John Carpenters The THING gets "companion piece?"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Carpenter is my favorite director of all time. I have his movies, read his book and I totally love his remake of the Thing. I personally have no gripes with this new upcoming remake. If it flops it'll make John's movie look that much better and if it succeeds then we're all in for a good time at the movies.

foolkiller said:
I love the original thing and I'm not a horror movie fan. I don't like the idea of a remak but I could see a sequel that picked up whether the original left off. Macready and Childs in the snow waiting each other out. They definitely leave it open for a potenial sequel.

also there's a video game (multi platform i think) that takes place right after the movie. sheds a little light on things. probably not as much as the comics tho, but it's a decent vid game.

I may be talking out of my arse here, but you CAN'T remake The Thing. It's like remaking a Kurosawa movie. A homage to The Thing, in a different setting, with tight story/editing, sure, I'll watch it, but it won't ever top the original!

Amanaman said:
I may be talking out of my arse here, but you CAN'T remake The Thing. It's like remaking a Kurosawa movie. A homage to The Thing, in a different setting, with tight story/editing, sure, I'll watch it, but it won't ever top the original!

The last homage to The Thing I remember seeing was The Faculty and I would really rather forget that ever came out.

Amanaman said:

As good as the The Thing is, it was a remake of the The Thing from Another World, so I don't see why it can't be remade again. Remakes have no affect on the works before them.

Rhodes said:
The last homage to The Thing I remember seeing was The Faculty and I would really rather forget that ever came out.

The Faculty was more of a remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, prolly the most mimicked film ever.

decadentdave said:
That's how I feel about Battlestar Galactica. Has NOTHING to do with the original except in name only. Should have called it something else instead of leeching off of an established and recognizeable franchise to achieve success.

And yet if it was called something else it would be criticised as a BSG ripoff.

in the case of BSG I don't have a problem with the "reimagining" to update it to the 90's. I think its a little harsh to say it has nothing to do with the orginal. Whilst alot of those old shows have great nostalgia value even the good ones appear a bit campy or cheesy to our modern tastes.

Remakes are nothing knew btw.

Check out "Last Man Standing" which is a remake of "A Fistful of Dollars" which is a remake of "Yojimbo". As long as they do something different with the core idea I'm in favour of it as opposed to the dreadful remake attempts that are almost identical shot for shot - like the Omen - which add nothing.

LordAzrael said:
And yet if it was called something else it would be criticised as a BSG ripoff.

in the case of BSG I don't have a problem with the "reimagining" to update it to the 90's. I think its a little harsh to say it has nothing to do with the orginal. Whilst alot of those old shows have great nostalgia value even the good ones appear a bit campy or cheesy to our modern tastes.

And yet even the original Battlestar was criticized as a ripoff of Star Wars. Change the names and establish a new mythology and it becomes something entirely different and, oh my god, "original!" :idea

Problem is, nobody wants to take a chance on an original idea anymore which is why Hollywood is content with re-making and re-imagining everything it has already made. Ron Moore could have had his own original franchise ala JMS and Babylon 5 but instead he just re-worked Glen Larson's into what he wanted it to be. He Trekified it. That is a travesty.

Amanaman said:

You know the irony here. Kurosawa's "Throne of Blood" is a remake of Macbeth..........

Yeah, I'm in the camp that thinks this is a terrible idea. If they did set it on an island I bet Hollywood would make sure there'll be a bunch of teens there in bikinis and a upbeat ending. :monkey2

The original was alright, Carpenter's remake is simply amazing. If they made a sequel in Antarctica I'd be less opposed to a new film.

And the new Battlestar Galactica is amazing television. The characters and plots are complex and each show is tense. I know Ronald D. Moore would do the Carpenter film well, but the producers might insist on teenagers in bikinis. :banghead

Heh, you guys are showing your age! I wasn't aware The Thing was a direct remake of something, but it wouldn't surprise me, in a way everything's a remake of something prior. But you can't top the 'tied to this ****ing couch' line.

Back