Action Figure MAFEX Big Chap (Alien)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to me that it's not really a QC issue, but rather a design problem.
To be honest, the more I see of the figure, the less enthusiastic I am about it... I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun in hand, though.

Had a look at Isaac Wong's pics on facebook, and I wonder if maybe he switched the domes around unknowingly? The heads seem to be quite different, they even have differently sculpted skulls and paint apps, so it's quite likely that each head has a specific dome for it. On the side by side pics of the domes/heads, yuo can see that one (dome) is actually larger than the other, and there's some other subtle differences as well. Here's hoping...
The range of articulation seems insane, which is very nice, but I really do hate the way the hips and ankles look...
So overall, I guess the search for the ultimate Giger alien figure is still on! Who knows, maybe NECA will give us something truly amazing if and when they decide to revisit this. At any rate, despite its more limited range of motion, NECA's design for the hips and ankles gets my vote so far.

I wondered that, the wrong dome on the wrong head. You think he'd notice that though - and yet, no, maybe not. It became a running joke in the Robocop threads with people displaying ED-209 with his arms upside-down.

NECA's ultimate Big Chap is probably done but it would be nice if they took a lesson from this and provided entire alternate heads instead of the usual one-head with moving jaw so as to be able to accurately capture as many iconic shots as possible without compromising for a play feature.

i'd say "they confirmed it".

*mouse cursor hovers over 'cancel' button*

Last edited:
Hi all, finally received it after the local national post stuffed the original on-time DHL delivery and almost lost my parcel.

Yes their definitely seems two different head sculpts and the one with the swappable jaw has the "protruding" dome. Yeah, I can't seem to swap the dome. The head sculpt where the dome seems to sit right has the teeth clenched.

On another note when I pulled the figure out the head wasn't sitting properly on the neck peg and thus fell off. Also the right arm fell off a few times but I was able to put it back. Is one of those must put glue or nail polish to make the joint tighter. The two pairs of hands don't seem to be that different and the only one that is different was the one originally on the figure where the fingers aren't splayed out.

The height is nice to the other Mafex, 6 inch scale or 1/12 scale around that size. So yes, this is in that sense, the actual "Big Chap", that I have been waiting for when compared to Sh Figuarts, Revoltech and Figma. NECA seems too big for this scale but was my sturdier stand-in. This figure like most Mafex figure seems delicate and can be prone to falling if not position correctly.

0d15ba0aeb3e4f507f29a1ebfea261d4.jpg
a2a411272537702182fd18ee2f1bca8d.jpg
59d8b971ad77a85c078b188d0e3c627f.jpg
3658375cd69f7b8b76deabc2e2259a06.jpg
1bceb5577fee0e94fcab60734e4ab9fe.jpg
8d30b7d4f6598a63c767ae1858d8eaf9.jpg
e865be64b0c265c69d32dbea09a53435.jpg

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Sweet Jeebus, the dome on the second head! Looks like Medicom may have a major QC issue with this figure :(

Rambaldi head aside, these photos are stunning. Many thanks for posting :)

Thanks :hi5: it’s not as bad as it’s being made out to be..I really think once you have in hand and pose it around a bit you see it’s actually pretty nice. It’s not perfect by any means but it is something very new and different for mafex and they did a good job for a first attempt

Thanks for the review and the pics mandoba!
The good news is that one dome fits well, the bad news is that only one dome fits well...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

So what's the issue that I'm missing. The way the dome hangs over the mouth?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah it should be flush with the face, not protruding like that. How's yours?
Ah, thanks. Mine's the same way. Doesn't bother me at this scale though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Is it me :wink1: Or are the NECA human figs just a tad bigger than the Marvel Legends scale figs?

A couple of stupid questions;

• Is there elbow swivel since there's no bicep swivel.
  • Can the front portion of the dome be carefully trimmed, sanded or something.

Last edited:
It beggars belief for sure. I wonder if the dome from the Giger head will fit it?
Nope, and I wouldn't try unless you really have guts and money!

One does fit and look shorter than the other
eb9c1fa636a0ef828fee0fb590cec0bd.jpg
1f8603b5edaf64a425a002eb0a2a1ff0.jpg
80b02544f4d8b5d1582d9ea2254774de.jpg
0272c022dffeffb4849b641b627638b0.jpg
14dde6987e790c605742ec841ef69139.jpg
e65826fbd445b191b6ed4a74ba5c427b.jpg

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Wow... I could tell from other pics that there was a size difference, but that’s ridiculous...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Thanks for the photos once again mandoba. I'm guessing the shorter dome is the one for the open mouth head and the longer for the closed mouth?

And the shorter dome is still too long? Bonkers!

I'm still getting two anyway :rotfl

Back