Lights for Detolf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone be so kind as to tell me the size of the Allen Key / Hexagonal Key used on the Detolf? In mm, if possible, please. I need to take two apart to transport home.

Great thread, by the way :)

Hey, all. First post here.
I've been absolutely enamored looking through everyone's lightning solutions, so I went out and bought the supplies necessary to do the custom led solution so many of you have been using.

I have a proper power supply:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VA27NRK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The lights themselves, a 5m strip of 2835:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSF65MC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wiring:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0F329B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

led to wire connectors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DM7EXX2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DC 5.5mm to wire connectors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OWMW2QM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a soldering kit and all the necessary tools for wire stripping and the like if need be.
I'm interested in doing a main busline up the front left side of my detolf and branching single strips to the front of individual shelves, as that seems to be the most common method. Is this the best idea?
By detolf's would be visible from both the side and the front. Was also considering running the lights across the back-to-front rails.

The problem is, I'm bad at measuring and was hoping someone could share specific wire measurements for this setup, or the best way they used to take these measurements. I'm not sure how much space to allocate for the connectors when I splice them into the main wire, for instance.

Also very much interested in trying to electrify the rails as described mostly by PixelPiper, though most of his Flickr photos describing this process have been deleted... any help with either of these topics, and general advice, would be lovely!
I'm a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing.

Ok, would like some suggestions/opinions on the following. I have three Detolfs I want to outfit with Dioder light strips from IKEA. Question is, what is the best and/or cleanest method to tuck away the wiring?

1. Let the wiring go in next to the door (hinge side or opposite, bottom or top)
2. Drill a small hole in the wood and let the wiring go in there (bottom or top)

Regardless, I will try to stuff the internal wiring at a corner in the back.

Anybody tried the Dioder 4 piece color changing puck lights on a Detolf? I just bought a set to try them out but would like to find out from some one if they work OK before taking them out of the packaging.

Thanks

Went to Ikea yesterday, and one of the women working there told me they're coming out with new strip lighting next month that you'll be able to trim to the length you desire, and that it is supposed to be the replacement for the dioders. Dunno if anyone has mentioned that yet or no.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Went to Ikea yesterday, and one of the women working there told me they're coming out with new strip lighting next month that you'll be able to trim to the length you desire, and that it is supposed to be the replacement for the dioders. Dunno if anyone has mentioned that yet or no.

Thanks for the info!

Anybody tried the Dioder 4 piece color changing puck lights on a Detolf? I just bought a set to try them out but would like to find out from some one if they work OK before taking them out of the packaging.

Thanks

I bought those too and was waiting for my Darth Maul PF to come to use them... and now that he's here, I've opened them and I'm not impressed. They are pretty hot to the touch and they don't seem like illuminate as well as the dioder strips.

I bought those too and was waiting for my Darth Maul PF to come to use them... and now that he's here, I've opened them and I'm not impressed. They are pretty hot to the touch and they don't seem like illuminate as well as the dioder strips.

Did you install them in a cabinet? Your description of the lights is what I was afraid of.

Did you install them in a cabinet? Your description of the lights is what I was afraid of.
Not the best photo, but the Besta on the left. I had position them really oddly too, to try and illuminate Maul the best... I plan on buying RGB LEDs at some point to replace the pucks.
fe7b74fd8eee5f70007160a8e80f5393.jpg

Not the best photo, but the Besta on the left. I had position them really oddly too, to try and illuminate Maul the best... I plan on buying RGB LEDs at some point to replace the pucks.
fe7b74fd8eee5f70007160a8e80f5393.jpg

Thanks for the pic. The strip lights look much better IMO. I won't bother installing mine and look for something better

Back