JND Studios 1/6 scale Heath Ledger Joker figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trevor Grove is definitely a master at capturing likenesses no doubt about it. I think where he often fails though, is capturing the realism along with the likeness. His sculpts tend to lack that extra bit of "HD" detailing that we see on more modern sculpts these days in my opinion. He still seems to be a couple years back in that respect of the medium.
His NECA work is fine to me and all the stuff I have that he's done is first rate. On a head that size there is all the detail you need. Some of his earlier stuff suffered during production. The wax masters of his SSC stuff are way nicer than what we eventually got.

Earlier today, I saw a video review on YouTube of an unlicensed 1/12 Ledger Joker by a company called Filix and I thought both sculpts on that were better in terms of likeness (not necessarily paint) than many larger offerings I'd seen. I won't link to it as I don't think it'd be appropriate on this thread. It'll come up if you search under 1/12 Joker.

His NECA work is fine to me and all the stuff I have that he's done is first rate. On a head that size there is all the detail you need. Some of his earlier stuff suffered during production. The wax masters of his SSC stuff are way nicer than what we eventually got.
That's fine. I'm not trying to argue nor say that he's a bad sculptor. I think he's very skilled as I've said previously. I just think, even for the NECA scale, he still lacks a bit more of the higher-res detailing we see at similar scales from other companies like what DAMToys and DID are doing with their 1/12 lines. Maybe it's a budgeting thing and he can only go so far. I would love to see what he could do nowadays though if he wasn't restricted by the smaller scale to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
I need to see both of those Jokers together... please.

I'm a man of my words...

P1120293-2.jpg

From JND... This is the gold standard. How a mass produced item can come out this good is beyond me, not a drop in quality at all, It's absolutely phenomenal.

I'm very confident the quality will remain for their first 1/6th, they've got a lot to prove, can't imagine they let that one slip through their fingers.

edit: then again the best JND have never been from Kojun... Edit again, comparison picScreenshot_20231222-091751.png

FB_IMG_1703233850384.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a man of my words...

View attachment 679827

I think the smiling one is really nice, but, neither of them screams Ledger on further viewing. To me, a likeness has to be instant. You look and they're there. What has shocked me in recent times is that cheaper and smaller figures have given me that instant hit and larger more expensive figures haven't. The Black Series OT Vaders have always impressed me as they are the only ones that look like Dave Prowse is in the costume. It's the same with '87 Predators, only the NECA Ultimate Jungle Hunter looks to me like Kevin Peter Hall in the suit. I've looked at high end statues, HT and Mezco, but, nothing else delivers that hit of "That's the Predator!"

Someone somewhere will inevitably make a Ledger Joker where I go "That's him!", I just haven't seen it yet.

Remember this detail because InArt’s proto had a realistically unpainted lower eyelid rim as well but then the figure released and it was entirely black.
View attachment 679950

Next level pricing means I finally want to get a fleshy rim job!

View attachment 679951

The 1/3 Joker, Pattinson and Bale Batmen all have their lower eyelid left as flesh colour if that helps.

The 1/3 Joker, Pattinson and Bale Batmen all have their lower eyelid left as flesh colour if that helps.
It might help.
Do we know if the 1/ figures will be produced by the same team who work on the larger scale pieces?

I believe InArt is a totally separate team under the Queen Studios umbrella who exclusively work on the 1/6 line.
Is Kojun Works a new production team or just the new branding for 1/6?

It might help.
Do we know if the 1/ figures will be produced by the same team who work on the larger scale pieces?

I believe InArt is a totally separate team under the Queen Studios umbrella who exclusively work on the 1/6 line.
Is Kojun Works a new production team or just the new branding for 1/6?

I just know that a year or two ago they sent an international call out for artists to join their studio as JND studio. I'm pretty sure Kojun Works is just a brand of the 1/6 and not a new sub section of JND - they're still all using the same paint technique that Kojun developed regardless. Hair will all be in-house also. I think unless explicitly stated this will go through all the same teams that produce for 1/3.

I preordered the single figure with onesixthkit. Also have the new Hot Toys artisan on preorder.

Im really looking forward to this though. I have the Inarr one and was unhappy withe hair. They added to much on top of the sculpted hair under all that hair.

So I ripped the hair, trimmed the sculpted hair and rehaired.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20240109_084259.jpg
    20240109_084259.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240109_084328.jpg
    20240109_084328.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240109_084313.jpg
    20240109_084313.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240109_084249.jpg