Is there a "rule of thumb" for lip color?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerh

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi!

I tried to SEARCH this but I kept getting errors (Like, code errors with the site)

Is there a rule of thumb for lip color? I mean something like "Slightly darker skin color with a touch of red" or something similar??

I tried painting lips and it ended up reminding me of a time I got punched in my mouth. :)

Thank you!

I always mix a tiny bit of red to my wash of skin color for lips. After a few coats should look good.

I always mix a tiny bit of red to my wash of skin color for lips. After a few coats should look good.

Yeah, I do something similar to this... you have to remember that lips are just an extension of the person's skin, so the skin-tone should be part of the color just with a bit more red.

I will generally add red to the fleshtone and apply a coat, then after that has dried hit it with a drybrushing of the skin-tone to help blend it back into the rest of the head... that tends to help keep from getting the "lipstick" look that plagues so many heads:

fightc_zps12345e11.jpg

Once I started trying to paint them, I was actually surprised at how little lips sometimes reflected general skin tone, and really look like a kind of lipstick if you look closely at it. I guess I never had a reason to really dwell on that before. But it does vary quite a bit from person to person, and based on lighting. And too much pink definitely is distracting, and makes your brain think it looks like lipstick, though something more red or purple may not have the same effect.

Keep in mind though that the upper lip mus ALWAYS be darker than the lower lip. Makes sense when you think about it, no?

I'm not sure what you mean bud. The lips are different on everyone like someone stated earlier. I think you mean cause of the shadow on the upper lip maybe. The sculpt should do that naturally it depends on the lighting but I think that's what your referring to.

Yes but regardless of color or sculpt, the upper lip should be a hint darker for a more natural look.

I also use a little scarlet blended in with the skintone colour I have used to make pinky flesh tone. I have toned it down if neccessary with a light wash of skin tone to blend it in.

Hear's a neat fact, not always true; but in most cases. A person's color lips is the same on their nips. :lol

Back