Is Sideshow working towards improving the production figure paint apps?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Customikey said:
Sideshow's paint apps are wonderful!

Damn and blast... the Toy Gods must really hate me then as the majority of my Sideshow 12" figures, especially over the past 18 months or so, have had very average, to poor, paintjobs - obviously painted wrinkles, glassy-eyed stares and accursed glossy skin being the most common faults. Anna's zombie skin-tone and Mulder's drag queen eyeshadow and lippy were standout moments too.

Nick

In terms of paint applications, I think that Pammy is the only one I own at
1/6 scale that is really off, by and large I am pretty pleased with the paint on the 1/6 scale stuff, and I have gotten a pretty wide variety, from horror to buffy to python to hellboy and more. The only sculpt that was disappointing was Willow, given how awesome the proto pics looked. The final product was weirdly askew. The only LOTR item that had paint issues for me was the Theoden statue, everything else looked pretty great, and I have gotten all of the helms, busts, and statues. The Star Wars stuff looks great, and Aragorn looks pretty good too, if a little tan:naughty

I don't think you should have much to worry about for Luke, Anakin and Obi!

P.S. I repainted Abe Sapien, just giving some matte portions a gloss coat, to match the finish of the body of the figure, otherwise I have been really happy with Sideshow stuff!

My 2 cents :p,

I have over 175 SS 1/6 figures and I'd say that 90% of them have great paint ops. Every once in a while there is a figure that is released with subpar paint jobs but it's nothing common.

I think the reason some people feel that SS has bad paint ops is due to the fact that there were just a lot of figures released in the last 18 months with bad paint jobs. Last year was just a somewhat bad year for SS.

Overall though, I am quite pleased with SS's figures and look forward to more in '06. :joy

I was discussing this with a friend of mine and we both came to the realization that Sideshow has actually made it possible to own something as cool as a 1/4th scale figure or 25" statue at a price under $500.00. Sounds like a lot of money but if you've been collecting this stuff for as long as I have (close to 20 years) you'll know that that's how much it used to cost to get something of the quality of the Han Solo figure. And you'd be lucky if it was painted at all!

I'm not making an exuse for Sideshow, I'm just pointing out that though we still have a ways to go, we collectors have come a looooong way in a short number of years. I think it will only get better exponentially.:D

Well is Han and Luke really museum quality? Thye paint apps are horrible, and I dont think it has alot to do with money or cost. To me it seems the wrong colors are used (Hans red face) and how the paint is applied. Theres no excuse. A $300.00 Museum quality figure shouldn't have paint problems. The problem has to be fixed. The sculpts come out great and the paint ruins it.

I have problems with Han's paint apps, but they are far from "horrible". And my Luke looks great. They are striving to do the best that can be done on a mass produced product and some will be better than others.

I would rather pay extra if it could guarantee that the figure would have a superb paint job on par with the prototype.

Last edited:
JustinLuck said:
I would rather pay extra if it could guarantee that the figure would have a superb paint job on par with the prototype.

In this price range you shoulnd't need to pay extra to get that superior paintjob. In fact, imho there shouldn't even be a need for these kind of discussions :rolleyes:

Compare these to the paint apps on human characters from other companies - Attakus, Bowen, etc. Those are all pretty much one tone over the face, in fact the paint apps are on the same level - a factory paint job will never be the same as a custom job by a professional.

Monster said:
A $300.00 Museum quality figure shouldn't have paint problems.

You're kidding right? While I'm not happy with the paint problems either, there's no question they are an absolute steal for the price. You must consider that I bought the Han 1/4 for $200. I got a piece with paint worthy of a $200 piece.

A paintjob from a good paintmaster can be REALLY expensive. Depending on who you go with, to get a 1/4 scale fully sculpted piece painted can run between $400-$1,000. Let's just say I speak from experience and leave it at that. Of course Han would be less because he is not fully sculpted, but you get the point.

"Perfect paint", as you call it, would require a price tag of $500 or more at an absolute minimum on a 1/4 piece. That is exactly what I would want to see happen, but I'm not so self-absorbed as to believe that it ever would. The market is just not there for it.

Now on the $1,000 Predator maquette or the $1,500 Cinemaquettes, the paint had better damn well be perfect. There is no reason to pay that much and not get a custom paint job.

elwood49 said:
You're kidding right? While I'm not happy with the paint problems either, there's no question they are an absolute steal for the price. You must consider that I bought the Han 1/4 for $200. I got a piece with paint worthy of a $200 piece.

A paintjob from a good paintmaster can be REALLY expensive. Depending on who you go with, to get a 1/4 scale fully sculpted piece painted can run between $400-$1,000. Let's just say I speak from experience and leave it at that. Of course Han would be less because he is not fully sculpted, but you get the point.

"Perfect paint", as you call it, would require a price tag of $500 or more at an absolute minimum on a 1/4 piece. That is exactly what I would want to see happen, but I'm not so self-absorbed as to believe that it ever would. The market is just not there for it.

Now on the $1,000 Predator maquette or the $1,500 Cinemaquettes, the paint had better damn well be perfect. There is no reason to pay that much and not get a custom paint job.

Exactly, I think some people have no appreciation for what kind of skill is required for propper shading and tone mixture. This will never happen by a bunch of people on an assambly line in China. For what these really cost 60-70% of retail they are worth the money as is, no doubt in my mind.

Jesse

Jesseawilson said:
Exactly, I think some people have no appreciation for what kind of skill is required for propper shading and tone mixture. This will never happen by a bunch of people on an assambly line in China. For what these really cost 60-70% of retail they are worth the money as is, no doubt in my mind.

Jesse

I agree completely Jesse. I think people tend to forget the huge amount of man power that goes into producing one of these pieces. $300 may seem like a lot of money when taken in isolation, but it's really not when you consider the actual amount of time spent to make just one piece. A custom paint job would easily double or triple the price.

However, those that want a better paint job can easily obtain it through a number of avenues, such as hiring someone to repaint it for you. The new paint will probably cost more than the statue, though.

There's no way I could afford to collect these if they carried a higher price and more custom paint job. I would rather have an excellent looking figure that I can afford than a perfect looking figure that is out of my price range. Those for whom money is not an issue can hire somebody to repaint it, as I have seen many do.

Darklord Dave said:
Compare these to the paint apps on human characters from other companies - Attakus, Bowen, etc. Those are all pretty much one tone over the face, in fact the paint apps are on the same level - a factory paint job will never be the same as a custom job by a professional.

That is incorrect about Attakus, even the lousy Luke face has shades.

larbob said:

And yet it still looks like crap if you ask me. The SS luke it 10 times the figure the Attakus is and costs less......

Jesse

larbob said:

That is why the price of Attakus pieces are so high- the paint quality. I hear people complain about their prices all the time, but I have never heard a complaint about their paintjobs.

Their pieces are painted in France, and seem to be of a much higher paint quality than their main competition (GG and SS), IMO. I collect the SS 1/4's as my main line of choice, but Attakus makes an excellent product.

The SS human sculpts are MUCH better, but the Attakus paint is significantly better. If only it were possible to combine the two...sigh.

elwood49 said:
That is why the price of Attakus pieces are so high- the paint quality. I hear people complain about their prices all the time, but I have never heard a complaint about their paintjobs.

Their pieces are painted in France, and seem to be of a much higher paint quality than their main competition (GG and SS), IMO. I collect the SS 1/4's as my main line of choice, but Attakus makes an excellent product.

The SS human sculpts are MUCH better, but the Attakus paint is significantly better. If only it were possible to combine the two...sigh.
WRONG.................They Are Painted In CHINA my Friend..............:eek:

I AM aware of the skill, time, and talent it takes to make a good paint job. And that is why I am totally willing to pay extra if Sideshow offered an option for the figure to look just as good as the prototype.

JustinLuck said:
I AM aware of the skill, time, and talent it takes to make a good paint job. And that is why I am totally willing to pay extra if Sideshow offered an option for the figure to look just as good as the prototype.

So then hire a master painter to do it for you, you should be able to find plenty on the SF. SS will never offer to supersize the paintjob so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Jesse

Last edited:
Back