Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was interesting, I just wish it was clearer, but from the "Heresy" statement, to the "1st natural birth in over a thousand years", plus the Matrix babies, strongly hints that they were unable to naturally breed.

I thought it was interesting, I just wish it was clearer, but from the "Heresy" statement, to the "1st natural birth in over a thousand years", plus the Matrix babies, strongly hints that they were unable to naturally breed.

Looks like the whole Smallville thing ain't the only thing you missed. "Heresy" would mean that Jor-El defied an established belief/practice. "Impossible" would mean they're genetically neutered. Two completely different words you're trying to mesh together to fit a skewed opinion. :lol

If natural childbirth on Krypton is "heresy," then I see it as being possible but a cultural taboo. A heretic chooses to go against established beliefs and/or customs. If natural childbirth is physically impossible for them, they don't need to outlaw it. You only need to make laws to stop behavior that is actually possible, should someone choose.

It's not heresy for a man to get pregnant, because that's impossible. It's heresy for a man to impregnate his daughter, because that is possible--but society wants to discourage it.

If natural childbirth on Krypton is "heresy," then I see it as being possible but a cultural taboo. A heretic chooses to go against established beliefs and/or customs. If natural childbirth is physically impossible for them, they don't need to outlaw it. You only need to make laws to stop behavior that is actually possible, should someone choose.

It's not heresy for a man to get pregnant, because that's impossible. It's heresy for a man to impregnate his daughter, because that is possible--but society wants to discourage it.

Good one tomcat.

Looks like the whole Smallville thing ain't the only thing you missed. "Heresy" would mean that Jor-El defied an established belief/practice. "Impossible" would mean they're genetically neutered. Two completely different words you're trying to mesh together to fit a skewed opinion. :lol

All opinions are skewed, even yours, didn't miss the Smallville thing, it's all there.

I wasn't trying to mesh it, I just didn't have a firm grasp of the word heresy, I though it also implied some sort of impossibility, now I see it didn't, I was wrong, it's clear to me now that it was a choice to breed or not, which kinda still makes it interesting for me at 1st glance.

Point taken. :wink1:

I'm rejecting this movie and all it's fans.

It's its.

I think Pa Kent's rationale of trying to get Clark to not "expose" his true self makes Kal El's later choices and decisions even more heroic.

Here's his father telling him he shouldn't risk his life to save others, because people will not be ready to accept him, until he finds out the purpose of his having been sent to earth.

He's basically saying, wait a minute son, don't risk your life until you know why you have all these superpowers and can 1. deal with them and 2. better accomplish what you were sent here for.
Remember the flashback to when the other kids were bullying him and he doesn't fight back. Pa Kent can see what's going on, but he lets Clark decide how he should react. It's a way of building character and showing faith in his son. That lesson is reinforced when the fat kid who bullied him in the bus helps him up. It's a valuable lesson to know that people can rise above their earlier mistakes, that if you do good, it will come back to you. And to top it off, Pa Kent gives him a little speech about choosing which man he wants to be, because that man will change the world (IIRC).

So it's not that Pa Kent doesn't want Clark to help or save people, it's that he wants to make sure that Clark has the fortitude and wisdom to do it right when he presents himself to humanity as what he truly is: a god-like being from another planet.

Personally, I find that a lot more complex, true and satisfying than the usual "he was raised by good folks in nowheresville USA so he keeps himself in check".

Which is not to say that that was bad. It's just that I find this more convincing for this day and age. The naiveté of the old story doesn't seem to have much traction for me.

It's its.

I think Pa Kent's rationale of trying to get Clark to not "expose" his true self makes Kal El's later choices and decisions even more heroic.

Here's his father telling him he shouldn't risk his life to save others, because people will not be ready to accept him, until he finds out the purpose of his having been sent to earth.

He's basically saying, wait a minute son, don't risk your life until you know why you have all these superpowers and can 1. deal with them and 2. better accomplish what you were sent here for.
Remember the flashback to when the other kids were bullying him and he doesn't fight back. Pa Kent can see what's going on, but he lets Clark decide how he should react. It's a way of building character and showing faith in his son. That lesson is reinforced when the fat kid who bullied him in the bus helps him up. It's a valuable lesson to know that people can rise above their earlier mistakes, that if you do good, it will come back to you. And to top it off, Pa Kent gives him a little speech about choosing which man he wants to be, because that man will change the world (IIRC).

So it's not that Pa Kent doesn't want Clark to help or save people, it's that he wants to make sure that Clark has the fortitude and wisdom to do it right when he presents himself to humanity as what he truly is: a god-like being from another planet.

Personally, I find that a lot more complex, true and satisfying.

You completely nailed all the money with nails full of right. :goodpost:

Agreed 100%

* Lets Pa Kent die in a wedge tornado so nobody will see him using his superpowers and reveal his secret.
* A few years later tells the military there's a rocketship in the barn at the family farm. Nice secret. Well worth sacrificing your dad, dumbass.

Hmmm I don't remember he actually told who he was, and where the baby pod was exactly.

They just show it being carried by a chopper or a truck or something.

Besides, the secret of his existence was exposed by Zod, not him.

Last edited:
Back