Major Nelson promises BIG xbox360 announcement

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way too soon, they can get tons of money still from the 360 without having to bring in a new one. But a handheld seems more likely, although with the new Zune announcement I'm not sure if they'd have both.

I'd say it's in the span of its life where a console would be announced around now. These are 4-5 year machines. PS2 broke that boundary, and Wii will brake it this generation. Microsoft came late to the game with Xbox and learned its lesson and jump started the 360. Their next system will be first to market too. I'll be very surprised if the next Microsoft system isn't announced.

I'd say it's in the span of its life where a console would be announced around now. These are 4-5 year machines. PS2 broke that boundary, and Wii will brake it this generation. Microsoft came late to the game with Xbox and learned its lesson and jump started the 360. Their next system will be first to market too. I'll be very surprised if the next Microsoft system isn't announced.

Get ready to be surprised, right now the Xbox 360 is the PS2 of this generation, they just started making money on it last year, they aren't going to introduce a new version for at least 2 more years.

Get ready to be surprised, right now the Xbox 360 is the PS2 of this generation, they just started making money on it last year, they aren't going to introduce a new version for at least 2 more years.

:lol No. Like it or not, the Wii is the PS2 of this generation :lecture

And you revealing a system at E3 doesn't have to mean it's going to come out super soon. It could very well be unveiled at the convention, and come out a long while later.

I highly doubt it will be the next-gen Xbox. We're still a year or two away from that even being announced.

And you revealing a system at E3 doesn't have to mean it's going to come out super soon. It could very well be unveiled at the convention, and come out a long while later.

The Wii is a piece of crap. I owned one and sold it. it's boring unless you have a group of people. The graphics suck. It's an umimpressive piece of ^^^^ IMO.

The problem with that is that it makes people want to WAIT for the next system. Why buy this system now when you can wait a few years and get a much better one. It's like announcing a price drop that's a month away. Would you buy the system now at the current price, or wait a few weeks for a better one?

The problem with that is that it makes people want to WAIT for the next system. Why buy this system now when you can wait a few years and get a much better one. It's like announcing a price drop that's a month away. Would you buy the system now at the current price, or wait a few weeks for a better one?

Anyone who follows E3 whatsoever already owns an Xbox 360 if they were ever going to get one. It will never be front page news. Xbox 360 may just be starting to make profit, and that's because they are finally getting more and more casual, and non-gamers to buy their system. These kind of people will probably never know about the new system until a month before it comes out when it actually gets big buzz that breaks beyond gaming circles.

Anyone who follows E3 whatsoever already owns an Xbox 360 if they were ever going to get one. It will never be front page news. Xbox 360 may just be starting to make profit, and that's because they are finally getting more and more casual, and non-gamers to buy their system. These kind of people will probably never know about the new system until a month before it comes out when it actually gets big buzz that breaks beyond gaming circles.

There have been over some 80 million PS2's sold. And yes, companies annoucning new consoles IS front page news. You will see that slapped on the front of many news sites, especially since it would be an American product like the 360. I think Microsoft will wait a while before announcing a new system, because they can make a LOT more with a few more price drops in the future.

EDIT: Make that over 100 million.

And yes, companies annoucning new consoles IS front page news.

On the day of release, yes. Announcement? No. Didn't happen before and the only chance any announced console has of getting big media buzz on its announcement day is the next Wii.

There's a lot of room for the 360 to expand if they keep it going for years to come.

If the Wii didn't exist, I would totally agree with you. But it does, and its control scheme appeals to the casual quite a bit more than a button based controlled system. Throw in Soccer Moms, and Grand Parents who would have never even bought a PS2, and the Wii should do PS2 numbers and beyond by the end of it. Xbox 360 can try to disguise their system as casual as hard as they want, but it just won't draw in near the numbers of the crowd as the Wii. Again, love it, hate it, don't care about it, the Wii has shifted the paradigm. They're not even fighting on the same battle ground as Sony or Microsoft anymore. Citing last generations numbers reflects little on what will happen, and where the Xbox 360 can go.

There's a lot of room for the 360 to expand if they keep it going for years to come.

P.S. https://money.cnn.com/2005/05/16/technology/personaltech/e3_sony/index.htm

You're right, everyone reads the CNN Money website, and caught that link on its latest news links section for the day it was on it. :rolleyes:

And beyond that, I'm not sure which purpose it serves your argument as the PS2's sales were completely unhindered by that which would mean nobody was aware of it, or it wasn't a factor at all if everyone read it (because everyone reads CNN Money :rolleyes:) - infact - PS2 sales are cannibalizing PS3 sales.

If the Wii didn't exist, I would totally agree with you. But it does, and its control scheme appeals to the casual quite a bit more than a button based controlled system. Throw in Soccer Moms, and Grand Parents who would have never even bought a PS2, and the Wii should do PS2 numbers and beyond by the end of it. Xbox 360 can try to disguise their system as casual as hard as they want, but it just won't draw in near the numbers of the crowd as the Wii. Again, love it, hate it, don't care about it, the Wii has shifted the paradigm. They're not even fighting on the same battle ground as Sony or Microsoft anymore. Citing last generations numbers reflects little on what will happen, and where the Xbox 360 can go.

Too bad the Wii doesn't appeal to a lot of harcore gamers, an already huge and well established number. Honestly, I'm pretty sure there may be more established gamers out there rahter than people who would just willy nilly buy a Wii. Surely impossible to prove, yes, but you just can't compare things like Wii sales with PS3 and 360 when they do in fact shoot for a very different audience. The fact is, numbers are still far too strong for things like the 360 for them to already announce a new console. You announce it, and you draw away eyes for the 360 and put them on the new console. They're just going to announce something that they think will bring MORE eyes to the 360 itself, which will likely be the 360 connectivity to the new Zune HD.

You're right, everyone reads the CNN Money website, and caught that link on its latest news links section for the day it was on it. :rolleyes:

You said nobody talked about announcements, and I proved they do. Stop being a baby about it. It's CNN dude, they post MANY different stories on their front page from their other websites, so who's to say that wasn't on the front page.

And beyond that, I'm not sure which purpose it serves your argument as the PS2's sales were completely unhindered by that which would mean nobody was aware of it, or it wasn't a factor at all if everyone read it (because everyone reads CNN Money :rolleyes:) - infact - PS2 sales are cannibalizing PS3 sales.

Who the ^^^^^k said I was trying to prove some correlation between sales and consoles being ANNOUNCED on websites?

Too bad the Wii doesn't appeal to a lot of harcore gamers, an already huge and well established number. Honestly, I'm pretty sure there may be more established gamers out there rahter than people who would just willy nilly buy a Wii.

You couldn't be more wrong. The hardcore gamers market is niche. Wii sales have broken that niche, sales alone prove that. Again, Wii is eating the bulk of the precious 100 million PS2 number you cited. Those people, and more, are buying Wii. Software sales vs Hardware sales gives us the Casual Gamer to Hardcore Gamer rough percentage.

Back