Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel

I'll call BS on this all day long. Nolan refused to address (i.e. chicken****ted out of) any of the more fantastic elements of Batman. It's not in the least "more suited to Batman." This is why you guys go full blown apologist in saying it's an "interpretation" of Batman and meant to be boxed in it's own universe. If it were a better suited story, there'd be no need whatsoever to be stating such as universally, it would be more accepted by the comic fans than it is.
So far, all of Nolan's films have had a running theme of being fairly dark and gritty at their core. This includes Inception with the suicide angle/inability to live in the real world. That's not such an intuitive fit with Superman, but we'll see.

It actually IS more than well accepted :lol

Whatever way you look at it, whichever movie rating aggregator site you go to, Nolans Batman films rank in the top spots for Comic book character based films

So I think audiences accepted his interpretation just fine

It actually IS more than well accepted :lol

Whatever way you look at it, whichever movie rating aggregator site you go to, Nolans Batman films rank in the top spots for Comic book character based films

So I think audiences accepted his interpretation just fine

Despite hearing differently every time I walk into a LCS (notice I said comic fans, not snobby trend-following film critics), you keep telling yourself that. Nolan's a flavor of the month. :wave

Considering the mans crime, the punishment was adequate imo

I hear ya, but I never saw Rorshach as a brutal killer. It was more of a straight out murder and less social justice.

This applies well for XFC too
I agree with that, because it felt like a real X-Men story should feel. My only issue with that one is the selection of characters. But. . .still 100X better than X3 despite it having so many iconic characters from the comic, because Ratner et al. clearly did not "get it" while Singer/Vaughn clearly did.

I'll call BS on this all day long. Nolan refused to address (i.e. chicken****ted out of) any of the more fantastic elements of Batman. It's not in the least "more suited to Batman." This is why you guys go full blown apologist in saying it's an "interpretation" of Batman and meant to be boxed in it's own universe. If it were a better suited story, there'd be no need whatsoever to be stating such as universally, it would be more accepted by the comic fans than it is.

Nolans idea and interpretation was to make his Batman movies in a more realistic manner, that in no way means he chicken ****ted out of it. He wanted to make a trilogy that would appeal to everyone(which it succeeded), not just for the nerds on Sideshow Freaks that b**** and whine that it wasn't more like the comics.

To some extent I agree, but I do think a more comic accurate Batman absolutely could work on the big screen (the Arkham games are a reflection of this). Nolan chose a different approach and it works very well, but for Batman, I certainly don't think it's the only potentially effective approach.

Oh i'm not saying Batman done a different way would necessarily be less successful or not as good. That's the thing about Batman, the issues and themes the character brings up are universal and can be interpreted a million different ways.

Not all characters are so universal though, that's my point.

i was talking about the writers, Goyer and Johnstad, didn't mention any Nolan

But to adress you're point... Just because you don't know the extent of the input Nolan had doesn't mean he should get equal or more credit than the actual writers.

The ones where there were no Superheroes, duh.

I never said Nolan should get equal or more credit :slap
I said you he should receive credit because he was involved in coming up with the story. I never mentioned magnitude of credit anywhere.

And btw if say MoS happens to get an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay, it would be shared by Goyer and Nolan. Johnstad and Nolan jnr might be added depending on whether they are credited for their edits.

And yes, no superheroes, but that doesn't make Batman a vigilante either.

Despite hearing differently every time I walk into a LCS (notice I said comic fans, not snobby trend-following film critics), you keep telling yourself that. Nolan's a flavor of the month. :wave

Well - we'll see in 10 years shall we :wave
And I wasn't just talking about film critics, i'm talking about general audience as indicated by IMDB ratings or RT audience ratings or cinemascore

Nolans idea and interpretation was to make his Batman movies in a more realistic manner, that in no way means he chicken ****ted out of it. He wanted to make a trilogy that would appeal to everyone(which it succeeded), not just for the nerds on Sideshow Freaks that b**** and whine that it wasn't more like the comics.

I agree with everything except the contention that he chose his interpretation because it would have wider appeal. I think he chose his interpretation because that's what appealed to HIM.

The best artists in any craft, film, music, paintings, whatever - do their best work when they create things they themselves want to experience.

He wanted to make a trilogy that would appeal to everyone(which it succeeded), not just for the nerds on Sideshow Freaks that b**** and whine that it wasn't more like the comics.
I always felt Nolan wanted to make a movie he liked, understood, and would be proud of. Not something that would be most appealing to a mass audience (though I'm sure he hoped audiences would love it, and I'm sure that was the primary hope of some of the upper brass at the WB). I would think much lesser of Nolan if I felt he was primarily driven by concerns of appealing to the masses.

Oh i'm not saying Batman done a different way would necessarily be less successful or not as good. That's the thing about Batman, the issues and themes the character brings up are universal and can be interpreted a million different ways.

. . .

I agree with everything except the contention that he chose his interpretation because it would have wider appeal. I think he chose his interpretation because that's what appealed to HIM.

The best artists in any craft, film, music, paintings, whatever - do their best work when they create things they themselves want to experience.
Then we agree on those points :duff

Supes will have fantastic battles with the Kryptonians, it's a shame it's Zod and his minions again.

I'm glad more Superhero films will be using original villains for the sequels and reboots.

The only ones i can think of that haven't reused villains as of now are Spider-Man, Iron Man and Hulk movies. All others have reused villains at some point.

X3 reused Magneto
Superman reused Lex and now Zod.
TDK & TDKR reused Joker, Catwoman and Bane
Avengers reused Loki

People can debate about setting Batman in a realistic world all day, but you can't sidestep the fantasy elements of Superman without being a chicksh-t.

This is a character that had a teenage crush on a mermaid, has family living in a city in a bottle, and has powers that defy science. His cousin Kara and dog Krypto arrived on seperate spaceships and have the same powers. He used to defeat one of his foes by tricking him into saying his name backwards. The list goes on and on for 70 years.

This is a character that has some pretty crazy baggage. Dini and Timm never ran from that stuff. They embraced it and made it awesome.

People can debate about setting Batman in a realistic world all day, but you can't sidestep the fantasy elements of Superman without being a chicksh-t.

This is a character that had a teenage crush on a mermaid, has family living in a city in a bottle, and has powers that defy science. His cousin Kara and dog Krypto arrived on seperate spaceships and have the same powers. He used to defeat one of his foes by tricking him into saying his name backwards. The list goes on and on for 70 years.

This is a character that has some pretty crazy baggage. Dini and Timm never ran from that stuff. They embraced it and made it awesome.

Exactly and clearly you can see from the trailers that this Superman is still an Alien and can still fly and do incredible *unrealistic* *fantastical* things.

So what's the fuss about. :dunno

It's clear whatever interpretive vision Snyder/Goyer/Nolan are bringing to the table, it's not anything that isn't fantastical.

Well said :lecture

So far we haven't seen any other powers except flight & invulnerablity

Hope he has heat vision, xray vision and super hearing.

:goodpost:

Precisely why Snyder is the better choice for Director as he has handled fantasty and fantastical elements very well in his career

Back