Is Sideshow working towards improving the production figure paint apps?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jesseawilson said:
And yet it still looks like crap if you ask me. The SS luke it 10 times the figure the Attakus is and costs less......

Jesse

Jesse..my point was that Dave made a misleading statement about
Attakus. I own that piece of "crap" along with 18 other Attakus statues.
ALL of their paint apps are very high quality. Much better than SS and
I have purchased every LOTR product SS/Weta produced. We're talking
painting not sculpting.

I think there is a tendency on these boards to call something "a piece of crap" just because something that is in a lot of ways superior comes along.

Just because the SSC Luke looks good (and it does), doesn't mean the Medicom, Attakus, or what-have-you is garbage.

I think we can have much more productive and positive conversation if we keep comments like that, designed solely to make others feel bad about their purchase, out.

:lecture So there.

Customikey said:
I think there is a tendency on these boards to call something "a piece of crap" just because something that is in a lot of ways superior comes along.

Just because the SSC Luke looks good (and it does), doesn't mean the Medicom, Attakus, or what-have-you is garbage.

I think we can have much more productive and positive conversation if we keep comments like that, designed solely to make others feel bad about their purchase, out.

:lecture So there.

I totally agree. That's always been my #1 complaint about the way some people post. All they want to do is call something you like or something they feel is inferior crap. You can say you don't like something and have a discussion about it without resorting to child like name calling.

SpenK said:
WRONG.................They Are Painted In CHINA my Friend..............:eek:

No, they're painted in France. I don't know where you got that info from. Here are pictures to prove my point. Somehow I doubt the guy is sitting in Beijing, I think he might be a little out of place. ;)

donkey51lk.jpg

shrek122hy.jpg

EVILFACE said:
Yea, I will have nightmares for sure now.

Painted in France, China, Africa, Antartica blah blah blah.

LOL Me 2. Between that and this horrible cold I got. I'm really not feeling good.:wacky

Sorry, I've never seen Attakus statues except briefly at shows, I was going by first impressions of the paint. Or perhaps their human sculpts threw me off...

So which would you choose if you had to: an excellent sculpt with paint problems, or an excellent paint job on a flawed sculpt?

For me, the sculpt comes first. For example: I don't care how good the paint job is on the Attakus Obi-Wan, I am not happy with the likeness and would never buy him, at any price. Their human likenesses just don't seem to cut the mustard.

At least Attakus gives their painters real chairs...

tomandshell said:
So which would you choose if you had to: an excellent sculpt ....., or an excellent paint job....?

For these 1/6 SW figures, can't we have both? :(

tomandshell said:

Yeah can Sideshow hire the painting company Attakus uses? I have a hard time believing professional painters enjoy sitting on crates!:horror

JustinLuck said:
Yeah can Sideshow hire the painting company Attakus uses?

I think Attakus paints everything in-house. The room that the painter is in looks very similar to the room where many of the statues are scupted.

People complain about the high price of the Attakus pieces, but it is due to their paint process. They have the best paint, but they also have some of the most expensive products. It's sort of a trade-off.

tomandshell said:
So which would you choose if you had to: an excellent sculpt with paint problems, or an excellent paint job on a flawed sculpt?

For me, the sculpt comes first. For example: I don't care how good the paint job is on the Attakus Obi-Wan, I am not happy with the likeness and would never buy him, at any price. Their human likenesses just don't seem to cut the mustard.

I made this choice every time I bought Hasbro. Since I paint anyway, I don't mind a bad paint job so much. I can always fix it (see my thread in the custom galleries). For example, Michael Crawford's pic for worst male figure 12" was Hasbro's Darth Sidious. I'll admit, the figure does look shoddy, repainted however, the sculpt might very well be a realscan.

Having said that, I've always thought Sideshow was predominantly above the norm with regards to their paint work. They did more than just paint the eyes and hair, and the skin work was tailored to each character, not just some standard paint job for all.
Slip ups? Yeah, sometimes. But the work has been fantastic on the average.
Just one collectors opinion.

Those hi-res pics, in the other thread, definitely show off (with the exception of Obiwan's eyes) the artistic skills of the people who painted those prototype figures!

How close will the production figures look like them? Will they be correctly matted and glossy in all the right places? Right now, they look perfect and I'd hate to see them get ruined in production :(

elwood49 said:
People complain about the high price of the Attakus pieces, but it is due to their paint process. They have the best paint, but they also have some of the most expensive products. It's sort of a trade-off.

Well, this depends on where you live, In the EU, there is not a real big difference between the Sideshow PF and Attakus prices - because of the additonal VAT and sometimes pretty steep shipping you have to deal with when buying Sideshow pieces outside of the US. In my opinion, when you pay $300 for some statue, the paint job should be (close to) flawless, regardless of the manufacturer :peace

Darklord Dave said:
Sorry, I've never seen Attakus statues except briefly at shows, I was going by first impressions of the paint. Or perhaps their human sculpts threw me off...

No problem.

tomandshell said:

I agree the SS Obi is the best human sculpt, IMO, that SS has
done so far in the SW PF line. My Attakus Obi likeness is not very good
but then I'm collecting that line so there will not be another Obi version.

Back