Is Sideshow working towards improving the production figure paint apps?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinLuck

Super Freak
Reaction score
It is a true shame seeing such great looking painted prototype figures such as 1/4 Han Solo and then seeing the disappointing photos of the end product. Is there anything that can be done to improve the paint jobs on the mass produced figures? I have a feeling that a lot people (like myself) are newcomers to Sideshow and are expecting the paint application of the 1/6 Star Wars figures to look as good as they do in their prototype photos. Is this not possible at their current price point? Personally, I'd rather pay extra for a superb paint job than to pay the current price and be tricked into thinking I'm going to get something that I'm not.

I've got around 30 of their 1/6 figures and all of them have had paint apps I would consider at least equal to the prototype pics and in some cases (vampire Buffy) superior.

I have a lot of sideshow stuff and their paint ops are above average. There are definately some goofs, such as boromir and helm's deep and some of the later environments. As for Han, I have to reserve judgment until I see it in person, pictures posted does not necessarily depict what is seen in person. As far as 12" goes, sideshow has been consistently close to the prototype. One figure that I didn't like was anna valerious and her hair and squishy head look, but I kept the figure because it was a nice complement to van helsing since SS abandoned the line. 1/4's so far has also been very consistent. Some of the statues from weta had problems but that seemed to have readdressed by some of the new stuff that are arriving. PJ is great. I am waiting for Mumak.

Sideshow's paint apps are wonderful! I've only felt the need to paint maybe three or four out of all the figures I bought: Dracula, Pamela, and Hellboy come to mind. But for every Pamela, there's ten FVJ Jasons, five CSMs, and three glorious Jedi just waiting to ship.

I admit that I don't own any Sideshow figures yet. I am just going by the pics I've seen of Han Solo and of the X-file Mulder and Scully figures. And yes, I very much hope to be proved wrong! :D

review_pamv_1.jpg

73091_image05.jpg

Maybe you don't recognize her from her prototype pic?

Just remember--that's the exact same head sculpt. The difference is all in the paint.

Last edited:
OMG!!!, now that is what I am talking about. There is no question how significantly superior the paint job is in the prototype. Not only that, but the quality of the paint itself! Why the heck is the production paint so glossy? The colors are all off as well.

This review has a good summary of the problems between the prototype and the production version:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_013105a.htm

Sculpting - **1/2
I went back and forth on this particular category, sometimes going with three stars, sometimes with **1/2. Suffice to say that it's a very close call for me.

The sculpt has more definition than the recent POTA stuff, but still lacks some critical details that existed in the prototype. The wrinkled brow between the eyes is less noticeable, which softens the upper face, making the lower face look out of place. Rather than looking like an evil grimace, the expression looks like a woman trying to smile an hour after her botox appointment.

That's also due to the expression though, and she's got a grimacing, I'm going to gut you with a machete because you're a irresponsible teenager look. At least that's what they're going for, but how well they captured it might be dependent on whether you've actually seen someone looking like that in reality. If you have, you're probably dead.

I haven't, but I will admit that people in extreme situations often get the goofiest, silliest looking expressions on their faces. And to be honest, Betsy Palmer (who played Pam) isn't exactly Meryl Streep. After comparing between actual photos, and particularly the photo on the front of the box, I ended up going with the lower score though, and felt that the sculpt wasn't what it could have been.

I'm not sure what happened between the prototype and the final product, but the sculpt clearly suffered. The teeth aren't as sharp and defined, the hair has less detail, and even the eyes are off. It's too bad too, because the prototype came much closer to capturing the look of Mrs. Voorhees.

The hand sculpts work great with all the weapons, and she has well scaled hands for the female Sideshow body.

Paint - **
If you need any proof that matte finishes look better on face paint than gloss, simply compare the final product here with the prototype photo.

For some reason, the production piece has a glossy finish that matches the eyes, hair and mouth. There's no difference in any of them. The prototype had a nice matte finish on the face, with gloss in the mouth and eyes, and looks much more realistic.

On top of that, the skin tone on the face is very dark, and it looks like she's been hitting the tanning salon. The wash on the hair didn't work as well as expected, and the paint work on the eyebrows and eyes is disappointing as well.

The more I looked at this figure, the more the paint ops bugged me. The longer I stared, the more issues I found, and finally I just gave it up.

Last edited:
You can't take one of the worst examples and present it as being typical of the quality of Sideshow's 1/6 paint apps. Yes, there is a dud every now and then, but something like Pamela Voorhees is definitely the exception and not the rule.

And Pamela isn't really that bad in person, overall she is still a very nice figure and prolly the only time you will see her in 1/6th scale.

TheObsoleteMan said:
You can't take one of the worst examples and present it as being typical of the quality of Sideshow's 1/6 paint apps. Yes, there is a dud every now and then, but something like Pamela Voorhees is definitely the exception and not the rule.

I agree. On nearly all of SS stuff the final product is very very close if not exact to what we see in the prototype.

Sideshow's paint apps are really the only thing holding their lines down at this point.

Of course, the 1/6 collectors will say they're great, but as compared to what? Hasbro?

The 1/4 scale pieces and some LOTR pieces have differed tremendously from the prototype. Han and Sauron are 2 recent examples. Take a look at the SDCC pictures, and then the "in-hand" photos. I still haven't seen a Sauron that comes close to the one shown at ORC last year.

Attakus still sets the bar for paint apps. I hate having to always say this, but I collect SS and not Attakus before someone jumps on me (RodLonghi) about "protecting my investment.":rolleyes:

The Predator maquette had better have a Cinemaquette quality paint app, or mine is going back in favor of the Cinemaquette version. For $1k, I expect close to perfection.

elwood49 said:
Of course, the 1/6 collectors will say they're great, but as compared to what? Hasbro?
No, as compared to the prototype pics that Sideshow has on their website.

elwood49 said:
Sideshow's paint apps are really the only thing holding their lines down at this point.

I disagree but to each their own.

elwood49 said:

:rolleyes:

elwood49 said:
The 1/4 scale pieces and some LOTR pieces have differed tremendously from the prototype. Han and Sauron are 2 recent examples. Take a look at the SDCC pictures, and then the "in-hand" photos. I still haven't seen a Sauron that comes close to the one shown at ORC last year.

Actually I think the Sauron I have looks pretty close to what I saw at SDCC. Can't say about ORC but I know what I saw at SDCC is right there with what I see in my room all the time.

elwood49 said:
Attakus still sets the bar for paint apps. I hate having to always say this, but I collect SS and not Attakus before someone jumps on me (RodLonghi) about "protecting my investment.":rolleyes:

Well, I didn't think Attakus paint apps from what I saw at SDCC. I thought they looked as good as the SS stuff I saw but not better.

elwood49 said:
The Predator maquette had better have a Cinemaquette quality paint app, or mine is going back in favor of the Cinemaquette version. For $1k, I expect close to perfection.

Well, I really wasn't impressed with CM at SDCC. I thought there stuff looked ok at best.

I agree, Attakus does indeed have the best paint ops, their statues are flawless and glossy is where it should be. I buy them for that reason, attakus makes near perfect statues.

jlcmsu said:
I agree. On nearly all of SS stuff the final product is very very close if not exact to what we see in the prototype.

So most of their figures don't have the glossy finish? Can you name some examples where the production version was the same quality as prototype?

JustinLuck said:
So most of their figures don't have the glossy finish? Can you name some examples where the production version was the same quality as prototype?

For my money:
Kroenen, Original Freddy, FVJ Jason, FVJ Springwood Slasher Freddy, Vlad the Impaler, Blackbeard, Scarface, the entire Monty Python line.

So...so there! :fart

JustinLuck said:

Actually I don't think any of the 5 12" figures I have look glossy at all.

The glossy thing has been pretty rare in my experience. I can only recall Pamela and Van Helsing being glossy. Freddy is glossy, but that's because he's melty.

Back