JND Studios: LOTR - Arwen 1:3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wallet can breath a sigh of relief is this will be the standard of their LOTR sculpts. This is just not good.
It’s a great, realistic looking statue of a frowny woman with huge lips. It’s not Arwen. JND JNDied on their arse with this one.
Died on their arse - love it. A good Brit expression. Fits perfectly!! :lol

This likeness is not really that far off. Better lighting and a few tweaks could fix it. The accuracy is not radically different from all those terrible Harrison Ford sculpts that everyone seems to love. Most are not that good, but they are not as criticized.

She needs a minor adjustment to her hairline, lips and jawline. The eyes need just a little less liner on the bottom lid. These should be a quick fix.

Changing the lighting would radically effect the image.

I have to agree about the outfit though.

I'm not sure what the whole drama is about, Arwen looks just fine, what would improve likeness imo is deeper blue eyes and slightly rounder eyebrows. Was that video necessary? No. Has it changed my mind about JND? No. If I don't like something I just don't buy it, as easy as this sounds, everybody needs to chill and stop attacking each other, this hobby needs to bring joy not drama.

Actual thing I'd change is her outfit. They should have used the look with a headpiece.

I'm not sure what the whole drama is about, Arwen looks just fine, what would improve likeness imo is deeper blue eyes and slightly rounder eyebrows. Was that video necessary? No. Has it changed my mind about JND? No. If I don't like something I just don't buy it, as easy as this sounds, everybody needs to chill and stop attacking each other, this hobby needs to bring joy not drama.

Actual thing I'd change is her outfit. They should have used the look with a headpiece.
Good post!
Exactly, all points checked, well said!

Final production piece. I think she turned out great and looks to be an improvement over the prototype unless I'm misremembering what that looked like.

448015233_767753318871121_2271553310501011086_n.jpg

448019536_767753022204484_9011286439197663885_n.jpg

448159837_767753358871117_1032826951437372842_n.jpg

448019509_767752982204488_2457682666037856469_n.jpg

448029777_767753345537785_28259783005103182_n.jpg

447836600_767753398871113_6624025339912314181_n.jpg

447861545_767753422204444_5155578288659829988_n.jpg

447786741_767752848871168_7866618836342865941_n.jpg

Attachments

• 447786741_767752848871168_7866618836342865941_n.jpg
    447786741_767752848871168_7866618836342865941_n.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 0
As a casual LOTR viewer, I've not really paid much attention to this release before but wow, to my untrained eyes (when it comes to Liv Tyler's likeness), this looks like a beautiful statue of her character.

Last edited:
It turned out nicely, its a shame the response JND initially gave after the backlash of this piece, as I still have no interest in ever supporting them after that.

what was their response?
Nothing bad. I think the ppl on this board made their statement out to be worse than it was.

Here's exactly what they said:
Now, will there be any revisions to the face? We get this a lot. We hear you and we are mindful of the requests that we get but you also have to understand that hundreds of people have put this product on pre-order because they liked it. They were happy with the outcome and what if we made the changes requested by some and it upsets the others who actually pre-ordered? It's a huge dilemma. That's why I am not able to confirm or deny that changes will be made.

The irony about this sort of thing is that Daniel wasn't wrong. They ended up changing the sculpt on Reeve Superman b/c of so many requests to do so, and the new sculpt arguably isn't as good as the prototype sculpt. And you have so many ppl NOW wishing they would've left it as is instead of changing it acting like they always liked the original sculpt :lol :slap They should've stuck to their original plans and only improved the hair like they originally said they would instead of doing a whole new sculpt. But, I digress.

Maybe some folks take issue with what was said at the beginning of the Arwen response video:
Of course many people loved it as I did and it did sell out at the end of the day. But, I guess it just goes to show you how people's perceptions differ. It's just amazing you know there were some people who thought JND Superman looked nothing like Henry Cavill. How do you not see Henry Cavill there? And you might think it's the difference between seeing it for real and seeing it through a screen. But, I thought Superman looked great in person and on screen. So, I don't know. I don't know what it is. Don't ask me. People are just gonna have to agree to disagree and stick with what they like.

Last edited:
Nothing bad. I think the ppl on this board made their statement out to be worse than it was.

Here's exactly what they said:
Now, will there be any revisions to the face? We get this a lot. We hear you and we are mindful of the requests that we get but you also have to understand that hundreds of people have put this product on pre-order because they liked it. They were happy with the outcome and what if we made the changes requested by some and it upsets the others who actually pre-ordered? It's a huge dilemma. That's why I am not able to confirm or deny that changes will be made.

The irony about this sort of thing is that Daniel wasn't wrong. They ended up changing the sculpt on Reeve Superman b/c of so many requests to do so, and the new sculpt arguably isn't as good as the prototype sculpt. And you have so many ppl NOW wishing they would've left it as is instead of changing it acting like they always liked the original sculpt :lol :slap They should've stuck to their original plans and only improved the hair like they originally said they would instead of doing a whole new sculpt.

Maybe some folks take issue with what was said at the beginning of the Arwen response video:
Of course many people loved it as I did and it did sell out at the end of the day. But, I guess it just goes to show you how people's perceptions differ. It's just amazing you know there were some people who thought JND Superman looked nothing like Henry Cavill. How do you not see Henry Cavill there? And you might think it's the difference between seeing it for real and seeing it through a screen. But, I thought Superman looked great in person and on screen. So, I don't know. I don't know what it is. Don't ask me. People are just gonna have to agree to disagree and stick with what they like.

Thanks. Yeah I don't see anything wrong with their replies.

It's nice, but the likeness isn't as strong as it should be and tbh for the price - it doesn't look worth it imo.

what was their response?
One issue I remember was I think JND made negative comments about Batman Statue Collector (referred to as BSC sometimes) for his criticisms, I can't remember exactly what they said, but people were upset by JND singling out a particular collector (maybe someone else could fill in the details).

edit: I found one mention of it here by generalszabo, apparently JND called BSC a "vicious anti-JND person" lol
https://www.collectorfreaks.com/thr...-league-superman.247475/page-14#post-10853842

Last edited:
Definitely looks better now.
I’d never get anything more than the 1/6 Arwens I currently have but I could always be roped in with a decent 1/3 JND Aragorn.
Yea, I’d love to see their take on Aragorn. However, I don’t think it would beat InArt’s proto. That said, I would probably still buy it if it was good enough as I’ve always loved having larger format representations for LOTR characters. I would’ve gone with the infinity 1/2 scale statues of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli if I had the space

Yeah, that is pretty.

I really want JND to make a 1/3 scale that I simply can’t refuse just so I can have the unboxing experience.

It’s long since a HT wowed me. I swiftly pop figures out of the box and display them with almost no reference anymore. Certain characters are simply obligatory purchases.
Weta statues are gorgeous but will never have the same appeal and mixed media pieces, and the InArt wonder can only last so long before I need a more luxury product to blow my socks off.

I guess that’s one of the main reasons I’m giving the Kojin Joker a chance. I want to be wowed by something new.

Clearly I’m primed to purchase a JND statue now. I just need the right character to show up with a sculpt that actually photographs well, which appears to be very few unfortunately.

Definitely looks better than the prototype (but again that could be JND's dodgy photos), but it's not at their higher level likenesses. Around the Pattinson level Bruce Wayne.

No doubt, like most of JND's stuff though, it will probably look a million times better in hand.

Actual production piece from a collector in Korea:

IMG_3771.jpeg

IMG_3772.jpeg

IMG_3773.jpeg

IMG_3774.jpeg

Overall a gorgeous statue, beautiful rendition of Liv as Arwen.
That peeking elven ear is a cherry on top! ❤️

Back