Is Hot Toys changing how they do character selection on certain lines?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthkush

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just a couple of years ago(less in some cases), it felt like Hot Toys was going all in on several of their big lines. Just about every character in Captain America:Civil War got a figure and Batman v Superman gave us TONS of Affleck varients as well as Superman and Wonder Woman. Star Wars the Force Awakens went(seemingly) nuts on troopers but also gave us 2 Reys, a Finn, a Kylo and a few others.

But then....things started to change. Suicide Squad was basically only Jokers and Harleys....and Deadshot. Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 didn't even give us the main Guardian crew outside of the returning Starlord and Rocket and new Yondu and I'm slowly starting to think we're only getting half the Justice League and Las Jedi will be skimpier than Force Awakens.

Do you think Hot Toys is being more cautious about what they put out or getting pickier about characters or what? It's kinda weird to me that people are expecting them to go nuts on Infinity War. I'm not. I expect we're gonna get MUCH less than what people think. Is it just me or is anybody else noticing this stuff?

No, they've always done this.

See Watchmen. Why you wouldn't start with Rorschach is beyond anyone.

Yes, I know they've done it but it seemed like the past couple of years, they've gone heavier on character selection and now seems like they're scaling back again. I don't understand why as it seems like most of those they went hard on sold very well.

They’re less interested in doing some of the secondary characters because of the R&D costs and factory scheduling. The juice has to be worth the squeeze. Batman sells: he gets every rendition. Iron Man sells: they make them all. So a secondary GOTG character or Suicide Squad guy has to be a calculated risk. They bet on Yondu and they bet on Will Smith.

Back