Kick Out The Gams!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow toy lovers.

Like a lot of you, I'm infatuated with the creatures of Chalmun's Cantina and Jabba's Palace. I was pretty bummed out when I got my hands on the Sideshow Gammorean guards though. I like my figures to be as posable as possible. So I was thinking about making a fat figure on top of a normal body to get it to move more freely.

I was thinking about ultimately using some liquid latex on a body glove on top of a figure. Kinda like a fat suit with skin above it. First though the figure needed legs and arms with girth. So the first step was to make an enlarged knee cap and elbow using magic sculpt. It dried pretty well and was gorilla glued to the body's caps. These are a few WIP pics.

IMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1896.JPG

IMG_1898.JPG

The fat of the body is going to be cotton balls and I've made the body glove sleeves out of pantyhose.

IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1899.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

I'm planning on making three guards unique to each other. So I took a course on mold casting and made three copies of the SS Gams head. I gave one a slash across the face and modified their faces a bit to give them different personalities. This is gonna be a super fun project.

IMG_1915.JPG

The skin is going to be made using Mold Builder. It's a kind of liquid latex that dries a little darker than it is in the container.

IMG_1917.JPG

Here's where I'm at now.

IMG_1916.JPG

So here's the next step in progress pictures. It's coming out pretty well. I need to find a better shade of green but this will suffice as a base. I used rubber bands atop of the latex and painted over them to show veins on their muscles.

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

So after I stuffed the sleeves with cotton and covered them with latex, they were incredibly hard to move. So new strategy- I did made some papier-mâché fat blocks on the arms and legs of a few Sideshow bodies, then covered them with nylon pantyhose. The next step is to mix a good olive green paint with my liquid latex and paint on the skin. Then they should be able to pose!

Cotton applied to the body first.

IMG_0493.jpg

Then papier-mâchéd until hardened. The paint and latex worked on the torso but it doesn't need to be as mobile as the rest of the body.

IMG_0494.jpg

Here the limbs are dry and he's able to pose. Next is skin!

IMG_0495.jpg

Haha this is going to look great! Thanks for the update! I can’t wait to see more pics

Total success. The guys all kept original movement with a new rubbery skin on top of the joints. I intentionally kept some imperfections in the skin as I like them to look more “Henson shop” than exactly like each other. And of course the torsos were test grounds to see how things might later and I’m about to cover that part up with clothing anyways. Here’s a look. Next up is painting the heads and feet to match the olive skin tone.

D151042D-C501-49C5-B145-B91B42477651.jpg

0EDEB957-2DC6-47DB-90E1-05FAF039FCF9.jpg

676F01A6-3EC2-4F97-A3BF-A7D02AAFCA4A.jpg

Haha those are so awesome! I love the Henson effect, it’s perfect in its imperfections. Thanks for sharing, I love these updates

The costumes are fitting pretty great! Plus I got some of their weaponry and gauntlets cast. I don’t have the shoulder armor or the belt but I’ll see if I can get someone to lend me one so I can cast the pieces.

33D96EE0-2B60-4653-B43F-8DE1F3674896.jpg

36E30CAE-7B6F-4A6D-8F85-16B5E3695295.jpg

702DBF94-4EA2-45D0-A0B2-4499FBD733C8.jpg

Yeah GG, the open mouth was the smallest one but I’m kinda digging it. I want them all to be a little different from each other. That’s why one is a little thinner, and they all have random scars, open mouths, slashed horns and etc. Once their painted I’m gonna break out the big guns and really show how cool and different they can look. They legs aren’t attached to the feet but they will be once painted. Here’s some updated pics!

BCA69EF9-9B4F-4109-BC92-5F608B85B724.jpg

A41AC0B5-25E5-439C-BD08-EE5D3BD11C40.jpg

6FCF7546-1251-43BD-966F-F572342EB57D.jpg

Back