JURASSIC PARK

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's kinda the problem with having so many licenses, certain licenses are getting the red-headed step-child treatment (IMO).

Unfortunately your right.

JP is a good license but with so many other items PLUS all the stuff that SS is now distributing, it's tough not only for SS to produce new items but tough on us as consumers to try to buy eveything.

That would be a pretty lousey effort by Sideshow if that was the case

I won't blame them if that's the case. The Rex dio's been available since February and isn't even on low quantity alert. The total ES of the piece, both editions, is 1150 and they can't sell out of them, and to me, it's not for lack of quality in the piece, it looks great, I just don't think there's a strong collecting market for high end JP pieces. If this line doesn't go beyond the first dio, I attribute it all to lack of interest and can't fault SSC for not wanting to put money into a line that won't sell.

Yea I suppose your right if you can't make a profit and there is no market for these collectibles I see no reason to have them produced

JP is a good license but with so many other items PLUS all the stuff that SS is now distributing, it's tough not only for SS to produce new items but tough on us as consumers to try to buy eveything.

That's the big factor. SSC can produce plenty, I don't think there's an issue with resources. The trouble is, as much as it's about the work, it's about the $$$ and when certain lines take off and others don't get as much a following, it starts looking smarter to put your efforts into the successes. Sometimes lack of success is on them, like the slow pace of the LOTR 1/6 line, but othertimes, and I'm glad they do it, they gamble on licenses and in competition with other things, they don't work. JP hasn't been around in theaters for like a decade, and it's been 15 years since the first film. It's hard to compete in a market with so many current properties thriving.

I'd be interested in seeing a 1/6 Dr. Grant. Maybe Hot Toys can acquire part of the license to make articulated raptors?

Perhaps if they wanted it. I almost don't see HT pursuing the property though.

For 1/6, JP is useless, a few humans and a handful of dinosaurs just barely bigger than a human, it's not going to do well. The dinosaurs are the big draw. If HT was to succeed with a JP license, it'd be snap kits, small, Star Wars sized figures of humans and dinos, where a correctly scaled Rex and other larger dinos would be more the size of a traditional 1/6 figure.

I really hope they continue this line, I bought the Trex vs raptors diorama without a seconds hesitation.

It was supposed to ship in Aug, but got delayed til Sept. Now I should have the Samaritan and this dio shipping on the same day!

I really hope they continue this line, I bought the Trex vs raptors diorama without a seconds hesitation.

It was supposed to ship in Aug, but got delayed til Sept. Now I should have the Samaritan and this dio shipping on the same day!

Being a huge JP fan I would of jumped on the diorama also, but I just can't get over the rounded teeth on the T-Rex..What was so hard for SS to make the teeth sharp as knives like they are supposed to be??

I won't blame them if that's the case. The Rex dio's been available since February and isn't even on low quantity alert. The total ES of the piece, both editions, is 1150 and they can't sell out of them, and to me, it's not for lack of quality in the piece, it looks great, I just don't think there's a strong collecting market for high end JP pieces.

Sorry to say but to me it is.
When handling a licence with so many generic beasts, people want the real deal (aka something from the SWS molds) or, if not available, a VERY close resculpt of it. There's plenty of reference in the SWS book alone, so I for one really don't see the appeal to buy some random dinosaurs with the wrong color scheme and wrong anatomies for a JP piece.
Almost every statue that comes out of the pipeline today is praised upon as a phenomenal sculpt (judging from detail etc.), but when everything is so great Sideshow has to try harder to differentiate stuff.

Saw those too. It wasn't just a bust replica, but was rather the actual animatronic head of the female Velociraptor from Jurassic Park III. They also had several SWS maquettes including the baby T.rex and Stego from TLW. The most memorable auction item, though, was easily the male T.rex head from TLW - selling for $47,500.

The market is there for licensed skulls, 1/6th dinosaurs, maquettes, prop replicas.

Dioramas that aren't really scenes from the movies? No. WTF Sideshow!!

The dio is ok, but yes we need maquettes and at least movie accurate dinos. Which is different that scientifically correct dinos.

Back