LOTR PF's

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure that many people thought the same thing about doing 8 of the 9 fellowship characters in their classic matching FOTR outfits and then the last one in his ROTK armor--but that's what happened in the Weta polystone line. Never say never! Although I do hope to see them all eventually.

I only got into serious collecting because of LOTR. Even after all this time since the movies came out, I find that I'm still fascinated by that movie/book. I've gotten select pieces for SW and have committed to Harry Potter, but the lure of LOTR is still very much stronger than anything else. Maybe I've been able to be a bit more steadfast since I got into collecting so late in my life?

Wetanut said:
I only got into serious collecting because of LOTR. Even after all this time since the movies came out, I find that I'm still fascinated by that movie/book. I've gotten select pieces for SW and have committed to Harry Potter, but the lure of LOTR is still very much stronger than anything else. Maybe I've been able to be a bit more steadfast since I got into collecting so late in my life?

Ditto for me. I love the LOTR more than anything. The draw to it is so powerful.

Both the book and movies are considered to be such classics that I know my grandchildren will recognize these pieces years from now. They are limited enough and of such high quality that I know they will remain valuable for a long, long time.

Depends how long they're going to have the license. You won't see the entire Fellowship anytime soon. If you really think they're going to spend time and effort on a PF Pippin, you may be delusional. ;) :rotfl I base that opinion on past experience. :monkey5

PS. Honestly, I'm happy with my Weta Fellowship so I don't care if it's done in PF, I'd like to see "cool" characters as well. :monkey1

Yeah, I love my SSW as well but to only do secondary characters would be a horrible decision and would kill the line for sure.

Secondary characters? I think Lurtz was a tertiary character (he's not in the books, and does not have a part that spans beyond 1 movie). If anything, only die-hard LOTR fans would entertain PFs at this point, and Sideshow would do well by offering complimentary and awesome figures at this point. That said, a PF High Elven Warrior, or 2nd Age Gondorian Soldier, or Royal Rohan Guard, or Tree of Gondor Pikesman would all be welcome in my books. Anything that looks intricate and in armor or weapon would be great! Eomer anyone?

Let's face it, I wouldn't want a PF of something I have already represented in 1/4 Weta scale. That means the Fellowship is out (of course, never say never), or I have to be picky. Then again, Boromir's clothes were so rich that I can bend the rules for him.

While I don't expect Sideshow to completely ignore Fellowship characters in the PF line, I certainly didn't anticipate them doing all of the Fellowship in PF as they stated they have plans to do. This will tremendously cut into any hopes of seeing lesser-known characters being represented in the line, especially at the rate Sideshow is producting these. Even at 2-3 a year, it'll take up to four years to produce the entire fellowship. Will Sideshow even have the license for that long?

I think this is a great opportunity for Sideshow to produce characters other than Fellowship with this line. Not only from the standpoint of the costume development, but also from the standpoint of introducing something new and fresh for LOTR collectors.

I would imagine that most collectors buying the LOTR PF figures are also the same ones who have collected the poly pieces and are collecting the 12" figures. How many would want to see the same characters revisited in all three lines? I certainly don't. I'm looking for more diversity. There's more to Middle Earth than just the Fellowship. I hope Sideshow does some exploring with this line and gives us something different. Lurtz was a good start.

Why wouldn't they have the PF license for a long time? They are basically the only company making PF items. GG has the busts, but even they had to put a spin on them. No company that I know of has a LOTR statue license and SS's the only one making Premium Format figures (I know that's their term, but mixed media figures).

Radagaster said:
Secondary characters? I think Lurtz was a tertiary character (he's not in the books, and does not have a part that spans beyond 1 movie). If anything, only die-hard LOTR fans would entertain PFs at this point, and Sideshow would do well by offering complimentary and awesome figures at this point. That said, a PF High Elven Warrior, or 2nd Age Gondorian Soldier, or Royal Rohan Guard, or Tree of Gondor Pikesman would all be welcome in my books. Anything that looks intricate and in armor or weapon would be great! Eomer anyone?

Whatever that's a matter of symantics :rolleyes: He's not a top level character but IMO was a great choice because he was so wanted and his armor. Die Hards are in it for everything though. That's why they are die hards which is why you MUST do the Fellowship. To keep those in that might not consider themselves die hards.

I'd love to have Eomer in PF. He ranks very high on my list.

Radagaster said:
Let's face it, I wouldn't want a PF of something I have already represented in 1/4 Weta scale. That means the Fellowship is out (of course, never say never), or I have to be picky. Then again, Boromir's clothes were so rich that I can bend the rules for him.

Maybe for you. I want all 9 as I'm sure many people do. I want them in different formats that can be had by the PF, 12" and Poly.

choopie said:
While I don't expect Sideshow to completely ignore Fellowship characters in the PF line, I certainly didn't anticipate them doing all of the Fellowship in PF as they stated they have plans to do. This will tremendously cut into any hopes of seeing lesser-known characters being represented in the line, especially at the rate Sideshow is producting these. Even at 2-3 a year, it'll take up to four years to produce the entire fellowship. Will Sideshow even have the license for that long?

I would be shocked if they didn't do all 9 members. It would be pretty much a bad decision to skip out on doing the entire team so to speak. I love all of the LOTR but I doubt I spend much money on lesser known characters hoenstly. Just like anyone else money is tight and I would have to think long and hard. Do I want an High Elven Warrior or Legolas? I'd drop $275 on Legolas in a heartbeat but the other not so much.

choopie said:
I think this is a great opportunity for Sideshow to produce characters other than Fellowship with this line. Not only from the standpoint of the costume development, but also from the standpoint of introducing something new and fresh for LOTR collectors.

It is a great chance to produce more than just the Fellowship. However, noy doing all 9 makes no sense to me at all since they where one of the main cogs of the story.

choopie said:
I would imagine that most collectors buying the LOTR PF figures are also the same ones who have collected the poly pieces and are collecting the 12" figures. How many would want to see the same characters revisited in all three lines? I certainly don't. I'm looking for more diversity. There's more to Middle Earth than just the Fellowship. I hope Sideshow does some exploring with this line and gives us something different. Lurtz was a good start.

I know I sure as heck do. I'd venture to say you're wrong and that most do want all 9 in all three or at least PF and Poly. There is more to Middle Earth than just the Fellowship but you can't sell a whole line on just the background characters. I love them as much as anyone but these are being sold to more than just "us".

I don't have them all in the SSW statue or bust line, and I won't be collecting the 12" figures. So my only chance at having a complete display of all the characters in the Fellowship would be if they ultimately produce them all in the PF line. At the rate of one a year, maybe stepping it up to two a year, and tossing in other characters (I would like to see an armored Theoden before FOTR Merry) you are looking at a good ten years minimum before you would have all nine. Who knows what will happen with Sideshow and LOTR in that amount of time?

I think there will be more than 2-3 figures announced a year. I think it will be closer to 3-4 or even 4-5.

I'll take a Prologue Elven Warrior before another Legolas, thank you very much.:lol That's not to say that a "Fellowship" Legolas wouldn't also be welcome somewhere down the line, but I want the PEW more.

Like Raddy, I want PEW, a Rohan solider (Eeomer or Thedoen will work), a Fountain Guard, Gondoria Soldier, Moria Orc. I do understand where you "Fellowship First" folks are coming from....I just don't happen to be one of you. I don't really care if the entire fellowship is ever produced in PF as I would rather have PF's of some of the pieces mentioned above that represent the different cultures of Middle Earth.

And I AM a die-hard LoTR collector. My depleted bank account from 2001 forward proves it.:D

That's cool. I'm not against the secondary characters getting made that's for sure. I'm all for it but this line will BOMB (IMO) if Fellowship isn't at the heart of it as far as all 9 being made (not all 9 in a row). I think that's pretty much a guarantee. Let's put it this way for me if the entire Fellowship isn't produced I'm either not going to buy very many or more than likely not do the line at all. There just isn't that many other figures I want outside of the Fellowship and since I have limited funds I want to be able to use them on the Fellowship, Eomer, Faramir, Lurtz (check), Theoden, etc..

high elven must surely be made. i'm sure it will be very welcomed. i also don't mind a coronation aragorn and arwen to go with him. and i also don't mind gil-galad :D

I wil buy them all
Fellowship or not.

But i do prefer characters that just look amazing, I mean characters with a great costume, many weapons, etc...
but who doesn't look amazing in LOTR? They all do !

I also think, like most of you the line is going way to slow.
And that's a serious understatement.
One a year is way too little, they announced Lurtz at the end of 2005, pre-order was up beginning of 2006, just as Frodo, but it has been almost a year since the last pre-order (I think a good 9 months). That's just not enough with all the possible characters they can bring out.

I don't want them to rush in or bring out as many as with the poly line, but 3-4 a year would be nice...

SideshowDusty said:
Yes, definitely working on a couple! You know, I hear Toy Fair is just around the corner, and who knows what could happen there... I can neither confirm nor deny ;)

Good to hear that SS hasn't given up on this line before it has really got started but i have to admit that having to wait another 3 months for an announcement at Toyfair is really disappointing.

Unless SS are shortening the times between announcements and shipping it could be 2008 before we see the next. I so want to complete the fellowship in PF but at this rate (2 per year with one already complete) it will be four years from now which is a hell of a long time.

I think Sideshow is at risk of turning people off this line with this possibility. They are doing a better job on the Star Wars line. I see no reason why they cannot do the same with the LoTR line.

jlcmsu said:
I think there will be more than 2-3 figures announced a year. I think it will be closer to 3-4 or even 4-5.

When they started this PF line, didn't they say it would be limited to 2 or 3 a year to help with the funds of the collectors? Well, we've had 2 anouncements and it's been one heck of a long time, Frodo is close to being released, unless there's a holdup on it and nothing at all to look forward to beyond him. I would be very happy with 2-3 a year, but it would also help to keep interest up if we hear something about what's coming.

I really afraid that they will end the PF's due to lack of interest and that doesn't make me happy. I don't want 3 figures and then be told, it's all over, you guys didn't respond well enough. The longer they wait to unveil new PF's, the more the interest will wane and that isn't good for those of us that are serious about the PF's.

I think they meant the first year. I could be wrong though.

I'm with ya that if they only do a couple then end it then I'l be very unhappy.

Back