Is it wrong to expect perfect paint applications?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the problem too, I'm always afraid of breaking something on a PF.

It is Bull^^^^, when you consider what it takes these days to make $700...the 1:1 IM bust for example. The average hourly rate is $12/hour...you would have to work 59 hours to make that kind of money..."59 HOURS!"...and that's BEFORE tax...so you actually have to work even more to make that kind of cash!
You would expect a company like SS to understand the fact that the majority of their clientele are people in and around this income bracket. So when a customer go's and drops $700+ on a product their doing so with the understanding they will be getting something jaw dropping for their hard earned cash when handing it over. So you can imagine what an insult and a blow it is when we recive something that looks as if it was painted by a drunk 5 year old with a spray can. Its not right, and if a company gets to the point where their new moto is "the creed is greed"....they wont last long and their customers will let them know it.

Chris

Last edited:
"Re: Is it wrong to expect perfect paint applications?"

If it is wrong...I dont wanna be right.

Another express update today with 10 more "minor" paint flawed IM busts for $50 off!

Great job Sideshow!

It is Bull^^^^, when you consider what it takes these days to make $700...the 1:1 IM bust for example. The average hourly rate is $12/hour...you would have to work 59 hours to make that kind of money..."59 HOURS!"...and that's BEFORE tax...so you actually have to work even more to make that kind of cash!
You would expect a company like SS to understand the fact that the majority of their clientele are people in and around this income bracket. So when a customer go's and drops $700+ on a product their doing so with the understanding they will be getting something jaw dropping for their hard earned cash when handing it over. So you can imagine what an insult and a blow it is when we recive something that looks as if it was painted by a drunk 5 year old with a spray can. Its not right, and if a company gets to the point where their new moto is "the creed is greed"....they wont last long and their customers will let them know it.

Chris

i don't recall :rolleyes: did you have a problem with your IM bust :cool:

Another express update today with 10 more "minor" paint flawed IM busts for $50 off!

Great job Sideshow!

i think ssc going to have to take alot more off than $50 off of them to move em.
more like $100-$200. since it's already well overpriced, as well as way over produced. imo

That express update made me laugh!

HURRY YOU GUYS! YOU CAN GET THIS BUST FOR $50 LESS!!! OH MY GOD! AND IGNORE THE "MINOR" PAINT FLAWS.... THEY WILL NOT DETRACT FROM THE DISPLAY AND ENJOYMENT OF THE BUST!
you see??? .... they will not detract from the.... oh forget it... too much of an easy target!

Chris

:lecture :lecture

Totally agree bro.

With the dollar and euro pretty much on parity, with the pound at it's lowest point for as long as I can remember, and with the state of the [world] economy, it's really disheartning for anyone that works hard for that cash to hand it over, and then get something that's less than perfect. That's why I really feel for anyone that's got a piece with even the tiniest flaw. It's not about being finicky... it's about getting exactly what you paid for. If I buy a new car, I expect to pick it up from the showroom without seeing a tiny nick in the glass somewhere... "Sorry" from the sales dude won't cut it in that instance.. I'm either getting a flawless new car, or I'm walking into the duck with my cash. Why then should we not be meeted out the same decent treatment? :monkey3

I think that this thread is spot-on, and jbinny, it is absolutely not wrong to expect perfect paint apps.. if this were some $20 Bishijou statue (like the cheap Cammy piece I got from HK! :naughty) it's understandable. But this is a $700 piece. 7 bills is like a year's wages in some impoverished countries! That's money only true enthusiasts like us will spend without making too much of it, so long as we get what we see in the SideShow pics gallery.

I really hope that SideShow looks into these issues. I mean, looking @ Hulk or Cap or even the much much older pieces, the paint jobs are arguably museum quality. But looking at the recent pieces with all the gloss/shiny paint and blotches (in the faulty pieces, obviously) the whole "Museum Quality" argument becomes a hard one to sustain does it not?

That express update made me laugh!

HURRY YOU GUYS! YOU CAN GET THIS BUST FOR $50 LESS!!! OH MY GOD! AND IGNORE THE "MINOR" PAINT FLAWS.... THEY WILL NOT DETRACT FROM THE DISPLAY AND ENJOYMENT OF THE BUST!
you see??? .... they will not detract from the.... oh forget it... too much of an easy target!

Hey Spartan,

Did you resolve the paint issue on your Thor PF with Play?

What are some of the flaws with the busts paint apps?

Read through the 1:1 IM bust thread that got closed. There are reports of everything from fingerprint smudges in the paint to poorly painted necks to rough spots on the bust to paint chips.

Here are my pictures I posted in it.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1400258&postcount=1038

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1400269&postcount=1039

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1490068&postcount=1784

Hey Spartan,

Did you resolve the paint issue on your Thor PF with Play?

Yea, they took it back but had no replacement so gave me a full refund.
I got one from Forbidden Planet in the end.

Are you getting the t-800 pf?

Ah, I see, most of that looks small enough I probably wouldn't even notice it. Except for the chip in the replacement, that was pretty obvious. Although then again there is a black paint smudge on my Spider-Man PF's mask that I didn't notice for almost a year so maybe I would have missed that too. I can understand the frustration though, if I was observant enough to notice it, it would bug me too.

As it is though I would be willing to get one, if I could afford it. Maybe if they drop the price a little more I can swing it.

Ah, I see, most of that looks small enough I probably wouldn't even notice it. Except for the chip in the replacement, that was pretty obvious. Although then again there is a black paint smudge on my Spider-Man PF's mask that I didn't notice for almost a year so maybe I would have missed that too. I can understand the frustration though, if I was observant enough to notice it, it would bug me too.

As it is though I would be willing to get one, if I could afford it. Maybe if they drop the price a little more I can swing it.

They used to have $75 discount on this, but now only $50.
I wonder if this batch has less defects.

I must have missed the 75 dollar discount. I guess either these are better or the others sold well enough that they figured they'd lower the discount a bit.

Yea, they took it back but had no replacement so gave me a full refund.
I got one from Forbidden Planet in the end.

Are you getting the t-800 pf?

Nice!

Nope. I'm a huge Terminator fan but right now I've got to be a lot more selective of PFs due to space and the number of pieces I've already have pre-ordered. Marvel and Street Fighter take priority for now :monkey3

Back