Lights for Detolf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And our mini wireless project is done. Now to put lights on top of the cabinet.
ce2f13f57d9a13d16ebdfc08f3ec14c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing light display!

I built my Detolfs about a year before collecting HT; since then I found I need a lot more light to display these figures and purchased some Ikea Dioder kits over the weekend. It didn't take long to realize the light strips need to be angled towards the figures vice flat-mounted so I took the time to review several member's solutions for mounting the strips across the top-front of each display area. I think mounting the light strips vertically on both sides provides too much light, at least for my taste, so I visited Home Depot this afternoon looking for something besides wood to mount the strips at an angle. What I found was a long section of vinyl channel in the paneling/molding section that I think may fit the bill. It's pretty hard to explain but if you look at a cross section you can see the channel can be slid over the front of the glass shelves with the inside rounded arc providing the correct angle to mount the light strips so that they point at the figures. My thought is to Velcro the light strips to the inside of the arc although I haven't gotten to that part yet. I originally thought about painting the vinyl sections to match my black-brown Detolfs but I think leaving the vinyl it's raw color would work better and be less distracting.

Make sense?

View attachment 236193

Hi-would like to see your results and part numbers and where to get them, thanks.

I did follow through and use the vinyl channel to better direct the Dioder lighting although I didn't slip it over the glass shelving like I thought I would. I found when it was slipped over the glass, it opened up the channel and took away some of the angle I was going for. I ended up using thin, clear Velcro tape to mount the vinyl channel and mount the light strips to the channel; I used Velcro so I could easily replace the light strips if they burnt out. After mounting all the lights I ran the wires down the hinge-side of the Detolfs and out the front, hiding the white wires with black corrugated wire wrap...or whatever it's called.

I don't have much to share as far as part numbers:

1) Ikea Dioder lighting...I put one strip per shelf, which is a taste thing.
2) Thin, clear Velcro purchased at Home Depot...I purchased a 15 ft. spool so it could be cut to length and it's cheaper than buying the little squares and cutting it up; the "thin" part means there's not a lot of material between the parts you have stuck together...it has a low profile (if that makes sense).
3) Vinyl Channel. I tried searching for it online but had no luck; it's located in the paneling section and would probably be used for bathroom paneling.
4) Small (tiny) cable ties.

Here's what it looks like from the front of a Detolf:

01.JPG

02.JPG

Side view of the mounted vinyl channel and the angle of the light strip:

03.JPG

Wires exiting the case:

04.JPG

How does the wireless lights work in a detolf?

Quite simple actually. You basically energize one side of the cabinet support to be positive and the other side to be negative. And from there, just connect your LEDs by using a clip, at any level that you need on both sides.

I might do a writeup on how this is done soon. Just lacking photos.
00bd8347f509e59df0425dc7f2b2c824.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys , I am new to the forum and changed my lights out on my Bestas to color changing Dioders from Ikea. I was wanting to know what you guys are using for adhesive because they fell off within an hour. No big deal as far as IKEA goes because it is 10 minutes away from my house but did anyone else have this issue? Thanks!

^ We have the same problem :)

Below is my original post in another thread but no one answered.

What do you guys use to stick the LED strips under the ikea glass shelves? Coz mine always falls off. I was thinking because of the heat of the LED, the double sided sticker that came with it is not too strong enough to hold it in place.

I used thin, clear Velcro Brand Velcro purchased at Home Depot and haven't had a problem. A 15ft roll of it costs approximately $14 and was cheaper than buying the pre-cut squares.

BTW, the LEDs put out very little heat and shouldn't be a factor.

Quite simple actually. You basically energize one side of the cabinet support to be positive and the other side to be negative. And from there, just connect your LEDs by using a clip, at any level that you need on both sides.

I've done this as well except I connected the wires on the top and bottom to the screw/nuts that connect to the wire shelving. PixelPiper is to thank in my case.

Thanks guys. I have a neighbor that works at a lighting store and he gave me a roll of LEDs that had great double sided tape but every time I turned my strips on it looked like my wife and I were about to be abducted. I like these so all the ideas are very helpful. Thanks again.

I've done this as well except I connected the wires on the top and bottom to the screw/nuts that connect to the wire shelving. PixelPiper is to thank in my case.

Yeah I got the same idea when visiting this page based on pixel piper's post!

Hi,

I'm currently searching for light options for my Detolfs and I find your setup very nice! :D Could you please post some close-ups on how you installed them onto the frame? I don't quiet get how you've placed your strip. Especially between each shelf.

Thanks mate! Hope I ain't asking for too much. :D

The LED Strip Lights have a 3M adhesive backing on them. So it's a peel and stick solution. I used the occasional plastic tie strap to hold in place but it's not necessary. I have soldered small wires from shelf to shelf to keep the series of power. Soldering isn't needed if you also buy the LED Strip light clips. These can also be found on ebay for a few bucks. It's a quicker solution that using solder.

Hey guys , I am new to the forum and changed my lights out on my Bestas to color changing Dioders from Ikea. I was wanting to know what you guys are using for adhesive because they fell off within an hour. No big deal as far as IKEA goes because it is 10 minutes away from my house but did anyone else have this issue? Thanks!

I think the IKEA Dioder is too bulky and you have to hide wires. I found the LED Strip Lights much easier as they are light weight and have a 3M adhesive backing. The lights generate zero heat so the stick will last forever.

^ We have the same problem :)

Below is my original post in another thread but no one answered.

What do you guys use to stick the LED strips under the ikea glass shelves? Coz mine always falls off. I was thinking because of the heat of the LED, the double sided sticker that came with it is not too strong enough to hold it in place.

The option of using the LED Strips (not Ikea dioder) is excellent as the 3M adhesive backing combo with the smooth glass....It will stick forever!

Interesting, will have to consider this for my cabinet.

I bought my first Detlof cabinet to put my legos in and I bought some LED lights the require batteries and you push them in the center but they don't give off much light.After reading this thread I think I'm going to buy the Dioder light strips because I like the way they give off the light from a lot of members pictures.I was wondering if I should run the wires down the sides and zip tie them and have the wires go out the bottom and to the back to plug them in or should I use a track like someone suggested to hide the wires?I plan on getting another Detlof next Christmas to display my figures so I want to get the right lighting for my first Detlof so when I get the second one I'll have the right lighting.Thanks for any advice that anyone can give me,it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi. Thanks for the post, is very interesting.

I have an Ikea dioder 4 rigid bars package bought in spain (17€), but they are warm/day light. I dont like it and I looking for something similar but in cold light.

Where I can find a similar package?. Nevermind if is on the rest of europe or usa, i will buy them in internet.

Thanks in advance

I did follow through and use the vinyl channel to better direct the Dioder lighting although I didn't slip it over the glass shelving like I thought I would. I found when it was slipped over the glass, it opened up the channel and took away some of the angle I was going for. I ended up using thin, clear Velcro tape to mount the vinyl channel and mount the light strips to the channel; I used Velcro so I could easily replace the light strips if they burnt out. After mounting all the lights I ran the wires down the hinge-side of the Detolfs and out the front, hiding the white wires with black corrugated wire wrap...or whatever it's called.

I don't have much to share as far as part numbers:

1) Ikea Dioder lighting...I put one strip per shelf, which is a taste thing.
2) Thin, clear Velcro purchased at Home Depot...I purchased a 15 ft. spool so it could be cut to length and it's cheaper than buying the little squares and cutting it up; the "thin" part means there's not a lot of material between the parts you have stuck together...it has a low profile (if that makes sense).
3) Vinyl Channel. I tried searching for it online but had no luck; it's located in the paneling section and would probably be used for bathroom paneling.
4) Small (tiny) cable ties.

Here's what it looks like from the front of a Detolf:

View attachment 255358

View attachment 255355

Side view of the mounted vinyl channel and the angle of the light strip:

View attachment 255356

Wires exiting the case:

View attachment 255359

Thanks for the tip on the moulding! After a couple of circuits around my local Home Depot, I was able to find it. Now I just have to find the right thin velcro.

Awesome thread! I'm leaning towards warm white. That would likely match the typical lighting used in my home wouldn't it?

Back