InArt Thorin Oakenshield 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What worries me a bit is that Thorin might have very weak sales, implying there's not a that big interest in Middle Earth figures other than the main cast in LOTR, burying 2nd or 3rd tier figures plans.
Good point. 👍
Let's just hope they changed their mind, or that it's actually Gimli in his leisure suit.

I also enjoyed the Hobbit films, and would love Inart to delve into some of the characters from the films. Imagine a Thranduil in his armour figure. I have several of the Asmus version, which is a great figure, but I reckon Inart would produce something super special!!!!
If they do produce more than Thorin, eventually I’d like to see Bilbo, Kili, Bard and Thranduil, but I’d have to say my most wanted figure from the Hobbit trilogy would be Dain Ironfoot.

What worries me a bit is that Thorin might have very weak sales, implying there's not a that big interest in Middle Earth figures other than the main cast in LOTR, burying 2nd or 3rd tier figures plans.
Absolutely agree.
It surely wont reach numberwise 5k PO like Gandalf did.

Then again if they simply do not ask the fans in a measureable way on weibo/fb/instagram etc. what we want that can lead to this.

Thorin might get less than half of the POs what any of the following Legolas/Boromir/Gimli/Frodo&Sam could get imo.

I simply do not understand what are they basing their decisions on. But I doubt they dont care about money at all.

A weird choice since this franchise had a mixed response from audiences, and is several years old. As others have said, this isn't an iconic franchise that stands the test of time like LOTR. Plus the character isn't well known by the general public.
I never heard of the guy before seeing the movie. And he's not very aesthetically pleasing. Drab, ugly kind of dude, doesn't look all that bad-ass or impressive in other ways. Hardly checks any boxes of what you would like to see from a 1/6 scale figure. But I'm guessing the tailoring will look really nice.

If they wanted to do something from this movie, it really should have been Bilbo in my opinion.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I’m disappointed that it’s Thorin. Would have rather had Legolas next up. Congrats to you though who are happy.
Yea, I'm not interested in *any* of the characters from that disastrous Hobbit trilogy. Just give me the nine members of the original fellowship with a few other key characters (King Théoden, Saruman, Elrond) and I'll consider my collection complete.

I also enjoyed the Hobbit films, and would love Inart to delve into some of the characters from the films. Imagine a Thranduil in his armour figure. I have several of the Asmus version, which is a great figure, but I reckon Inart would produce something super special!!!!
That's interesting to ponder for me anyway.
Since I like costumes. And weapons. 😁
Anyway one thing that fascinated me visually was Thorin's tunic - in the film I couldn't at first (at Bag End) make out what the light was sparking off his tunic - jewels, or what. Ended reading a whole lot about medieval armor, brigandine armor, medieval weapons.

Anyway, IMO ASMUS did a fantastic job with Thorin's costume; at first wasn't sure whether they used metal plates or not. So would another company actually use metal armor plates on the tunic? The hair, I'm sure will be mohair. Will just assume diecast weapons. Or will they be the first to do a gold armor Thorin?

My Thorins and Gimlis might have come out of the box yesterday and have held up great. For me this will be an indulgence for my favorite ME character. I'd probably buy Thranduil again too. Dain I'd be falling over myself to get the card out.

Hopefully IA are smart enough to know there’s a difference between Hobbit popularity vs LOTR.

A The Hobbit main character doesn’t stir anywhere near as much excitement as the likes of a Haldir (for certain board members,) Eowyn in a briefly seen dress, or even unnamed Orcs from LOTR.

Thorin is shocking....as it was never something in demand.

Inart said no Hobits, then gave use a disappointing tease of Thorin. Those movie blew chunks compared to the original Trilogy.

I think people including myself are upset about Inarts simply buring a character slot that could have been used for a more in demand LOTR character like Sam/Frodo/Gimli/Sauron/Saruman.
Exactly my thoughts too, dude. Even though I wouldn‘t preorder Gimli anyway because of my strict check list ( I know I’m lame), I still think it‘s an odd choice that I would assume many (not all) LoTR fans would be disappointed in. It makes more sense to release the 3 hunters first then break up the rest of the fellowship with some other middle earth characters here and there...but even then..why not pick a character from LoTR? Like Eomer? That character deserves a solid figure imo…

Inart seem pretty receptive to fan commentary - if enough people indicate they would prefer a LOTR character to a Hobbit one I think they would take it on board, especially if its done before it goes up for pre-order.
Unless of course Thorin is a demand by WB they feel they can't ignore - in which case they would probably still have to make him but would probably understand why it won't sell as well as their LOTR Gandalf and Aragorn.

Inart seem pretty receptive to fan commentary - if enough people indicate they would prefer a LOTR character to a Hobbit one I think they would take it on board, especially if its done before it goes up for pre-order.
Unless of course Thorin is a demand by WB they feel they can't ignore - in which case they would probably still have to make him but would probably understand why it won't sell as well as their LOTR Gandalf and Aragorn.
Sometimes the choices aren't necessarily InArts. A studio (like Disney for example) can dictate what gets releases and when / in what order etc. It's a marketing thing. They probably want to stagger Fellowship and Hobbit to spread it out over a course of time rather than blow their load all at once on Fellowship etc.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's possible the license dictates that they have to mix in a few Hobbit characters every once in a while. And while Thorin likely wouldn't sell as well as a lot of characters from LotR, he's probably one of the most sellable figures from The Hobbit films.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's possible the license dictates that they have to mix in a few Hobbit characters every once in a while. And while Thorin likely wouldn't sell as well as a lot of characters from LotR, he's probably the most sellable figures from The Hobbit films.
Yeah, I can see that being the reason, but Martin's Bilbo probably would have been a better choice - or they could have beaten Asmus to the punch and done Thranduil before anyone else.

Yeah, I can see that being the reason, but Martin's Bilbo probably would have been a better choice - or they could have beaten Asmus to the punch and done Thranduil before anyone else.

True. But maybe they haven't developed a hobbit body yet? Seems like that might take a bit more work and engineering than a dwarf body. Figuring out how to do hobbit feet is always a challenge. Do they go with hard sculpted feet, or do they innovate something seamless but flexible. (Seems like InArt would want to do the latter.) So maybe doing a dwarf was easier at this point?

Very odd choice given InArt originally had Legolas and the Nazgul in the first wave. I suppose its positive in the sense that it opens up the entire Middle Earth line to be made but as other posters have pointed out Thorin was one of Asmus' best releases and more than good enough so its an easy pass for me.

This company is moving too slowly to mess around with a character like Thorin. The Asmus one is very good. Meanwhile, most of the Fellowship is a shameful train wreck.

In original price range don't think ASMUS Thorin could be better. Gimli either tho there were "lively discussions" about Gimli's chain mail. For myself if I need "real" chain mail I'd tackle it, but someone did that for ASMUS Eowyn and it's work to do that to scale. 2-3mm rings. Thorin maybe could use mohair hair but at some point I want to learn that.

I'll buy Thorin for sure but I wouldn't be that fazed if InArt changed their lineup. Thing is tho - speculating - they need to develop hobbit bodies, dwarf bodies, multiple hands. How much are folks willing to pay for 4 hobbits if InArt needs to clear a profit?

Back