James Cameron's AVATAR discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: OFFICIAL James Cameron's AVATAR MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

Here's a first look at the Mattel figure based on Sam Worthington's Jake Sully Na'vi avatar courtesy of CHUD.com:

Yeah. That's him alright. A little plain, but not terrible.

I got tickets to go see the 16 minutes of footage in 3d on august 21st, avatar day. The trailer comes out thursday according to apple.com

I got tickets to go see the 16 minutes of footage in 3d on august 21st, avatar day. The trailer comes out thursday according to apple.com

I've been trying all damn day at work to get tickets through the official site, but so far it's been a no go.

No amount of technology (CGI) , will make a bad story good!!! Are the designs ground breaking... No. I'll reserve judgement till after the flick.. but I don't believe in the hype... and frankly am sick of all the CGI in movies today.

I'm pissed at James Cameron now. Not a SINGLE showing in Utah? What gives? We even got a Dark Knight screening from the virals and there were less of those than these Avatar screenings. I have a theater with an IMAX screen literally 5 minutes away. And this isn't a little mom and pop theater. It is a HUGE theater. When the second Harry Potter film came out, it sold more tickets and made more money than any other theater in the WORLD. Yet, it isn't worth Cameron's time apparently.

And to make things worse is how some CITIES have multiple theaters and yet Utah doesn't get a SINGLE THEATER! :banghead

To Cameron's defense, Fox is the one heading up the marketing. He and his staff may have thought this Avatar day would be a good idea but I seriously doubt he or his staff had anything to do with it. It stinks that you cant go but at least the trailer will be released Thursday on apple trailers

This is the movie I am watting for.
I cant wait any more for the new Trailer !! COME ON THURSDAY !

This movie will be epic in a grand scale.

Crap...
missed out on the IMAX tickets...
oh well...
That action figure looks pretty bad...
I'm a little worried about the creature design...

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/iYBRFJ9RArc&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/iYBRFJ9RArc&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

:D:D

a friend of mine was at sdcc09. he spoke to some people who'd come out of the footage screening, and apparently they were less than impressed. in fact some of them even said it was "crap".

while i find that hard to believe, it IS a slightly worrying sign which adds to my overall feeling about this project. the story details that we've heard haven't exactly been very interesting. and the na'vi character design is a little uninspired to me, so far.

still, cameron hasn't let me down so far. i've even liked his less beloved films like the abyss and... gasp!... titanic. :D yes, i loved that movie. so sue me.

The toy has been confirmed to be a fake. That youtube trailer was greatness, I saw it when it went up yesterday and my brother posted it on the marketsaw blog where you can get all your Avatar info before anywhere else.

I will let you guys know what i think when I see the 3d preview this friday in Imax, but im sure you will be able to judge somewhat for yourself from the trailer. I have always thought James Cameron's movies have not only stood the test of time but been innovative and unique. This may have the best CGI and 3D ever put on screen, but what Cameron says time and time again is the most important element is the story. Apparently its a great story from the parts i have heard.

No, it wont be Star Wars- it will be Avatar. Its own franchise with its own following.
One thing many may not know is that James created an entire world around this movie (much like George Lucas with Star Wars)- There are bugs, plants, and physics he and his team have created that only exist in this world. For instance, there are mountains that float on the planet Pandora. The reason is because of the ore that has magnetic properties in them, thus they are forced up into the sky. That ore also happens to be why the humans are there to begin with-they want to mine this mineral.

It sounds like something way different and if you have visited Avatarmovie.com you have most likely noticed a small part of the soundtrack written by James Horner. I feel this will be a great movie, possibly franchise but we will all have to wait and see. Hopefully hype wont ruin it.

Just remember, when you see the planet of Pandora on the trailer or imax, remember that everything you are seeing is not really there-then you will appreciate the cg they are able to pull off now.

Re: AVATAR

Is anyone going to the IMAX screening of the Avatar trailer on August 21 ? Its suppose to a 16 minute extended trailer. Al so regular theaters will be showing a shorter version of the trailer

Re: AVATAR

Is anyone going to the IMAX screening of the Avatar trailer on August 21 ? Its suppose to a 16 minute extended trailer. Al so regular theaters will be showing a shorter version of the trailer

Oh boy I'm still royally pissed over this. I tried for nearly five hours to get two free passes/rsvps to the Avatar Day extended trailer screening putting up with Fox's ^^^^ty website which crashed and was down (funny that this is a $200 million dollar film and they only spend a couple of hundred dollars on their website) repeatedly only to find out it wasn't playing in my hometown, St. Louis. But it is playing halfway across the state in two IMAX theatres in Independence, MO. There ain't jack going on in Independence, Fox. WTF? St. Louis is a great town for film making attracting the Hollywood A list as we just had George Clooney come through for his shoot of the movie UP IN THE AIR which is Jason Reitman's follow up to THANK YOU FOR SMOKING. And last year Matt Damon and Steven Soderburgh were in town for their next collaboration. Once again, WTF? If Dreamworks can put two of their biggest stars in movies filmed in this town, why can't Fox muster up one lousy 20 minute screening in the IMAX here. There are hundreds if not thousands of Jim Cameron fans here in St. Louis who should have been given the opportunity to watch this screening. Instead what was one of the coolest promotions for a film in recent memory has become a big eyesore. And it's not just St. Louis who got screwed. Whole states were left out whose major cities have IMAX theatres and apparently all of Europe and Asia got left out as well. So this was supposed to be worldwide, huh? Worldwide doesn't mean, the East and West coasts of the US, London, England, Montreal, Toronto, and Calgary kids...

Oh well, AVATAR won't be as good as DISTRICT 9 anyway...

Back