Is Sideshow growing too big?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer the sideshow of old. That's because I felt that they connected more with us back then. No time for that now.

If I was sideshow and had to read and talk to half of the picky **** heads on this forum I would hide too. :lol

Posting these quotes from the Cobra Commander thread in the G.I. Joe Section. We were discussing this very issue last week:

whats happening to SS? they are no longer the company they were 5 years ago

Really telling how Sideshow has been steadily going down. They're definitely NOT the company they used to be, that's for sure.

Regarding the lack of futzing and the crappy pics, I've noticed a downward trend in Sideshow's graphic design, and it's more evident in the display boxes. Not that too many people care, but look at how detailed design wise the display boxes of PFs and maquettes were a few years ago to the ones released now. Interestingly, this downward turn coincided with Q leaving his position as Sideshow's graphic design manager.

FYI, not to stoke the fires any, and I'm sure I'll get heat for this, but at least 20 people have left Sideshow since I left, most at the management level with many decades of experience. I still have friends there and wish them the best, but it is most definitely not the same company that I started with.

For those that don't know, Sideshow Q was the former Graphic Arts and Photography Manager.

Last edited:
I enjoy reading the little bios that came on the older PF boxes. We get none of that now:(

Not that I want to read into it too much, but it's never a good sign when multiple people with many years of experience all leave a company within a short time frame.

They do have good CS, but in the past it was even better. And it seems that as they grew, the CS began to tank.

Overall they are still a good company. But have had slippage in a lot of areas.

As Sideshow has grown, they've not adequately grown the CS department. I feel sorry for those lovely ladies.

As long as they are offering something I want, I don't care how big they get.

thats-what-she-said.gif

way less has arrived broken from GG for me... and when U call for breakage they actually give replacements

can't believe I'm defending GG lol

I prefer the sideshow of old. That's because I felt that they connected more with us back then. No time for that now.

I agree, just look at last years Spooktacular as evidence. With their shift to social media and their attempt to get new customers (which I can’t blame them for since the more customers the better overall) but they forgot about the true core of people who have supported them for so long. Its also frustrating when 95% of the social media comments are gimme, gimme, gimme and Sideshow rewards them for it…. just seems to be another kick in the nuts to the long time supporters.

i would say they had a problem a couple of years back but they seem to have straightened things out with their customer service and factory issues. the amount of lines they distribute must be mind boggling to a noob on staff. i think after that slip, they are doing great!!!

That was evident with the last Spook.

Anyway, I've been lucky that I haven't had to send anything back and what I have gotten has been great. I just don't like the way they've treated the LotR line and The Hobbit line that was promised last year hasn't surfaced at all. Which is why my purchases from SSC are mostly Hot Toys now.

If they could get the QC straight and stop screwing people over they would be ok. Once you stop giving a damn so will your customers.

If I was sideshow and had to read and talk to half of the picky **** heads on this forum I would hide too. :lol

That's for sure! And some people don't realize that the CS people don't make the products themselves so you can't take it out on them.

I called about a couple of things recently and was taken care of just fine, but the lady I talked to sounded kinda sad or tired. Usually they seem a bit more cheerful. I was going to ask her if all was well, but I figured it was none of my business.

I have two pieces I am waiting on to get fixed by them.. their customer service blows. It's not what it used to be. I can go into details, but I simply don't care. I am so being put off this company. To be honest it is probably for the best. I get to focus my spending on upgrades to the house. Much better investment.

What really irks me about how they do business now is the NRD for items with no set edition size. They have been going to "Limited Edition" with too many items or ended up making 2-3K for an "exclusive" edition. That only creates more delays with their products as they try to sell way too many of each premium format.

Back