MoS... So yes he will be "critic Proof" for some time... Which is fine with me. I would rather see his films then some others.

Went to a late night screening on Monday and loved it!

I didn't have massive expectations going in, especially as I'm not fanatical on Superman. Definitely going to be a worthy addition to the Blu ray collection.

Zod is sad about MoS :lol Probably because no one kneeled :(

Man of Steel has been a source of controversy for everyone from the filmmakers to the fans to us here at IGN, so it’s no surprise that Terence Stamp, the original General Zod from Superman II (played by Michael Shannon in the reboot), has something to say about it -- but it’s not what you’d think.

In an interview on Entertainment Weekly Radio to promote his new movie Unfinished Song, Stamp explained why even though he hasn’t seen the film yet, Man of Steel makes him sad.

“When I heard they were remaking it, or they were doing a version of it, I was kind of sad in a way,” Stamp said. “Because it was the benchmark for all of these comic book movies. There’s never been anything quite as good as those **** Donner movies. And since then, big movies have become computer generated. They’ve become unemotional, and so I was sad. I thought it would be diluted, in other words. And that it would be a personal dilution because it was such an incredible moment for me to come back, and to come back and play my first comic book villain. I was sad, but the truth is, I’m sure it’s vastly different… But, hey, you know, they wanted to pull on the Kryptonite boots? Good luck to them. They’re big!”

The conversation turned to his own experiences working on Superman II and the controversy surrounding director Richard Donner being fired and Richard Lester being brought in to finish the film.

“They brought in this director, who was a very, very good director,” said Stamp. “But I was astonished that he’d step into another director’s shoes. I thought, that’s really beneath Richard Lester. He’s bigger than that. And none of us wanted to go back. And we didn’t go back, actually. It was only when Chris Reeve went back that we thought, well, who am I? I’ve been out of work for eight years. I can’t annoy the business, you know? So we all went back, but it was flat. Because it was without Richard Donner,” he said.

Another source of controversy was when Marlon Brando’s Jor-El, played by Russell Crowe in Man of Steel, was cut from the movie.

“Incredibly, they replaced all of Brando’s stuff because he was trying to get a percentage that they had promised him,” Stamp said. “And to weaken his case, they replaced Marlon with this English actress [Susannah York], Superman’s mom. It didn’t seem possible. So it was very unhappy. Fortunately, we didn’t have to do much. We had to do the last sort of eighth of the movie, frankly.”

https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/21/man-of-steel-makes-original-zod-terence-stamp-sad

So, Irish, what do you think of Jeff Robinov quitting, and does that mean anything for the futures of these films?

So, Irish, what do you think of Jeff Robinov quitting, and does that mean anything for the futures of these films?

Honestly? My first thought was, "Good. Now maybe the new person will ****-can Diane Nelson, and in turn Dan DiDio and Bob Harras. Then the new DC leadership will properly demote Jim Lee and Geoff Johns and DC Comics can go back to being awesome again." Robinov is directly responsible for this current DC Comics regime.

I don't think it will affect the future of the pipeline much, if at all. And Zack is in good with the Legendary folks who produce these for WB.

It can go either way, but I think this can end up being a GOOD change, actually.

BTW, this image is from the Making of/Art/Photo book, but Clay just posted it on his personal Facebook, so I can share it here:

179724_10151742480727160_540657740_n.jpg

The cinematography was quite amazing I thought (I didn't have a problem with the muted color palettes.) It was nice to see a movie shot AND projected on film for a change.

As you can see from the photo, Zack shot a lot of the hand held stuff himself. On most movies the shooting process is so structured and almost assembly line. But he will just spontaneously grab a camera and start filming stuff.

Also, a lot of the close-up insert shots (like the butterfly in the chains, the rain falling into the water bucket, etc) is just stuff Zack shot during breaks in filming. He wanted to capture some of the location elements close up just for ****s and grins (and because the dude just can't sit still) but everyone liked the footage so much he ended up actually cutting some of the shots into the movie (and initial teaser trailers). But it was really just him playing around.

As you can see from the photo, Zack shot a lot of the hand held stuff himself. On most movies the shooting process is so structured and almost assembly line. But he will just spontaneously grab a camera and start filming stuff.

Also, a lot of the close-up insert shots (like the butterfly in the chains, the rain falling into the water bucket, etc) is just stuff Zack shot during breaks in filming. He wanted to capture some of the location elements close up just for ****s and grins (and because the dude just can't sit still) but everyone liked the footage so much he ended up actually cutting some of the shots into the movie (and initial teaser trailers). But it was really just him playing around.

Incorporating elements of guerrilla filmmaking into a 200 million dollar Superman production was an inspired touch that did its own part in further grounding the film in "reality."

BTW, this image is from the Making of/Art/Photo book, but Clay just posted it on his personal Facebook, so I can share it here:

179724_10151742480727160_540657740_n.jpg

I saw that in the book. It's a great making of book and you can tell a lot of love was put into the movie.

Back