Is it wrong to expect perfect paint applications?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know you don't mean that "j/k" :)

But yeah, when you're dropping several $100s, things need to go as expected, else you alienate your customers. Thus, possibly losing them.

And you're the exact type of person that I wouldn't do a god damn thing to help if you bought something sealed from me and it wound up looking like crap.

I had a case where the buyer wanted his statue sealed and it wound up having crap paint (Rogue ex.). I went out of my way to make it right and after shipping it back and forth, wound up making a whopping $10 on that one. Lesson learned... I make it clear to everyone who insists on something staying sealed that if they don't want it inspected and it arrives flawed/broken then it's on them.

For you, I would have said "tough sh-t!" :D

I had a case where the buyer wanted his statue sealed and it wound up having crap paint (Rogue ex.). I went out of my way to make it right and after shipping it back and forth, wound up making a whopping $10 on that one.

:violin:violin:violin

I ended up paying another $100 for a repaint of the JP dio, thanks to the piss poor paint apps. The repaint was well worth it, but it's the paint job I should have had from SS to begin with.

The lazy eye problem and any other uneven paint on items exceeding $100 shouldn't exist. Period.

My standards are high in everything. So i do expect as close to perfection as possible. the bigger the size of the items, the more they should get them perfect imo. And if they can't get them close to perfect or up to my standards it has no place in my collection.

Last edited:
It's not wrong to expect it, but that doesn't mean you'll get it.

I think everyone has their level of what is unacceptable and when something hits that level I say vote with your feet, or your wallet as the case may be here. If Sideshow's QC is getting really bad they better watch it or it'll start costing them.

Is this really about the IM bust? That really sucks, that thing looked awesome and is a bust I would have loved to have, but not with a bad paint job.

At the current prices of some of the pieces, I expect paint application etc. to be very close to perfect.

If it doesn't meet my standards, I'll pass. Regardless how much I'd like to add the piece to my collection. I'm not blowing money just because I can. If their sales go down then perhaps they'll investigate and fix the problem. If not, plenty other places to go for my fix.

for $200 and up, should be near to perfect!...I don't mind minor damages like a scratch or scuff stemming from transit(Canadian Collector), but a manufacturing defect, that's different!....and yeah, the last two pieces I received from SSC had major paint problems!:huh................................................Kotobukiya's starting to look good....

for $200 and up, should be near to perfect!...I don't mind minor damages like a scratch or scuff stemming from transit(Canadian Collector), but a manufacturing defect, that's different!....and yeah, the last two pieces I received from SSC had major paint problems!:huh................................................Kotobukiya's starting to look good....

...ewww, sorry, but koto has a LONG way to go to compare to Sideshow..

For the price we pay, I expect the paint apps to be pretty much perfect as well. At the very least, they should look just like the prototype, or at least not have any significant changes.

I'm with everyone else on this subject. We are buying high end statues, and there is nothing wrong wanting perfection. We can't give them part payment and expect them to ship us our product, so why should we take any less than perfection from them.

They want full payment and we want fully painted statues!

I don' think it is wrong at all to expect those things. Especially when it's for a $700 product.

Can you imagine the horror for international buyers that after paying high shipping cost and customs fee only to find low quality product and probably have to send it back / destroy it to get a replacement and risk on being hit with another customs fee?

I don't think it's wrong to expect a high quality (I won't say perfect, everything has flaws in someway) product, especially for the prices that we pay.

SSC's QA should have very tight Standards & Tolerances.

High end prices = Top Quality product.

Hot Toys is able to have their final products come if either just as good or better than the prototype. Sideshow on the other hand is always guaranteed to come out far worse than their prototype. It makes their figures not worth buying, especially if you are going to pay extra every time just to have it repainted.

I think it's a natural expectation. If I buy a book, I expect the binding to be perfect, the paper to be new and not be missing any pages so, yes, I want my paint and sculpt to be perfect.

i think the fig should be perfect right out of the box, no paint touch ups, no body swap, ect....these aint hasbro's and arent 7 or 8 bucks a piece.

Hopefully someone at Sideshow sees this thread and realizes their lack of quality control is really going to bite them in the arse.

Hopefully someone at Sideshow sees this thread and realizes their lack of quality control is really going to bite them in the arse.

I don't think it is wrong to expect proper QC at all but unfortunately I don't work for Sideshow...

As far as what I quoted, I doubt it. On all my e-mails for replacements, I have been asking them to forward my messages for looking at increasing QC and complaints from the boards of fellow collectors to the appropriate people. I just think they don't care even though the cost of improving their QC would probably offset the shipping/replacement costs.

Here is a thread with what happened to me after my last rash of replacements.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49783

Back