Is it wrong to expect perfect paint applications?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it is wrong to expect proper QC at all but unfortunately I don't work for Sideshow...

As far as what I quoted, I doubt it. On all my e-mails for replacements, I have been asking them to forward my messages for looking at increasing QC and complaints from the boards of fellow collectors to the appropriate people. I just think they don't care even though the cost of improving their QC would probably offset the shipping/replacement costs.

Here is a thread with what happened to me after my last rash of replacements.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49783

I thought they might have started doing the same for me because both boxes had been opened then retaped and there was no QC sticker on the foam carton. If that's the case, they're blind because my second IM was worse than the first.

My first IM replacement bust that was "inspected" before shipping had a paint chip in it so it was probably inspected by someone in the warehouse that doesn't care what it looks like. I requested that my next one be inspected by someone there that is either also a collector or else someone more knowledgeable about the product from the office.

My first IM replacement bust that was "inspected" before shipping had a paint chip in it so it was probably inspected by someone in the warehouse that doesn't care what it looks like. I requested that my next one be inspected by someone there that is either also a collector or else someone more knowledgeable about the product from the office.

unfortunately i don't really believe shipping costs are all that much of a concern for them. since the amount they are charging for shipping more than makes up for the return shippments.

they end up charging the general consumer the regular shipping charges, but they actually only get charged a fraction of that from the shipping company, be it either fedex of ups.
so if they ship out 1500 ironmans at a shipping cost of say $75 average to each retail customer for a total of $112,500 for shipping revenue to customers, but when they receive their statement from the courier company they will only get billed say $45 average per shipment, for a total cost of shipping of $67,500 and a profit of $45,000 :horrorjust on the shipping.

now these amounts are not exact and are only from my personal experience in the shipping industry and how the ups/fedex have companies sign contracts to ship frieght with them and the amount of discount on frieght charges are usually tied to the volume of product shipped.
i do know that discounts in shipping can run as much as 80% off of retail shipping that the average joe would pay, depending on the total volume per month or year.

so the items that are returned to ssc really aren't costing them much in extra shipping charges.

Well if that actually is the case, then there is no reason for them to worry about QC is there...

Well if that actually is the case, then there is no reason for them to worry about QC is there...

probably not, and that's why we haven't seen much of an improvement so far.
there always seems to be some issue with each piece that is released.:(

as well as the fact that this $700 bust probably doesn't cost ssc anymore than about $200-$250 landed in california. it kinda gives you an idea of why some of these pieces just get passed off as acceptable. also that ssc really isn't all that concerned about QC.:mad:

should we expect perfection???? i guess that's in the eye of the purchaser, but we should expect something that is acceptable to our standards. we can not expect workers located in these third world countries to give paint jobs and sculpting that's going to meet our own standards on a regular basis.

so i guess if ssc is willing to keep up with the no hassle return policy then they have to live with constant returns for sub par workmanship, and since it really isn't hitting them in the pocket book, i can't see them changing anytime soon.:(

Well if the QC is too bad then some people won't accept any of the replacements and they'll have alot left over. I guess there are enough people like me who aren't too particular that make up for those people.

Well if the QC is too bad then some people won't accept any of the replacements and they'll have alot left over. I guess there are enough people like me who aren't too particular that make up for those people.

i'm kinda one of them people, if i open it up and don't see a hole in the middle of his armour, and give him the once over and don't see anything really bad then i'm okay with it. not saying that my standards are ok, or should be adopted by others, but it just shows how alot of these pieces end up staying out there with them not getting returned.

for all we know if the right person looked at every im bust, we could see that there is something wrong with everyone of them.

I'm going to start taking a poo on my unsatisfactory pieces before I return them from now on. Chew on my quality control, Sideshow.

Here we go another Sideshow bashing thread

Yes Sideshow has QC issues, but Hot Toys has plenty too (you can't repaint rotting bodies, and parts that snap off)

Yes Sideshow has QC issues, but Hot Toys has plenty too (you can't repaint rotting bodies, and parts that snap off)

i don't think this is bashing ssc, (though i haven't read the complete thread):D for myself i've been probably 98% happy with all the items i've received from ssc.
i was just stating some of the economic reasons why ssc maybe doing things the way they are. right or wrong in the end it is their choice in how they want to handle QC and the returns that they continue to recieve.

In the end, any company that starts letting it's customers down with poor production work, is going to suffer in this credit crunch.
I'm sure the Iron Man bust issue is of great concern to Sideshow

I don't think anyone here has bashed SSC...they've just voiced their dissatisfaction with SSC's Quality Assurance issues.

Personally...I've only had one issue with SSC's QA and that was with the Anakin Skywalker PF's lightsaber not working. A replacement was quickly sent but it didn't work either. I'm waiting to hear from SSC's CS on this issue.

For the amount of money collectors pay for these high end collectibles, it's not unreasonable to expect top quality.

Hot Toys must redesign their wrist pegs or, at least, they should give you a set of pegs for every set of hands. Sideshow's wrist pegs on their new bodies are far superior.

Now back to your regularly scheduled ^^^^ing and moaning. :D

I don't think anyone here has bashed SSC...they've just voiced their dissatisfaction with SSC's Quality Assurance issues.

Personally...I've only had one issue with SSC's QA and that was with the Anakin Skywalker PF's lightsaber not working. A replacement was quickly sent but it didn't work either. I'm waiting to hear from SSC's CS on this issue.

For the amount of money collectors pay for these high end collectibles, it's not unreasonable to expect top quality.

You need to FIRMLY push the hand in place or it won't light up.

GWEN'S LEGS ROCK IN THAT SIG!

Gwen Stefani... :drool

Back